Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → SW: Battlefront
SW: Battlefront
2005-01-19, 4:10 PM #1
If you own this game, what did you think of it? Gone are the days when I could afford to buy a game after seeing nothing but the box. Also, can you play the game in first person of is it third person only?

On an unrelated topic, why is JA still being sold for $40-50 every place I actually found it?? Go to the bargain bin already!
2005-01-19, 4:12 PM #2
I was thinking about buying SW:battlefront, but I havent heard of anyone that plays the damn game.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-19, 4:13 PM #3
It's third OR first person. It's fun, but only for a while, people online suck.
2005-01-19, 4:15 PM #4
The MP is alright. It's really fast paced team death match. No real tactics involved.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-19, 4:15 PM #5
I should've mentioned the multiplayer thing too... I'm on a 56k connection and haven't been masochistic enough to play an FPS MP since the JK days.

So how is the SP side of the game? Any replay value, or just a couple hours of fighting then credits?
2005-01-19, 4:17 PM #6
I hear the bots are as dumb as screwdrivers.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-19, 6:04 PM #7
Its really great in capturing the "Star Wars" feel and still being a terribly fun game. I love it. If you like Star Wars and Battlefield 1942 then you'll probably enjoy it.
2005-01-19, 6:15 PM #8
bots are dumb, but dayum if you're a SW fan it's SO much funnn!

for me at least :). I'll play w/ you!!! yeah! wootles, lolz, yeah.

(I won't act like that though.)

On a more serious note... It's fun... The graphics are nice, the gameplay is pretty good... SP isn't too intricate but it's fun to conquer planets to get certain bonuses. It's a pretty easy game... but depending on the difficulty and level, you have to pull a lot of the weight for your team.

Have yet to try MP actually. Hmmm.
2005-01-19, 6:16 PM #9
It was a fun game for about a day or so but it got old fast. I don't even have it installed anymore. The parts that were fun was the ability to pilot vehicles, being able to play as a droideka, and kill wookies and ewoks for kicks. If the game had a bit more variety than what it came with and if the AI wasn't so stupid (gunning down 5 bots in a row is quite common) it wouldn't have lost its appeal so quick. For now, the only star wars game I'll be playing is Kotor, which I got for the PC about a week ago for 20 bucks :D
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-01-19, 6:36 PM #10
It's great, but only in multiplayer. You get to pilot an ATAT, or with the rebels you can jump two players in a snowspeader and take down the ATATs. You can pilot an ATST and stomp ewoks.. or blast gungans with a droideka!

The down side is that it tends to be rather buggy and has some severe balance issues when playing clone war era (as in, it's practically impossible for the droids to even come close to winning a match)
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-19, 6:38 PM #11
It's great like Super Smash Brothers style, getting a bunch of friends together and just tearing apart the Ewoks and Gungans.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-01-19, 6:56 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor

The down side is that it tends to be rather buggy and has some severe balance issues when playing clone war era (as in, it's practically impossible for the droids to even come close to winning a match)

In my experiance it's the other way around :S
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-19, 7:46 PM #13
I played it for awhile, got bored of it, played other games, then came back to it and now I play it a lot ever since they patched it and made it possible to consistently get in a game online. I really dont like the Jabbas Palace level they added though, and the mines need to be tweaked a bit, since you could basically call the Vanguard/missile launcher class a suicide bomber... except if FF isnt on it isnt suicide at all, and you are invincible to your own mines. Just run into a crowd, start dropping mines, and boom, instant 5 kills.

I have a lot if issues with the game freezing up whenever a bunch of people spawn, and it really sucks when I'm piloting a speeder or ship and when I come out of the freeze I meet the ground or a mountain... and if I had a tail gunner they get really pissed at me like it was my fault.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2005-01-19, 7:49 PM #14
If you can find people to play online with, it's awesome. We had some good games going with some people in #tacc.

