Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → NFL playoffs
NFL playoffs
2005-01-16, 5:16 PM #1
Well it's down to four teams now. For the NFC championship, it's the Falcons Vs. the Eagles and for the AFC championship, it's the Steelers Vs. the Patriots. What teams are you rooting for (Eagles for me...hopefully they won't choke like they did for the last three years)? The Steelers were so lucky with that game against the Jets. The Jets kicker missed like two field goals towards the end of the game. I didn't watch the Colts Vs. Patriots game, but I did check the score and was surprised at the huge blow out. Anything spectacular happen in that game? How can a MVP quarterback such as Manning (49 TDs in the season) not have a single touchdown pass?
2005-01-16, 5:55 PM #2
He's traditionally bad against the pats. Same as the colts in general. I'm disappointed. I was rooting for them. Oh well, maybe now they can get a better defense.

I kinda want to see a Steelers/Eagles Super Bowl, but its most likely going to be a Pats/Eagles.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2005-01-16, 6:02 PM #3
The Pats jsut know how to play in the playoffs. They were at another level in their game today.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-16, 6:38 PM #4
As much as I hate the Pats, avenger is completely right. THERE WERE NO COLTS RECIEVERS OPEN TODAY. Also, had they maybe gone to a 4 reciever set, things may have opened up for them. I don't even know the name of their fourth reciever. But hey, if it aint broke, dont fix it.
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-01-16, 6:40 PM #5
Manning is 0-5 at Foxborro. His receivers dropped at least 4-5 passes, Manning had to throw away at least that many due to his receivers being so well covered, Edgerin James was kept under control, the Pats D rocked out, and Corey Dillon is the man.
2005-01-16, 6:51 PM #6
I hate living in Minnesota.
2005-01-16, 7:16 PM #7
I'm going with Falcons vs. Steelers.

I hate to say it, and I know it's probably not gonna happend, but I have a feeling that the Falcons will win the Super Bowl
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-01-16, 10:05 PM #8
If they do, it'll be because of the Michael Vick Experience. Absolutely amazing to watch.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-16, 10:40 PM #9
I'm tired of Payton Manning. I don't really like him nor do I want to see him on so many comercials. It's nice to see the Colts fail to beat the top seed at home, unlike the two times they've done it against the Chiefs during my lifetime.
2005-01-16, 10:53 PM #10
I didnt get to watch any Playoff action this weekend, due to work. I did see the first half of the Viking vs Philly game, and that fumble/forward pass into the end zone by the fullback to Freddie Mitchell was pretty awesome. Never seen anything like it, not even in back yard stuff (we tended to not flip each other over each others shoulders to takle each other).
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2005-01-16, 10:54 PM #11
Peyton is the Dan Marino of our Era. Everyone has to have a Marino. Dan Marino is the best quarterback to never win a championship. If peyton continues, dan will be the second best quarterback to never win the super bowl.

And the Vick experience is the best thing on TV now.

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-01-17, 12:15 AM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Outlaw Torn
He's traditionally bad against the pats. Same as the colts in general. I'm disappointed. I was rooting for them. Oh well, maybe now they can get a better defense.

I kinda want to see a Steelers/Eagles Super Bowl, but its most likely going to be a Pats/Eagles.

Unlikely. The Eagles are completely one-dimensional without Terrell Owens. Sure, they looked good against Minnesota today, but it's important to remember that Minnesota is not a good team. They have a weak defense and they're too soft to play good teams in cold weather. Atlanta is unlike every other team in the NFC in one important respect: they actually play defense. Philly will have to rely almost exclusively on Brian Westbrook to move the ball, and that's a recipe for failure.

I too am predicting that the Steelers beat the Falcons in the Super Bowl, as I have been since the Owens injury. Ben Roethlisberger may not be the flashiest guy, but he makes enough plays and few enough mistakes for his team to win. It's hard to argue with a 15-1 regular season, or with Ben's 15 wins and no losses. Pittsburgh, like Atlanta, runs the ball and plays defense. That's how you win championships.

Quote:
I'm tired of Payton Manning. I don't really like him nor do I want to see him on so many comercials. It's nice to see the Colts fail to beat the top seed at home, unlike the two times they've done it against the Chiefs during my lifetime.

Peyton Manning is not only the best quarterback in the NFL, he's a class act, a team player and a great example of everything good about the game.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-01-17, 5:15 AM #13
I hope the Superbowl is anything like last year. That was fantastic...except for the constant commercial breaks which I as a Finn am not used to. :p
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2005-01-17, 9:43 AM #14
If Peyton Manning were the best quarterback, he would be playing in the AFC Championship game. He has better offensive weapons then Tom Brady by far, but look who owns who. The way it looks...There is at least one quartback better then Peyton Manning. Archie couldnt win the big one..**** Archie could barley get to the playoffs, and unfortunatley Peyton will never win the big one. I dispise the Mannings.

Also, Brian Westbrook is one of the most verstile backs in the league. When you said that running him is a recipe to failure, I think you forgot to point out that is only because TO isnt there. Had they have good recievers, I would ride Westbrook till he cant play anymore. Freddie Mitchell wont keep catching passes, and Todd Pinkston is gonna get scared to go across the middle again.

