Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So the new ATi linux drivers
So the new ATi linux drivers
2005-01-20, 5:50 PM #1
... suck.

They finally got off of their arses and released new drivers for Linux, including support for xorg 6.8, mobile Radeons, and x86-64. Only thing, is that they suck.

3D and direct rendering support is somewhat better. ZSNES can now run in OpenGL mode, whereas it couldn't before. UT2004 and my Steam games seem to run a little smoother too.

2D is terrible though. My screen noticely takes time to redraw every time I minimize/maximize, scroll through a window... etc...

/rant

Anyone want to trade a GFX5900 for my 9600xt VIVO? Seriously, my GFX2 GTS in my other computer gets better framerates in linux. What a piss off.
2005-01-20, 5:57 PM #2
<--- Has never, ever had a problem with Radeon drivers, including this iteration.
2005-01-20, 5:58 PM #3
Me neither, up until the last version, and now this one.

Why me? :(
2005-01-20, 6:03 PM #4
Perhaps this weekend someone is giving me a 9200se to replace my hideously old and barely supported 7200. Any idea how that card might perform under those drivers?
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2005-01-20, 6:04 PM #5
Only way to know is to find out for yourself. :p

You're running gentoo, so the driver installation will be nice and easy. :)
2005-01-20, 7:30 PM #6
Gaming on linux is still in a primordial state. That is one of the few advantages that winxp has over linux.

Linux makes you an offer you can't refuse when it comes to business solutions, but it needs major improvemnts in gaming.
2005-01-20, 7:41 PM #7
Heh... but when that happens, ol' Bill is gonna be lookin' for a new job. Heh heh.
2005-01-20, 7:45 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS
Linux ... needs major improvemnts in gaming.

I can play every single game in my Steam collection in Linux perfectly fine. Just about every popular Windows game runs in Linux with a little help from Cedega. The problem lies mostly with drivers that are either lousy or limited (from lack of harware specs to write the driver with).
2005-01-20, 9:13 PM #9
Where are the BSD drivers?

Damn, I need an Nvidia card so I can run FreeBSD all the time.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2005-01-21, 12:40 AM #10
I remember having that 2d problem with the old drivers... I remember fixing it by changing a setting in xorg.conf it was something like setting "no_dri" to no... or maybe it was yes.

I'll look it up for you when I get home.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-01-21, 1:21 AM #11
A lot of games run on Cedega, and even more of them don't. And the sound still sucks.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!