Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
2005-01-19, 8:22 PM #1
Finally got around to seeing it. What initially sparked my interest in the film was the title, it's got a really cool ring to it. Then Bill Murray, then Wes Anderson, and finally my memories of watching Jacques Coustea (sp?) on PBS back in the day.

Anyways, beautiful film. Very funny. Very sad and melancholy. One of the best films I have ever seen.

If there was a thread about this, sorry, otherwise, what'd you guys think?

Love to DaFoe as well for pulling off another awesome character. The guy really puts his all into every film he's in and it's always a pleasure to see him do something he loves. Plus, he's hilarious as Klaus. The Zissou flag scene... I was laughing so hard it hurt.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-01-19, 8:25 PM #2
Its a fantastic movie. I was laughing so hard When Bill Murray flips out and Iggy Pop's "Search and Destroy" plays in the background. That was simply hilarious.

I love the editing in the film... Owen Wilson and Bill Murray were great together.

Its great when Bill Murray is complaining about the reporter... he says something like "alcoholism is a disease!" meanwhile he just emptied a liquor bottle. Great stuff.

I can't wait to get it on DVD. I just might not be able to... :)
former entrepreneur
2005-01-19, 8:49 PM #3
Awesome movie. Bill Murray was great
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-01-19, 9:12 PM #4
I thought it was an ok movie, but not a great one. Like Ebert said in his review, it was "slapstick comedy that moved at the pace of a dirge."
2005-01-19, 10:09 PM #5
I've heard it said that Wes Anderson's films are an acquired taste. Let it be known: they taste delicious and The Life Aquatic is no exception. Also, I just might be in love with Bill Murray.
2005-01-19, 10:29 PM #6
Great great movie, now I jut need to get a pair of those Team Zissou shoes.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-01-19, 10:34 PM #7
...and don't forget your red cap and speedo!
2005-01-19, 10:44 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Wuss
...and don't forget your red cap and speedo!

Speaking of which, did you notice how each crewmember wore their hats differently?
2005-01-19, 10:47 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Nubs
Great great movie, now I jut need to get a pair of those Team Zissou shoes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63850&item=5356211670&rd=1
2005-01-19, 10:53 PM #10
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15690&item=3953613296&rd=1
2005-01-20, 7:10 AM #11

I saw one that came with the hat.
2005-01-20, 7:30 AM #12
don't talk about downloading movies again or you're banned. yeah, even you! =p
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-01-20, 8:44 AM #13
I'm still not sure about the movie...it was quirky, but I think I liked it. The guy singing the David Bowie songs was awesome (even though I was the only one in the theater that got they were Bowie songs...)
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2005-01-20, 2:00 PM #14
What caught me was how it quickly went to Johny Quest or Thunderbirds like sci-fi stuff. Just quirky and crazy kinda like the Venture Brothers. Once I bought into that type of mindset the movie became extremely enjoyable.
Time is but a window
Death is but a doorway
He'll be back
2005-01-20, 2:38 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by quesadilla_red
I'm still not sure about the movie...it was quirky, but I think I liked it. The guy singing the David Bowie songs was awesome (even though I was the only one in the theater that got they were Bowie songs...)

If you were the only one in the theatre older than 14.... then maybe.
2005-01-20, 6:44 PM #16
I liked it. The soundtrack is great - I'm trying to find some place to buy Seu Jorge's other stuff (the guy singing the Portugese Bowie songs).
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2005-01-20, 9:05 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomen
I liked it. The soundtrack is great - I'm trying to find some place to buy Seu Jorge's other stuff (the guy singing the Portugese Bowie songs).

They have one of his CD's on Amazon. I think it's called California.
2005-01-20, 9:44 PM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Schming
If you were the only one in the theatre older than 14.... then maybe.

No, but I live in a land where people don't get out much (or aren't very aware.)
2005-01-21, 7:37 AM #19
I also enjoyed it. It wasn't so much funny, although it had it's moments, but I'll agree about the sad and melancholy parts. It was pretty good.
2005-01-21, 7:43 AM #20
Loved the first one, loved the second one.
2005-01-21, 10:38 AM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by MechWarrior
Loved the first one, loved the second one.

?
2005-01-21, 11:30 AM #22
I liked it. It was very random, which didn't go over well with some of the people I went with, but I liked it a lot. They killed main characters, who were barely scratched, like his sorta son, but Jeff Goldbloom, shot through the heart, lives.

At one point this guy I went with said about the guitarist, "aren't those all David Bowie songs in French?" It turned out it was Portugese, but was funny.

The gunfights were just hilarious, as were William Defoe(sp?)'s ever-present a-little-too-short shorts.

It kinda reminded me of movies like Time Bandits in how wrong it was at times.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2005-01-21, 9:34 PM #23
I loved that Jeff Goldblum part!
2005-01-21, 9:48 PM #24
I just saw it; it was definitely a quirky movie, but I liked it. Though it really ticked me off that I couldn't figure out what time frame it was set in. Was it the seventies? Now? I couldn't tell.
Stuff
2005-01-22, 4:50 PM #25
The cutout of the boat sides was great too for walking around the boat, it was hilarious.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....

↑ Up to the top!