Otherwise, it gets old, really quickly.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-01-19, 7:56 PM #15
I love Battlefront (for the PS2). Set the difficulty level accordingly, and launch co-op mode. :cool: It's awesome when you play with someone else and do the campaigns. Fast-paced action. Great fun. If you have a PS2, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Load up the IFT-T tank with two pilots, and rampage. :D
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-01-19, 8:00 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by Glyde Bane
In my experiance it's the other way around :S

You play with bots or people? With bots you can win. With people you can't. A jetpack trooper kills anything in one shot.. plus having the advantage of the jetpack. A droid needs like 50 to kill a clone. And droidekas can't really aim. If there's a slope in terrain, you're screwed.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-19, 8:23 PM #17
Try playing against the droids on Kamino. Damn Destroyer Droids set up in a line on the small walkways. No way to get through.

My friend has it for PS2, but can't play it online. Still ,we have a lot of fun playing it by ourselves. Even just playing the Battle of Hoth over and over is fun. I love piloting AT-ATs, because they're as slow as they are powerful. "I am gunna walk this thing right up there ***! *5 minutes later* Aw yeah! Didn't think I'd make it did ya? Now die! Die! DIE!"

One time, my friend was walking up to a log that two wookies were hiding behind. One wookie sticks his head up, looks around, and gets shot in the face. The other, seeing this happen, decides to do the exact same thing. You can pretty much guess what happened to him.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-01-19, 8:47 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle
One time, my friend was walking up to a log that two wookies were hiding behind. One wookie sticks his head up, looks around, and gets shot in the face. The other, seeing this happen, decides to do the exact same thing. You can pretty much guess what happened to him.

He dressed in drag and did the Hula?
2005-01-19, 8:50 PM #19
If any of you ever happen to play the PC version, play on Imperial_Clones or Imperial_clones_recruting... I'm usually on one of those since they are the only ones I consistently find with lots of people. Just type "Imperial" in the server name spot and those 2 servers will show up.
2005-01-19, 8:51 PM #20
A few things that pissed me off in the game (PS2)

1.) The Destroyer Droids are frigging near impossible to destroy. It took like 4 Clonetroopers (with rockets and everything) to wipe one out. But when you play the Destroyer, it gets wiped out instantly.

2.) Can't kill the Jedi. I shot 6 missles directly into Mace Windu, and threw a few gernades, as well as open fired with the blaster. He barely flinched.
2005-01-19, 8:55 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by THRAWN
A few things that pissed me off in the game (PS2)

1.) The Destroyer Droids are frigging near impossible to destroy. It took like 4 Clonetroopers (with rockets and everything) to wipe one out. But when you play the Destroyer, it gets wiped out instantly.

2.) Can't kill the Jedi. I shot 6 missles directly into Mace Windu, and threw a few gernades, as well as open fired with the blaster. He barely flinched.

1) Thats because there are probably 4 clonetroopers with rockets and everything attacking you.

2) Thats because its not up to Episode 3 yet...
2005-01-19, 9:11 PM #22
So it doesn't mean that Mace has to be invincible.

And the Clone troopers weren't all rocket launchers. And I can't remember the exact number but I know it was around 4 of mixed people, not just rockets. But soldiers, etc.
2005-01-19, 11:52 PM #23
me and my freind allway tried to kill luke on bespin:D

We did it once!!!!!!:)
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-01-20, 1:14 AM #24
The Destroyers are tough buggers if they have their shield up. They die real easy if they don't.

The hero characters can't be killed.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-20, 5:04 AM #25
Quote:
<+Burrie|Yoink> Haha, killed Darth Vader in Battlefront.
<+Burrie|Yoink> The ability to wield the Force is insignificant next to being run over by a speederbike

It is possible. I've done what Burrie has done numerous times. Hard as hell though.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2005-01-20, 5:36 AM #26
I was playing on one BF server and was cleaning up in the kills. (PC Version)

At the end someone asked me if I was using an aimbot.

