Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → When the French Government gets involved you know its serious
When the French Government gets involved you know its serious
2005-01-16, 5:53 PM #1
http://cube.ign.com/articles/579/579777p1.html

I mean, this really sucks. I really hate EA. I mean their games rock and ****, but they want to become the windows of the gaming world. The fact that they released a press statement that said that they talked to other gaming companies didn't help them. It just made me go, "uh, doesn't that mean that you're trying to buy out other companies as well?"

gah...discuss
All your bacon are belong to me

< robT> Name ONE thing that your windows comp can do that my MAC cant
< bawss> Right click.

http://www.bash.org/?462310
2005-01-16, 6:01 PM #2
It does seem very suspicious. If they begin acquiring more shares, then Ubisoft should be concerned.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-16, 6:03 PM #3
"In our industry, one doesn't make hostile moves because our value lies with people."

Says the corporation that makes its employees work 90 hour weeks without extra pay, then intimidates anyone that complains.
I'm just a little boy.
2005-01-16, 6:54 PM #4
Yeah, EA just sucks royal ***. Anyone who works there would be better off enlisting in the Marines as infantrymen. Far better working conditions.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-16, 9:39 PM #5
Ubisoft always makes 'em cool... EA just makes 'em glossy.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-01-16, 10:56 PM #6
Yeah.....I'm sorry, but the majority of EA's games suck to me. I don't want them to expand.....
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2005-01-17, 2:19 AM #7
I indeed hope the "secret defence plan" works (as goofy as that sounds). It would suck if EA expands any more at the expense of better companies. Like a cancer.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-17, 2:31 AM #8
Ah, I can see it already:
Splinter Cell 2006: Underground Xtreme!
Prince of Battlefields of Persia 2006!
The Sims Ghost Recon 2007 - The War on Terror at Home: Swimming Pool party edition expansion #5
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2005-01-17, 2:56 AM #9
Ubisoft made Street Racer on the Megadrive. Therefore they are awesome. EA should be picked apart and flogged.
2005-01-17, 6:34 PM #10
http://cube.ign.com/articles/580/580403p1.html

Now EA has a stranglehold on ESPN too. If you can't fight the opposition, buy it outright.
2005-01-17, 7:14 PM #11
yeah, this is offical, EA sucks
All your bacon are belong to me

< robT> Name ONE thing that your windows comp can do that my MAC cant
< bawss> Right click.

http://www.bash.org/?462310
2005-01-17, 7:26 PM #12
Gah... I HATE publishers... :/
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-17, 7:46 PM #13
so, EA owns virtually the entire gaming world except for some big stragglers like Ubisoft somewhat, and Activision. I think in a few years they'll start making consoles, and when those sell huge they'll buy Nintendo (This is bound to happen eventually...nintendo's dying). When Nintendo gets EAten (heheh EAten) we're in big trouble, because then there's...4 companies left I think. Sony, Microsoft, Activision, and PART OF Ubisoft. Wait, we can't forget ID.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-01-17, 8:01 PM #14
What worries me about EA and other huge game publishers, is that they seem to be more concerned about marketing to the casual crowd. They're marketing to people who play games for the SP and never change their graphics settings. Now I realize that's where allot of the money is, but games that are designed that way tend to disappoint serious gamers. It's usually the actual game developers that bother to go into the forums and try to fight the publisher to allow them to incorporate the features that the gamers want.

It's difficult to explain, but I get the feeling that when the CEO's of EA Games think "gamer" they think of a guy with a Dell XPS playing an FPS with a gamepad. Failed arcade titles such as "Spiderman" and "ROTK” for PC which are designed for a gamepad show this. If PC gamers want to play that style of game they'll go to the consoles. Even though most of their FPS's aren't like that today, I get a bad feeling that that's where they're going. If they pander to the crowd who know little about PC's they're not going to have to do nearly as much work or make the game nearly as good as with serious gamers.

Another area in which the CEO's of big publishing companies show their ignorance of the gamer is with their strange aversion to SDK's. While with some titles it is better not to release an the SDK, this should only be don’t if the developer is willing to constantly update it and add new content. I have seen many a title that would still be alive today, had they allowed the community to mod it.

My worry is that as publishing companies start viewing the PC as a console that’s what it will become. I don’t thin they understand that the mouse and keyboard, when properly utilized create a wholly different style of game that many of us would hate to see die. I would like to see smaller, less bureaucratic publishers, whose CEOs are gamers themselves that can be more aware of what the PC gamer wants. While not perfect, I would say that Vivindi and UBI are an example of a step in the right direction.

When there are no little publishers like UBI and Vivindi to give them competition, I worry that they will forget the gamers altogether, because they will have no choice.

Ok, that sounded disturbingly like an essay someone would write on a matter of national import that he or she felt strongly about, but I suppose it got the job done. I’m probably wrong about all this, but it’s just sort of a feeling I get every time I see a game or an ad by EA, Microsoft or other big publishing company. I mean, it is a bit disillusioning when you see a picture of a gamepad on the “PC games” tab. But like I say, it’s probably just me. :p Sorry for wasting five minutes of your life.
2005-01-18, 1:53 AM #15
Microsoft is the producer of the popular Flight Simulator series, yet last year Microsoft terminated its joystick production line. Does this mean the next Flight Simulator will be flown with a gamepad?
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-18, 7:16 AM #16
EA is definitely a monopolist.

Soon, all we will have left is id software and Valve. If those sell to EA, then God help us.
2005-01-18, 8:00 AM #17
*hugs Activision and Blizzard*
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-01-18, 8:48 AM #18
EA earns it title with such good games such as The Sims and Nightfire.
2005-01-18, 8:55 AM #19
And Catwoman.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-18, 9:34 AM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by lassev
Microsoft is the producer of the popular Flight Simulator series, yet last year Microsoft terminated its joystick production line. Does this mean the next Flight Simulator will be flown with a gamepad?

Lol. Not that would be funny! :p I can just imagine thousands of enraged simmers with 2500$ of joysticks and rudder pedals, and other control paraphernalia cursing the graves of all MS employs.
2005-01-18, 5:17 PM #21
It doesn't stop there, EA wishes to take on companies such as Disney.

However, EA does do one good thing.
Quote:
He also said EA was planning an international awards show "similar to the Oscars and the Grammys" which would combine video games, music and movies.

Hopefully this will terminate the Spike TV VG award show.
2005-01-18, 6:12 PM #22
Quote:
"People will want to play video games if their heroes like Robbie Williams or Christina Aguilera are in them."

I see death on the horizon....

The only way I would put up with celebrity cameos in games is when and only when I can pump them full of lead if i so choose. (e.g. Gary coleman in Postal 2)

↑ Up to the top!