Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → A new Star Wars RTS
A new Star Wars RTS
2005-01-21, 8:38 PM #1
It's called Star Wars: Empire at War, and the screenshots look schweet.

http://lucasarts.com/games/swempireatwar

Hopefully its better than Force Commander... since that game could have been improved tenfold if they had simply LET YOU CUSTOMIZE THE DAMN CONTROLS.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2005-01-21, 8:48 PM #2
That looks amazing... RTS in the OT timeset = pwn. Maybe they'll take the same direction they had at the Tie Fighter/X-Wing days.
2005-01-21, 8:51 PM #3
The space battles look cool, but look 2d. I really hope not...if it was like homeworld that would be fantastic
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-01-21, 9:19 PM #4
nope, it's 3d! Hmm, looks like it could be promising.
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing
(a work in progress)
2005-01-21, 9:22 PM #5
I saw some other screens for the game somewhere else. Cant remember where, but the space battles look alot more 3d.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-01-21, 9:43 PM #6
Homeworld ALMOST got me into RTS'. A SW theme might bring me all the way over to the... darkest side.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-21, 9:59 PM #7
Kirby, have you tried the SW: Warlords mod for Homeworld 2?
2005-01-21, 10:14 PM #8
yaaaaaaaaaaay finally a "sequel" to Force Commander.....the controls weren't THAT bad in FOCOM, just the damn ai doing the same crap over and over again in the skirmishes. XD I once took on like 3 computer controlled enemies as the empire....it was funny as hell. hopefully they have command points in this like in focom...that was the coolest thing, not having to go 'resource' gathering, but instead KILLING more enemies gave you MORE money to buy **** with!!
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2005-01-22, 2:39 AM #9
haha the Rifles looks too crappy....

[http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swempireatwar/images/screenshots/21.jpg]
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-01-22, 2:50 AM #10
Hopefully that's jsut because it's an early build of the game.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-22, 6:12 AM #11
Very early build, and you're never going to see them up close ingame anyway. No need to waste detail on something you're not going to be able to notice

Edit: And... image leeching is bad. you might wanna change that...
Moo.
2005-01-22, 6:44 AM #12
Mmm Those space battles look like what Master of Orion 3 should've done.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-22, 6:45 AM #13
Hopefully it will be good.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-22, 7:16 AM #14
Hopefully this won't suck like Galactic Battlegrounds.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-01-22, 7:24 AM #15
[http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swempireatwar/images/screenshots/9.jpg]

WTF is that imperial.. tank.. thing?
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-01-22, 8:38 AM #16
i think it looks quite badass, fish

[http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swempireatwar/images/concept_art/2.jpg]
2005-01-22, 10:10 AM #17
Looks kind of like a modified tie crawler :S

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-22, 10:58 AM #18
Why would it have twin ion engines?
2005-01-22, 11:05 AM #19
I read about this in Computer Gaming World. The people who made Command and Conquer: Generals are behind this I think. Also, what you do in one battle will affect another battle. Like if you destroy alot of transport ships in a outer space battle, another battle located on the planet surface will be easier.
2005-01-22, 11:14 AM #20
Yes, I read about this somewhere on some forum:

Basically, you win a battle here, it effects the resources you, and the enemy will have the next round. Basically, instead the whole harvesting deal that makes other RTS' all but unplayable, you'll have realistic resources based on your previous actions, and the story behind the current battle. Not to mention, you can sway your enemy by defeating certain units before finishing the mission objectives in order to ensure your victory the next round. A very complex system, I hope. And if it works, it'll put an end to "OMG, YOU ATTACKED ME BEFORE I COULD SPEND 20 MINUTES MINING TO GET A SPACESTATION! NOOB!" I just hope they take it a step further and get rid of the micromanaging placement of buildings. No one builds their base during a war. And just because you have a building doesn't mean you suddenly can do something different. That always bothered me about RTS. "OMG, DUDE! THIS NEW BOX OF A BUIlDING ALLOWS US TO STRAP A DIFFERENT WEAPON ONTO OUR SOLDIERS, OMG!"

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-22, 11:16 AM #21
This is being made not by the Comand and Conquer: Generals people, but the even more qualified Westwood employees who left when Westwood was bought by EA.

