Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
2005-01-16, 7:22 PM #1
Tomorrow is Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and I was wondering how many of you have the day off from school. I've had it off my entire life, but I was talking to someone in Wisconsin and he's never had it off...

So vote.
2005-01-16, 7:27 PM #2
Doesn't apply to me, though, it could.

College doesn't start back until Tuesday, but I don't go to school on Mondays anyway, just Tues/Thurs. So if I had a Monday class, it would apply because I wouldn't have to start until Wednesday.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-01-16, 7:28 PM #3
Nope, never had it off.
2005-01-16, 7:41 PM #4
Tomorrow, we celebrate the man who made it possible for us to sleep in one more day.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-16, 7:44 PM #5
School is closed here. However, the movie theatre is open and I shall be watching Darkness. Thanks MLK Jr.
2005-01-16, 7:47 PM #6
You guys know who he was, right?

It seems you aren't giving him any respect at all.
2005-01-16, 7:52 PM #7
He was the one that really brought Ghandi's teachings of peaceful protesting to a nationwide movement for equal rights for black people.

However, I doubt most people think of that on Monday.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-16, 7:58 PM #8
I've always had it off.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-16, 8:02 PM #9
always had it off
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-01-16, 8:07 PM #10
Never had it off. Although, mother might let me stay home tomorrow for my "personal day" if I request.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-01-16, 8:47 PM #11
I've always gotten it off, till I came to college. Now I don't.

We didn't get Labor Day, either.
2005-01-16, 9:32 PM #12
I get the day off in Charleston, South Carolina. Martin Luther King Jr is not an African-American hero, or a Black hero, or any such nonsense. He is an American hero, and I am American. It only makes sense
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2005-01-16, 9:58 PM #13
Yes, I get it off, but I still have to work tonight... It's funny that I live in Atlanta and have never been to the King Center, the Eternal Flame, or his house. Though I have driven by all of the above.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-01-17, 3:23 AM #14
I watched RFK and Our Friend Martin, in his honor.

They completely changed the Uni schedule to start a day later due to MLK Day.

I'm still going to work.
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
2005-01-17, 7:03 AM #15
I'm Canadian. So it doesn't apply...
2005-01-17, 7:22 AM #16
I have to work tonight, so no. :p
-Hell Raiser
2005-01-17, 8:17 AM #17
Did in High school
Dont here.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-01-17, 8:24 AM #18
Brit. We got nada.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-01-17, 10:27 AM #19
Yes. I'm still in High School...

My dad doesn't get off from work, however.
2005-01-17, 10:30 AM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Saiyajin
I've always gotten it off, till I came to college. Now I don't.

I'm the inverse of this. :)
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-17, 12:30 PM #21
We get it off here in Louisiana. But most non black people make it a day to go eat Watermelon, Fried Chicken and drink 40's all day. So serious, I refuse to go to any parties today. A co-worker of mine refered to it as the "black people holiday". The lack of respect people have for this day is really amazing. Ya, you dont have to go to church or anything, but this man has probably changed your life already, or will. Thanks.
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-01-17, 1:55 PM #22
So why do people get that day off and not say, George Washington's birthday? :confused:
2005-01-17, 3:32 PM #23
Because ol' George wasn't assassinated by white supremacists, I assume.

2005-01-17, 3:38 PM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet
So why do people get that day off and not say, George Washington's birthday? :confused:

Presidents' Day. It's in February.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-17, 3:47 PM #25
God, why don't we get every single nobel piece prize winner's day off!?

Seriously, the fact that we get a day off, or don't (I don't) is insignifigent. The true meaning of the day isn't to reflect on racial issues, but to reflect on our nations issues as a whole. Martin Luther King JR not only saw opression for blacks in america, but also saw that the cycle of racial descrimination would continue on down the road if blacks continued to react in hatred. He was looking towards peace for a nation, not just peace for 'his own.' Many fail to realize this, and in that, I believe we've let MLK down, to some extent. All too often do black people in my area continue to react to white hatred with more violence. The cycle continues, and the need for revenge outweighs the need for peace. Suddenly we are lost in a sea of black, white, and violent red, rather than a sea of paece and respect for eachother.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-17, 5:22 PM #26
You can't deny the fact that he had a dream. Glad I don't have to wake up early on a Monday.
2005-01-17, 5:38 PM #27
I did. I was spreading crushed rock in my driveway all day. It was nice to be off though. Didn't affect my paycheck either. Actually, NOTHING affects my paycheck! Slight exageration. It does go up frequently.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-01-17, 6:32 PM #28
Airsoft + 20 degree weather + Chinese food = win.
D E A T H
2005-01-17, 8:08 PM #29
Well, if a fancy speech is all it takes to start a national holiday, lets get cracking! ;)
2005-01-17, 8:15 PM #30
4 People are too selfish to realize the meaning of their day off.[/maddox]
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-18, 2:52 PM #31
I went paintballing for the second day in a row.

