Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Whats the speed in Star Wars?
Whats the speed in Star Wars?
2005-01-19, 1:31 PM #1
"She'll make point-5 past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

Now... HTF does that work? Surely it would take years to get anywhere?
Originally posted by Matthew Pate:
GUY: "Mate, you really Australianed up your Ford!"
GUY 2: "Yeah, I guess it was pretty spowned."
2005-01-19, 1:32 PM #2
Who cares?
|-|E|_|_O
2005-01-19, 1:34 PM #3
the way i understand light-speed is that the hyperdrive takes the ship into a parallel universe where everything moves at the speed of light
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-01-19, 1:34 PM #4
In X-Wing I'm pretty sure the units of measure were kilometers (for non-hyperspace travel, anyway). If not, then I think just "clicks", which could mean anything.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-19, 1:37 PM #5
It's a movie.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-01-19, 1:38 PM #6
Is it really meaningful to analyze the "scientific" aspects of fictional movies?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-19, 1:40 PM #7
With the speed of light, it would still take 2 million years to get to the closest star system.

Yeah, I have a test on this stuff tomorrow. :p
2005-01-19, 1:52 PM #8
If you don't care or think it's not worthwhile, there's no reason to post on this thread and you're just filling it full of crap for those interested, kthx.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-19, 1:54 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by gothicX
With the speed of light, it would still take 2 million years to get to the closest star system.

Ha! But not at ludicrous speed!
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-19, 2:00 PM #10
once you reach light speed, velocity is measured on the crazy-awesome scale where you can get from A to B in whatever length of time the plot's narrative demands.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-01-19, 2:08 PM #11
Hm.
2005-01-19, 2:31 PM #12
Another possible explanation:
2005-01-19, 2:32 PM #13
light seed?
2005-01-19, 2:36 PM #14
maybe the planets are so close together, you could like.. get between them in a PINTO WATCHING BETA CASETTES WHILE EATING LIP GLOSS ! !
Moo.
2005-01-19, 2:43 PM #15
It would take years to get from point A to B in conventional space, but in hyperspace, it can be done in a reasonable ammount of time at near-light speed.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-19, 2:47 PM #16
Quote:
In X-Wing I'm pretty sure the units of measure were kilometers (for non-hyperspace travel, anyway). If not, then I think just "clicks", which could mean anything.

1 klick = 1 kilometer.:

:banned: Just saw the new emoticon!
"It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener."
"Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."
2005-01-19, 3:16 PM #17
Light speed has to be faster than the speed of light for travel bewteen systems not to take decades. As for the .5 past light speed, I believe it refers the Falcon being able to travel twice as fast as standard ships in hyperspace. That's how it's explained in some books anyway (I know it's not cannon).
Pissed Off?
2005-01-19, 4:09 PM #18
Quote:

If by star system you mean galaxy, then yes. If by star system you mean a star with planets around it, then it would take a little over four years to get there. (This isn't taking into effect weird stuff like time dilation).

Anyways, the way I understood the speed ratings in SW was that the lower the number was, the faster a ship could go. A number half as big would mean a ship that's twice as fast. So an Imperial cruiser that has a speed of 1 is twice as slow as the Falcon, and something with a rating of 2 is four times as slow.
Stuff
2005-01-19, 4:20 PM #19
By the way, no one EVER says 'The speed of light.' They say 'light speed.' That doesn't at all mean the speed of light, and is probably a measurment of many lightyears per light speed unit. Not to mention, hyperspace is something fictional, but a likely reality. When hitting light speed, hyperspace is a smaller scale between 2 places at which you can jump.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-19, 4:31 PM #20
Quote:

Yeah, I have a test on this stuff tomorrow. :p

No, actually. Only four. But still.
2005-01-19, 4:36 PM #21
Heheheh.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-01-19, 4:40 PM #22
I read somewhere the classification system for hyperdrives was inverse to their speed... EX:

A class 0.3 hyperdrive was twice as fast as a 0.6.

[Edit: I guess Kyle sorta said that...]

Quote:
Originally posted by Echoman
Ha! But not at ludicrous speed![/i]

YES!

2005-01-20, 12:11 AM #23
did you ever played Edwards Mad TC???
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%

↑ Up to the top!