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-01-17, 11:18 AM #15
Quote:
If Peyton Manning were the best quarterback, he would be playing in the AFC Championship game. He has better offensive weapons then Tom Brady by far, but look who owns who.

Tom Brady has never, not once, ever had to play against the New England defense. Nor has he ever, even once, had to play against the Indianapolis Offense. When Tom Brady goes out and starts picking off Manning's passes or Sacking Manning 4 or 5 times a game, then you can say that Brady owns Manning... because by your logic I could say Rex Grossman owns Brett Favre, because Grossman is 1-0 against Favre.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2005-01-17, 11:41 AM #16
0-7 is different then 0-1. Your anaolgy is flawed because you are a Bear's fan and you would do anything to find anyway to own Farve :P

I get your point though, Brady would have a toughy against his own D. Good point. Still....0-7 against another QB is not goood. PEYTON ISNT EVEN PLAYING THE HEALTHY DEFENSE THAT RATTLED HIS *** LAST YEAR. He is playing a rugged defense that most people thought Peyton had the brain capacity to pick apart. Obviously not. Maybe I should change it...Teddy, Rodney Harrison, and Willie McGinest are 7-0 against Peyton. Happy ?

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-01-17, 5:30 PM #17
The Vicks experience....are you guys referring to watching Michael Vicks play (he was pretty amazing in that Rams game, dodging those sacks) or the Nike commercial?
So the receivers were covered that well? I thought I read somewhere that the Patriots were missing their starting corner backs?
2005-01-17, 5:53 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Ubuu
If Peyton Manning were the best quarterback, he would be playing in the AFC Championship game. He has better offensive weapons then Tom Brady by far, but look who owns who. The way it looks...There is at least one quartback better then Peyton Manning. Archie couldnt win the big one..**** Archie could barley get to the playoffs, and unfortunatley Peyton will never win the big one. I dispise the Mannings.

I'll have to disagree here. Brady's a good quarterback, but you don't beat the Colts with just 20 points under normal circumstances. Indy lost not because Tom Brady was the better quarterback, but because the Indianapolis offense has two important weaknesses: it sputters in cold weather, and it depends almost completely on reads by the quarterback at the line of scrimmage. New England's 3-4 defense and motion before the snap makes those reads a whole lot harder. Credit for New England's win goes to the defense and the coaching staff.

Quote:
Also, Brian Westbrook is one of the most verstile backs in the lead. When you said that running him is a recipe to failure, I think you forgot to point out that is only because TO isnt there. Had they have good recievers, I would read Westbrook till he cant play anymore. Freddie Mitchell wont keep catching passes, and Todd Pinkston is gonna get scared to go across the middle again. [/B]

Good points, and yes, that's what I meant to say. Westbrook's a good enough back, but he doesn't have, say, Randy Moss's ability to produce when he's the team's only offensive weapon.
2005-01-17, 6:12 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloud
So the receivers were covered that well? I thought I read somewhere that the Patriots were missing their starting corner backs?

They are. Both of their starters are on IR and won't be playing again this season. Thier nickle back is some of their wide recievers and you'd never know it given the way he's played.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-17, 10:10 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
They are. Both of their starters are on IR and won't be playing again this season. Thier nickle back is some of their wide recievers and you'd never know it given the way he's played.

He's not just any wide receiver, though. He's Troy Brown. Never underestimate the power of Troy Brown.
2005-01-17, 10:24 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane
Indianapolis offense has two important weaknesses: it sputters in cold weather, and it depends almost completely on reads by the quarterback at the line of scrimmage. New England's 3-4 defense and motion before the snap makes those reads a whole lot harder. Credit for New England's win goes to the defense and the coaching staff.

I completely agree with that. The minute you said that, I thought of the Raven's, Colt's game earlier this season. Peyton had a tough time reading the defense, because the Ravens had the base 3-4, but were throwing so many different looks. Had the Raven's played offense, that game could have been the Raven's. I even remember an anyalst calling it one of the better offensive-defensive chess game of the season.

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-01-17, 10:28 PM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane
He's not just any wide receiver, though. He's Troy Brown. Never underestimate the power of Troy Brown.

I know. He plays offense, defense and he returns kicks. Not only that, he's good as a cornerback. He had four picks in the regular season. That's good stuff.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-17, 10:45 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Ubuu
I completely agree with that. The minute you said that, I thought of the Raven's, Colt's game earlier this season. Peyton had a tough time reading the defense, because the Ravens had the base 3-4, but were throwing so many different looks. Had the Raven's played offense, that game could have been the Raven's. I even remember an anyalst calling it one of the better offensive-defensive chess game of the season.

You don't happen to read Tuesday Morning Quarterback, do you?

Oh, and Avenger, do you know if Brown still plays on the punt coverage unit as well?
2005-01-17, 11:36 PM #24
I don't recall seeing him on punt coverage. They might have taken him out just to get him a little time to rest once he started playing on the defensive side of the ball. I'll check it out when the Pats play next week.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-18, 5:29 AM #25
I dont like American football, but I live in Atlanta... so... I hope the Falcons win so that our city gets publicity and revenue dollars so that maybe one day I can walk the streets and not be accosted by panhandlers.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"

↑ Up to the top!