Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Animated Desktop Backgrounds?
Animated Desktop Backgrounds?
2005-01-20, 7:18 PM #1
I'm sure that this is possible, and they may already exist. But if not, is it possible to have an animated desktop background? That's something I'm sure that would be popular. If not, why not?
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2005-01-20, 7:19 PM #2
Because it's annoying as hell.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-20, 7:20 PM #3
You have to enable your active desktop if you're on windows.
It's not popular because it's annoying. ...... Actually it'd be cool if someone made one worth using....

I'm gonna go try to make one worth using YEAH!
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-01-20, 7:20 PM #4
Err...I mean if it's not possible, why not?
2005-01-20, 7:21 PM #5
its possible, but what the hell could possibly drive you to do such a thing?
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-01-20, 7:22 PM #6
I think a cool animated background could be the deletion process of the windows folder (and yeah, I had someone dumb enough in my programming class to do this. The teacher went crazy on him)!
2005-01-20, 7:30 PM #7
Anyone remember the gif of those stick figures running up the ladders and such? Tiled, that made an awesome background
2005-01-20, 7:32 PM #8
Yes, an animated GIF is pretty common choice for a background. Yes, it is very annoying. Try this one and see how you like it...

:p
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-01-20, 7:35 PM #9
I can't remember who posted the .gif file I'm using as my background now, but they would use it for their massassi avatar (if they were allowed) and it's the evil pointing monkey from family guy. Not annoying, and still amusing :)
2005-01-20, 7:46 PM #10
That was Chaz, IIRC.
2005-01-20, 7:58 PM #11
Yes

http://www.missouri.edu/~msc42/rotsnake.gif

[edit: Image too wide. The maximum width is 800! - GoY]
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-20, 8:01 PM #12
Doesn't have multiple frames, but optical illusions are COOL!
2005-01-20, 8:16 PM #13
I use zMatrix, a program that generates the matrix style code and makes it blanket your desktop wallpaper. Looks really cool, and not annoying at all. There's even a switch in the taskbar for it, and it doesn't generate code unless you are looking at it :)
2005-01-20, 8:20 PM #14
try tiling this
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-01-20, 9:30 PM #15
I'm starting to see SWF wallpapers, which are pretty cool. Some group[s] makes them to promote video games and movies. I've seen a The Incredibles one and a Zelda Four Swords Adventure one.

Although all they've done is let you choose different wallpapers and have a "slideout" solid color part for your icons to sit on. :) Something a bit more innovative would rock.

Oh, and setting Winamp 3/5 to show the visulisations on the desktop always beats putting them in its little window. :p

2005-01-21, 12:44 AM #16
linux you can root almost any screensaver and alots of other program into the background wallpaper :-) which is cool if theyre a good program, such as an 3d earth rotating at real time, you wouldn't really notice it unleast you look at it then look at it again a few hours later and so forth.
Echoman: If I can create energy from stupidity, the world's power supply will never end...
2005-01-21, 4:49 AM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by GrndAdmThrawn
linux you can root almost any screensaver and alots of other program into the background wallpaper :-) which is cool if theyre a good program, such as an 3d earth rotating at real time, you wouldn't really notice it unleast you look at it then look at it again a few hours later and so forth.

Or make mplayer play in the root window and have any video you like as your background. :D
2005-01-21, 5:22 AM #18
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikus
Anyone remember the gif of those stick figures running up the ladders and such? Tiled, that made an awesome background
2005-01-21, 6:28 AM #19
You can make yourself a .swf desktop if you make it into an html file and set that as your desktop.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-01-21, 8:52 AM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Connection Problem
I use zMatrix, a program that generates the matrix style code and makes it blanket your desktop wallpaper. Looks really cool, and not annoying at all. There's even a switch in the taskbar for it, and it doesn't generate code unless you are looking at it :)

I was going to mention this - it's cool, but it did my head in after a while too.
2005-01-21, 9:33 AM #21
it had some problems when I used it, namely it sometimes went over desktop icons making them hard/impossible to see, that's what annoyed me about it.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-01-21, 9:36 AM #22
The thing about animated desktops is that you have to activate Active Desktop, which takes way up too much resources.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-01-21, 10:04 AM #23
I've had a (partially) animated desktop for as long as I can remember.
I have that hand-written clock in the top right of my desktop.
I know I dont need an extra clock (the windows bar one works just fine) but it just looks cool.
And for now I have a fully animated desktop, thanks to those crazy stickmen.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-01-21, 10:18 AM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by Nightwind
Yes, an animated GIF is pretty common choice for a background. Yes, it is very annoying. Try this one and see how you like it...

:p

I don't like looking at THAT one.

Well, I kinda do, but you get the point.
Hazard a company one process.
2005-01-21, 11:43 AM #25
What I want to know, is can you set a movie as your background?
2005-01-21, 11:48 AM #26
yes, open it in bsplayer and hit 'd' ;)
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-01-21, 11:50 AM #27
I happen to have this amazing animated .gif as my background, though, sadly, I still have yet to find a song to which he isn't a little offbeat in his dancing.

[http://img127.exs.cx/img127/8599/hammer5cv.gif]

Feel free to use it.
2005-01-21, 12:39 PM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by Omicron88

That is now my tiled desktop.
一个大西瓜
2005-01-21, 12:57 PM #29
I'd love to see a background of a beach with animated water and maby some grass gently swaying in the breeze.

That'd be cool.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2005-01-21, 1:21 PM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by djwguitarman
I'd love to see a background of a beach with animated water and maby some grass gently swaying in the breeze.

That'd be cool.

OMG that's what I'm making...
stop stalking me...
</sarcasm>
2005-01-21, 1:26 PM #31
post some nice desktops when your done
░▒▓█▓▒░?░▒▓█▓▒░
2005-01-21, 1:26 PM #32
Hey, that sounds pretty cool
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-01-21, 1:29 PM #33
It's actually a beach scene with a palm tree and some grass and water. All has animation, but just subtle stuff so it's not annoying. I'm doing it with vectors, though, and since I'm not very good at those yet it'll take a little bit (plus I have to spend all day cleaning off and defragging this HD). I'll make sure to post whatever I come up with.
</sarcasm>

↑ Up to the top!