paintball> airsoft
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2005-01-18, 4:59 PM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by UltimatePotato
I went paintballing for the second day in a row.

paintball> airsoft

Yeah, and it's also about 4000x more expensive. And harder to organize. And besides that, it ruins clothing.

So I'm going to go with the cheap, fun, wholesome Airsoft experience. Yeah.
D E A T H
2005-01-18, 7:01 PM #33
Quote:
All too often do black people in my area continue to react to white hatred with more violence. The cycle continues, and the need for revenge outweighs the need for peace. Suddenly we are lost in a sea of black, white, and violent red, rather than a sea of paece and respect for eachother.

Although they could act in different ways towards Racism, how can you truly blame them? Black people have been opressed for ages. They've been slaves, they get lower paying jobs, live in the slums mostly, and have an all around harder time getting through life. All because they're black. Racism towards them still exists this day... How can you honestly say that although it is wrong to act violently in retaliation, that it is their fault?

Back a lion into a corner, he's going to eventually strike back.

We deserve it. They don't.
2005-01-18, 7:07 PM #34
Quote:
Originally posted by Temperamental
Although they could act in different ways towards Racism, how can you truly blame them? Black people have been opressed for ages. They've been slaves, they get lower paying jobs, live in the slums mostly, and have an all around harder time getting through life. All because they're black. Racism towards them still exists this day... How can you honestly say that although it is wrong to act violently in retaliation, that it is their fault?

Although they could act in different ways toward antisemitism, how can you truly blame them? Jewish people have been opressed for ages. They've been slaves, persecuted by the Church, and had more than 3 million killed solely under the Third Reich. All because they're Jewish. Antisemitism still exists this day.

And yet Jewish people haven't attacked Germans. They've haven't gone out and killed neo-nazis. In fact, the greater majority of them avoid committing violence.
2005-01-18, 7:38 PM #35
I spent MLK Jr. in

HAWAI'I!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-01-18, 8:34 PM #36
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfy
They've haven't gone out and killed neo-nazis.

Because your orginal post was just a copy of what tempermental said, and you placed Jews in the black position to prove a point, can you confirm that black people kill white people just kill them to get back? That is a pretty profound statement.
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-01-18, 10:14 PM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet
Well, if a fancy speech is all it takes to start a national holiday, lets get cracking! ;)

joke?

check yes or no.
2005-01-18, 10:15 PM #38
Even for a joke it wasn't funny.
2005-01-18, 10:37 PM #39
Quote:
Although they could act in different ways toward antisemitism, how can you truly blame them? Jewish people have been opressed for ages. They've been slaves, persecuted by the Church, and had more than 3 million killed solely under the Third Reich. All because they're Jewish. Antisemitism still exists this day.

And yet Jewish people haven't attacked Germans. They've haven't gone out and killed neo-nazis. In fact, the greater majority of them avoid committing violence.

Quote:
Because your orginal post was just a copy of what tempermental said, and you placed Jews in the black position to prove a point, can you confirm that black people kill white people just kill them to get back? That is a pretty profound statement.

What ubuu said. Exactly.

Black people dont go out and commit crimes against whites. Black's aren't crminal by nature, they're just a little more annoyed with whites and society. But they dont target white people specifically.

I also said it wasn't more acceptable, it was just more understandable

People are affected differently. Blacks also get reparations, do Jews?
2005-01-19, 8:30 AM #40
Quote:
Originally posted by Shintock
Even for a joke it wasn't funny.

I know. But I forgot to mention that part. You can be my wingman anytime.

(Top Gun was on in the Student Center when I walked by to get Einstein's Bagles).

↑ Up to the top!