Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Usual Suspects
The Usual Suspects
2005-01-21, 3:14 PM #1
Who's seen it? Who likes it? Who hates it?

Personally it' sone of my fav. movies. It came to mind because MFalse3 got me hooked watching "I love the 90's" lol

Anywho I think that movie is great! It started my crush on Kevin Spacey, but that movie is just good (at least imo)

Discuss

Laura
2005-01-21, 3:16 PM #2
I thought it was pretty cool, with a great twist at the end. A good movie, but not necessarily "great".
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-01-21, 3:18 PM #3
That 70s Show is better. It's the ONLY show... other than Family Guy... that makes me laugh EVERY EPISODE.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-01-21, 4:01 PM #4
It's one of my favorite movies.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-01-21, 4:06 PM #5
But the ending doesn't really make sense, does it?

If Kobayashi's just a name in Kujan's room, then who's that in the car Söze gets into?
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2005-01-21, 4:08 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Daeron the Nerfherder

If Kobayashi's just a name in Kujan's room, then who's that in the car Söze gets into?

Similar to Dragnet's, "The names were changed to protect the innocent." In this case, the names were changed to protect the guilty. Additionally, as Kobayashi's name wasn't Kobayashi, Redfoot's name wasn't really Redfoot. The only real names in the movie are Dean, McManus, Fenster, Hockney and Eddi. So technically, only the dead are the ones who kept their real names when telling the story, because Verbal couldn't change their name, because Kujan knew they were dead.
2005-01-21, 4:08 PM #7
I think it's the man who works for him. But the guy in the car just goes by a diff. name. I think that was merely an alias for the guy who worked for Soze
2005-01-21, 4:09 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Daeron the Nerfherder

Just because he made up the name doesn't mean the guy doesn't exist

and yes, it is fantastic.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2005-01-21, 4:11 PM #9
Time Wolf beat me to it! lol

One of my fav. scenes was the line up scene. As well as the whole ending of the movie, I had chills.

I had some friends of mine watch it and they got hooked lol One was like "i'll be Kieser, you be Soze, so we'll be Keiser Soze!" I was like "um fellas, that's only one guy" haha. O well at least they went on to show their friends the movie...spreading the love of the film :)

Laura
2005-01-21, 4:12 PM #10
It was ok. The twist wasn't played out very well and the writers choice of the scapegoat was poor, which really made the ending less effective.
2005-01-21, 4:15 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by CavEmaN
It was ok. The twist wasn't played out very well and the writers choice of the scapegoat was poor, which really made the ending less effective.

To me, the twist harkened back to the fantastic old film-noir movies; like The Third Man.
2005-01-21, 4:29 PM #12
Great movie, especially since the director made it right out of college with a script that his friend wrote. And then he went on to direct the X-men movies...so wonderful...
2005-01-21, 4:32 PM #13
Good movie with Great twist at the end.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-01-21, 4:36 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Murc XIII
Great movie, especially since the director made it right out of college with a script that his friend wrote. And then he went on to direct the X-men movies...so wonderful...

Don't forget the great editing and scoring his other friend John Ottman did. :cool:
2005-01-22, 1:55 PM #15
Quote:
The twist wasn't played out very well and the writers choice of the scapegoat was poor, which really made the ending less effective.

Your post kinda smacks of "well I'll just go against what everyone else says just because"...I mean, fair enough, movie opinions are very subjective and The Usual Suspects has flaws (though I do still think it's a great film), but "The twist wasn't played out very well and the writers choice of the scapegoat was poor?" Of all the things The Usual Suspects is guilty of, a poorly constructed ending is not it- I don't know how any other choice of scapegoat would've made the film's ending "more effective" or indeed possible, given the nature of the narrative. I'd be pretty interested to hear your ideas though.
2005-01-22, 6:46 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by CookedHaggis
Your post kinda smacks of "well I'll just go against what everyone else says just because"...I mean, fair enough, movie opinions are very subjective and The Usual Suspects has flaws (though I do still think it's a great film), but "The twist wasn't played out very well and the writers choice of the scapegoat was poor?" Of all the things The Usual Suspects is guilty of, a poorly constructed ending is not it- I don't know how any other choice of scapegoat would've made the film's ending "more effective" or indeed possible, given the nature of the narrative. I'd be pretty interested to hear your ideas though.

I never said the ending was poorly constructed, just lacking filament. The writer's choice of Keaton as the supposed Keyser Soze was the thing that didn't sit well with me. When I refer to the scapegoat I mean Keaton and as you are aware at the beginning of the film we see his dismissal. The concept of Keaton being Keyser was good although lacking. It lacked two things: 1) Keaton's death at the start meant that one of the group members had to be Keyser Soze (we see the figure looming over Keaton) thus Kujan's assertion that Keaton was Keyser seemed unplausible. 2) We observe the deaths of each character in detail (although Fenster's we don't see get killed, we do see his burial). This leads us to conclude that a) Kint is Keyser Soze as everyone else is dead, b) If Kint ain't Keyser Soze he must be working for him, or c) Ronald McDonald might pop up and do his routine McHappy dance. And in the end the only real surprise was the cup falling on the floor. Regardless the writers could have made the film with a more plausible perception that Kint was not Keyser Soze by not showing Keaton's death or if they must lessen it's impact or of course choose a different scapegoat.

↑ Up to the top!