Also, the space battles aren't in true 3d, but in a series of 2d planes.
I'm just here for the free food
2005-01-22, 1:05 PM #22
HOLY MOLY! I want it! I was waiting for another RTS!
2005-01-22, 1:58 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY
Yes, I read about this somewhere on some forum:

Basically, you win a battle here, it effects the resources you, and the enemy will have the next round. Basically, instead the whole harvesting deal that makes other RTS' all but unplayable, you'll have realistic resources based on your previous actions, and the story behind the current battle. Not to mention, you can sway your enemy by defeating certain units before finishing the mission objectives in order to ensure your victory the next round. A very complex system, I hope. And if it works, it'll put an end to "OMG, YOU ATTACKED ME BEFORE I COULD SPEND 20 MINUTES MINING TO GET A SPACESTATION! NOOB!" I just hope they take it a step further and get rid of the micromanaging placement of buildings. No one builds their base during a war. And just because you have a building doesn't mean you suddenly can do something different. That always bothered me about RTS. "OMG, DUDE! THIS NEW BOX OF A BUIlDING ALLOWS US TO STRAP A DIFFERENT WEAPON ONTO OUR SOLDIERS, OMG!"

JediKirby

I remember reading a rumor that there isn't even builing, not like all modern RTS' anyways. Rumor...though...hmmm
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-01-22, 2:03 PM #24
That wouldn't surprise me. Ever play Ground Control 2?
D E A T H
2005-01-22, 2:11 PM #25
Give me starcraft 2, kthx bye.
(RTS not made by Blizzard = not worth playing[Except C&C])
2005-01-22, 4:43 PM #26
Mikus, have you ever played Rome? And, to keep this post on topic, that looks awesome. Everything Force commander should have been, but wasn't.
Guess what? Yep, that's right. No, no, really, it's right. Think it's wrong? You're right, it's wrong. Know why? 'Cause it is
2005-01-22, 4:48 PM #27
Rome Total War and Ground Control 2.

Both great RTS' not made by bliz
D E A T H
2005-01-22, 5:42 PM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikus
Give me starcraft 2, kthx bye.
(RTS not made by Blizzard = not worth playing[Except C&C])

After years of hearing on these forums about how great Starcraft was, I thought it must be good, so I got it a few months ago (the Starcraft Battlechest), and got halfway through the 2nd mission before I was bored with it... havent got around to trying it since. kthxbye
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2005-01-22, 6:18 PM #29
.... You need to give the game a chance.... the first terran mission is a bloody tutorial. The second one is practically another tutorial. The game doesn't get fun until 3ish, and then later.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-01-22, 7:56 PM #30
Argh. I hated starcraft. No offense or anything, it's just dull. Plus the bnet community is mostly composed of stupid people :P

WC3 > SC

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-22, 8:16 PM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
Rome Total War and Ground Control 2.

Both great RTS' not made by bliz

Minus the part where Ground Control 2 wasn't any good...

Rise of Nations, now that's an RTS worth playing.

EDIT: And can anyone confirm or deny the space battles are in 2D?
2005-01-22, 8:17 PM #32
Add a good story line, and you've got yourself a game! Heck, with the proper mods that could even be a pretty awesome FPS or Space sim. :D
2005-01-22, 9:17 PM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by tofu
Minus the part where Ground Control 2 wasn't any good...

Rise of Nations, now that's an RTS worth playing.

EDIT: And can anyone confirm or deny the space battles are in 2D?

Except for the part where Ground Control 2 was awesome.

And, Glyde, how can you diss the bnet community as a negative for Starcraft, then say Warcraft 3 is awesome? :P

Besides, Starcraft's online community isn't the only good thing about it--it's SP campaign is really, really good.

And KOP--what dudders said. You can't play 30 min or even less of a game and expect it to be grand and amazing. Hell, the first 30 minutes of System Shock 2 were amazingly boring.
D E A T H
2005-01-22, 9:33 PM #34
Quote:
Originally posted by KOP_Snake
After years of hearing on these forums about how great Starcraft was, I thought it must be good, so I got it a few months ago (the Starcraft Battlechest), and got halfway through the 2nd mission before I was bored with it... havent got around to trying it since. kthxbye

You didn't even give the game a chance.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-22, 10:01 PM #35
Until you have felt the raw power of 400 fully upgraded zerglings ravaging someone else's base, you haven't experienced Starcraft. (P.S. WC3 community=Starcraft community-5 years)
2005-01-23, 2:14 AM #36
Quote:
Originally posted by Plicat
This is being made not by the Comand and Conquer: Generals people, but the even more qualified Westwood employees who left when Westwood was bought by EA.

Also, the space battles aren't in true 3d, but in a series of 2d planes.

Quoted for Truth and Excitement!!!
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"

↑ Up to the top!