Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → FINALLY beat Doom 3
FINALLY beat Doom 3
2005-01-14, 2:09 PM #1
A few days ago actually. Finished it at 3 a.m. then went to sleep. I hadn't played the game in two months before then. I loaded a save game from the communication station. I have to say, the game was not too much fun when I was playing it, but now that I'm done, I think it's actually not that bad. The storyline, though simple, is interesting. One thing I was impressed with was the attention to detail throughout the whole game. The developers and artists really took their time with it, even at the end of the game, unlike some games that seem to have been rushed at the end.

My major complaint is that it was too predictable and the boss fights were easy. Once I figured out what to hit on the hell boss, it didn't take very long to beat and I wasn't struggling at all to beat him. The final boss was painfully easy. I was able to beat him with nothing more than the shotgun and soul cube. Sarge was ridiculously easy as well. A hit from the soul cube and a couple of rockets and he was done. Boss fights definately should have been more interesting.

Hell was disappointing as well, but that has been mentioned many, many times before. I still need to play Painkiller through, so maybe Painkiller's hell will be better.

Overall, not a bad game, entertaining at least, but lacking. Maybe the expansion will be better. Then again, I probably won't be getting the expansion unless I happen to have some extra money floating about. Though I must say, I really liked the ending. Oh, by the way, if you choose not to send the communication to the fleet, do you get a different ending? If so, it might make it worth playing through again.

So, post your final thoughts about Doom 3.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-14, 2:15 PM #2
Painkiller's Hell is completely different than Doom 3's. I won't give anything away though. I don't know which one I prefer, but in Painkiller, I thought their idea of Hell was really neat.

Overall, I thought Doom 3 was a good game. The AI could use some work, yes, and it is rather dark in places, but the level of immersion was amazing (in other words, when I first played it, I spent like 15 minutes in the common area playing "Super Turkey Punch" and watching the news). The environments are really detailed as well.
Stuff
2005-01-14, 2:16 PM #3
In response to your Hell...paragraph..thingy...

Painkiller Hell rocks, but Lucifer is a pushover.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-14, 2:18 PM #4
Doom 3 has the absolute best atmosphere and immersion.

It was a pretty good game, I would personally recommend it, but dont go in the game guns flying.
Trust me, number one way of getting killed.
2005-01-14, 2:23 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master

Heh... it took me like five rounds to figure out how to hurt him... then I figured it out. But according to what's-his-face, Alastor, Lucifer was a pansy-*** anyways.
Stuff
2005-01-14, 2:23 PM #6
you used rockets and soulcube on sarge?

i used nothing but the pistol and shot the BFG balls as soon as he fired them... didn't even have to shoot him once
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-14, 3:19 PM #7
I so verily want a mod which makes the end boss of Doom 3 ubertough, more monsters at the end... and vulnerable to normal weapons. No soulcube, either.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-01-14, 3:33 PM #8
I think the game MUST change slightly when you don't send the communication... I didn't send the communication because I thought the sarge was a bit of a push over. So I got one version of events, does it really change? :confused:
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-01-14, 3:42 PM #9
I doubt everyone complaining about the difficulty has gone back and tried it on nightmare now that they've beaten it. I know I haven't, it frightens me
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-01-14, 4:20 PM #10
Nightmare is from the devil.
That is all I have to say.
2005-01-14, 4:25 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master
In response to your Hell...paragraph..thingy...

I'll see for myself... once I manage to beat that damn Monastery level....
2005-01-14, 4:27 PM #12
I thought Doom 3's hell was really lousy. The rest of the game was very nicely made, though.
>>untie shoes
2005-01-14, 4:34 PM #13
Yeah, I expected it to mess with your mind a little more.
It was not scary at all, while in the UAC base, I was always on the edge of my seat.

↑ Up to the top!