Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Son of a
Son of a
2005-01-22, 8:00 PM #1
This sucks. My computer won't boot up.

I decided to run dual Prime95 to check my system load temperatures. Seemed to be running OK for a while, and then I come back to it and the systems hard frozen. This is really nothing new, it's happened before, in fact lots of time when testing overclock settings, and it's always restarted fine. Well this time, it didn't. It got to the XP load screen, then went blank like it always does before bringing up the desktop, except it didn't do anything. Now I've been playing with it on and off and it varries between not turning on when the power button is pushed, or turning on but no monitor, and every once and a while, it turns on, gets a monitor signal, but stays on the post logo screen. :(

I'm thinking I may have fried the mobo or maybe the processor. Such a fine thing to happen too when I have no money. I'm gonna play with it a little more, disconnect everything but the bare essentials and see if it helps. If that doesnt work, I'm gonna go pick up a POST report card at my work tommorrow and see if that sheds any light. I would've liked to wait to upgrade to an Athlon64 when I had more money and could also do PCI-E while I was at it, but I may just have to get an AGP board.

*sigh* :( :(
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2005-01-22, 8:03 PM #2
If this is the result of overclocking.... then sadly, this is what you get.

If it isn't... well, you have my condolences fellow computer geek.

*Does spaceballs salute*
2005-01-22, 8:19 PM #3
It probably was caused by the overclocking, and I'm not saying I don't deserve it. It wasn't a question of if it was gonna die or not, I knew it would someday.

I just wish it hadn't been right now, since I have no money at the moment. ;) :(
2005-01-22, 8:19 PM #4
I've had bad experiences with over clocking video cards. Never again will I make an attempt.
2005-01-22, 8:21 PM #5
Now this is what burns my cheese.

It's like living at the base of a volcano, and getting erupted on. THEN complaining about it...

You don't get to complain damnit!
2005-01-22, 8:23 PM #6
... I don't understand what most of that means. You fried your computer. I donno. I wouldn't have gotten near as far as you. I'd just see it something detached, then take it down for repairs.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2005-01-22, 8:40 PM #7
my comp runs hot to begin with, so I don't have any intention of overclocking.
2005-01-22, 9:07 PM #8
Try starting your computer up in VGA mode, or Safe Mode.

You may thank me yet. Try VGA mode, if you can.
D E A T H
2005-01-22, 10:21 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
Try starting your computer up in VGA mode, or Safe Mode.

You may thank me yet. Try VGA mode, if you can.

You don't understand, there is no video at all. Even clearing the CMOS didn't help. My motherboard is dead, I just switched the processors in the family machine I'm on now, and my 3.0 GHz had no problem, but with the 2.4 GHz in my machine it still didn't work. I'm gonna go ahead and throw the 3.0 back in my machine, clear the CMOS and try one more time, but I'm not expecting a miracle. A dead motherboard shouldn't be bad to replace though. I'll just grab an AI7 at work, probably get it for a $100 after my discount. If I hadn't soldered on to the damn board I'd just RMA it, but oh well.
2005-01-22, 11:57 PM #10
I've had my compy overclocked for years without issue.

9800 -> 9800 Pro OC'ed beyond 9800 Pro
2800+ -> 3200+
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-01-23, 3:33 AM #11
A lot of graphics cards can be softmodded without a problem, and without having to worry about overclocking. A lot of the cheap cards are actually the same as the expensive versions, just with some parts of the card 'disabled'. Sometimes this is just a software thing, and you can re-enable it with special drivers.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-23, 7:19 AM #12
You said you got to the loading screen, then afterwards, it went black. How is there no video?

And everytime that's ever happened to me, I've had to start up in VGA mode.
D E A T H
2005-01-23, 9:20 AM #13
He said his computer won't go past POST now Yoshi.
2005-01-23, 12:42 PM #14
Yeah, it was acting really weird, and finally it got to a point where it just wouldn't get past the post logo screen. So I decided to take off the resistor I had soldered on to there, and I guess that might've been the problem, cause it won't even give me video now, no matter what I do.

So I'm gonna run up to my work, see what cheap boards we have that I can throw on till I get the money to upgrade the whole thing, and/or grab a cheap soldering iron, and see about cleaning up the solder on the board. I took a look at it last night, and it didn't LOOK like there were any shorts, but it wouldn't hurt to double check. No video can sometimes mean the board is shorting to the motherboard tray as well, so that'll give me a chance to try it out of the case.

It's almost nicely timed, in that I might be going up north to help set up a store in Indiana here shortly. I'll be gone for a month, and when I get back I'll have a lot of money from all the overtime, and then I can upgrade. I'll do another thread on that some other time though.
2005-01-24, 1:36 PM #15
This is why you don't overclock guys.

↑ Up to the top!