Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Elektra
Elektra
2005-01-17, 5:33 PM #1
Well, the first Marvel film to disappoint me.

I still won't go so far as to say I dislike the movie. The beginning was very good and almost straight out of some fairly recent comics. But it definitely got a bit hokey and flawed.

On the plus side, it probably had the best collection of trailers I've seen. I think there were three. First, Sin City, then Fantastic Four teaser with some really kick *** music, and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

On a related note, I picked up Daredevil: Director's Cut. Those of you who disliked Daredevil for reasons other than just being Affleck haters may very well like this film. Some very significant changes from the theaterical version and I would say it's much better. And that's coming from someone who liked the theaterical film!

In conclusion, you're probably better off not paying to see Elektra and either buying (cheap) or renting Daredevil Director's Cut. That's if you're even interested anyway!
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-01-17, 5:45 PM #2
A whopping %06 at RT.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-17, 5:54 PM #3
I tend to ignore Rotton Tomato scores since a film which gets 100 reviews of 59% will get the same score as a film with 100 reviews of 0%.

What changes have been made to Daredevil?
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-01-17, 5:59 PM #4
Uhg, I know previews tell nothing about what a movie will be like; BUT THIS LOOKS HORRIBLE

I'm sorry, it just does. That being said, I wasn't a fan of the comics and I know nothing about the whole story line. I did however see Daredevil thinking it would be good and it ended up being horrible. So maybe the good trailers of DD and bad turnout will be opposite to this :) I might check it out if people I know say something good about it.. but untill then.. No way. Looks to be way to over the top.
2005-01-17, 6:19 PM #5
Quote:
I tend to ignore Rotton Tomato scores since a film which gets 100 reviews of 59% will get the same score as a film with 100 reviews of 0%.

What? When critics send in there reviews, they tell RT if they think it's fresh or not. RT doesn't decide if it's fresh or not. RT works out perfect because it gives you the average rating of all the critics out there.
2005-01-17, 6:22 PM #6
It says in the RT FAQ that a rating of 60%+ is considered Fresh.
Flickr Twitter
2005-01-17, 6:27 PM #7
Yeah the total rating not the individual ratings.

Example:

Lets say there are 100 reviews sent in. 40 of them are fresh and then the other 60 are rotten, thats 40% fresh and 60% rotten.

Not every person that submits a review uses the 100 point scale system, most of them use the 5 star system, so when they submit reviews to RT they tell RT if they think the movie was good or not.

By 60% = Fresh, they mean all the reviews combined must equal 60% or higher.
2005-01-18, 7:26 PM #8
I would not recommend this film to anyone that does not already desire to see it on their own.

As a comic fan and, particularly, a Marvel Comics fan, I can find things to like about this film. But as a movie fan, as I already stated, I'm disappointed with this film.

In a nutshell, the film did these few things well:

- Opened with a fairly accurate portrayal of Elektra as a "female Punisher"

- Accurately portrayed much of her "strength"

- Accurately portrayed "Stick"

- Accurately depicted "The Hand"

It also did the following things poorly:

- Everything else.

Well, not necessarily but at the very least close to that.

As DeTRiTiC-iQ asked above, several significant changes abound in the Daredevil Director's Cut.

- His sidekick's role has been abit expounded. This is his lawyer partner.

- Bullseye's scenes have been increased.

- The Matt/Elektra lovescene is gone and, in fact, doesn't happen because he leaves her on that roof.

- An additional case is shown that further developes Matt's character.

- Numerous other changes that, to me, make it a better film overall.

Granted, I'm not a Daredevil "hater" and I like the theaterical and director's versions.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-01-18, 7:28 PM #9
There doesn't seem to be a region 2 version of the director's cut available :(
Flickr Twitter
2005-01-18, 7:35 PM #10
Oh Gawd. I feel so dirty. If I had known you lived in THAT region I wouldn't even have acknowledged you. *looks for barfing smiley*

2005-01-18, 7:39 PM #11
I AM YOUR ADMIN, YOU WILL RESPECT ME
Flickr Twitter
2005-01-18, 7:53 PM #12
Jennifer Garner. :cool:
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-01-18, 9:17 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ
I AM YOUR ADMIN, YOU WILL RESPECT ME

Poor Detty. Gets no respect.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.

↑ Up to the top!