:(

Sad that now if you have skills, some people will assume you are hacking.
2005-01-20, 12:08 PM #27
I've found it to be an awesome game (my house-mate's x-box - took a little introductory game, but now the house plus other friends are hooked *dang, I'm a bad man, during exams and all...* ;)).

Personally, I think the overall detail of the maps, in all the classic star wars locations plus more, is fantastic, both in SP and split-screen action (couldn't tell you about the online version).

However, if you're after whether or not you're in for a close-run thing in terms of playing against bots, I must confess that I think the AI is pretty reasonable myself. Yes, sure you get the occasional trooper who runs out blindly in front of a droid-destroyer, but for the most part they'll cover you in numbers (and you can even give them specific orders within a small radius).

In terms of particular "roles" within a certain level/campaign, I find that certain character types are good based on the current situation and map that's being played; if there's a map with vehicles, pick the heavy explosives and take them out first. If you've secured a hill with constant ammo, then feel free to pick the sniper and have some pot-shots. If there's close-range fighting (arguably the most useful once you've got the "main" [there's always one] command post, usually located near the middle of the map that's worth concentrating on) then you'll want a bog-standard trooper/solider. Personally, I think the balance is pretty good between characters and eras - although if you play as the droids in the Clone Wars, you should (in theory, what with the level of fire-power) never lose :o.

In terms of difficulty, the "Clone Wars" era is significantly more of a challenge, mainly due to the droid-destroyer. Playing against them although you can weave from side-to-side to avoid the incoming fire, if you're not quick about it (or you end up having one respawn right behind you :rolleyes:...), you can guarantee you're about to become a carcass... ;).

Conclusion: if you're after a fast-paced action/shootem-up then this is a must have (or if people disagree, then it's definitely an enjoyable game - you can't deny that ;)). If there's a vehicle you can drive it; if there's things to ride (tauntauns and those Gungan creatures), you can ride it; if there's something to shoot with (turrets) then you can shoot from it. I can see why buck's opinion that "it gets old, really quickly" stands, as not much changes in terms of gameplay (from one mission to the next), but it's one of those games that if you like it - you love it - and no prizes for guessing which category I'm in... :D

[short anecdote:] just the other day I was playing the Rhen Var (Citadel) map and playing extremely poorly (more exploring than anything else) and suddenly realised the score was down to about 3-17 - not only had they got 14 more than my side but they were just about to capture the last command post (and the game gives you approx 20secs before "defeat is imminent"). At 2-17, I fought back one command post and avoided the time-out, stocked up on ammo and health, fought back the central point - now 2-10 and 3-bases. By this point, knowing that I can't die else it's over (and not trusting my AI team-mate to keep himself alive), I decided to move on and take the catacombs area - holy carp - talk about a vicious ambush and firefight :eek:! Just surviving, it's now 2-4. Then 2-3 - wow - I see my team-mate managed to find and kill something whilst also capturing another base!

To cut a long story short, I ambushed the last 3, kicking their a$$es in the process, and the New Republic got home safely for tea and medals... all before bed-time... ;)

*cough* seem to have got a little carried away there... *cough* ;)

-Jackpot
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." -gothicX
"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
- "Ye Wearie Wayfarer"
|| AI Builder: compatible with both JK & MotS || My website ||
2005-01-20, 7:56 PM #28
Thanks for all the opinions guys. I think I'll be checking it out sometime soon, other than the possibly slow bots and repetition, it sounds like fun.
2005-01-20, 7:58 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
The Destroyers are tough buggers if they have their shield up. They die real easy if they don't.

The hero characters can't be killed.

Blow them off a cliff.

Just wait a few months to drop about $10.
2005-01-20, 8:01 PM #30
The funny part is when you're on hoth and you hear "transport three is away!"

And then 30 minutes later...

"Transport three is away!"
2005-01-20, 8:43 PM #31
Is there a *PC* demo of this?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%

↑ Up to the top!