Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → 36 barrels, 1,000,000 rounds/pm
36 barrels, 1,000,000 rounds/pm
2005-01-23, 8:05 PM #1
This beast has 36 barrels on it and can fire at a rate of 1,000,000 rounds a minute

http://www.metalstorm.com/videos/ms_36barrel_mpg.zip

I want that in HL2
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-01-23, 8:50 PM #2
Holy CRAP!!

I can't imagine there could be any application, much less a practical one, for that. It doesn't seem like it could actually fire at that rate for a minute as much as it jumped around. Maybe if it was mounted incredibly well...I'd love to see that.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-01-23, 8:52 PM #3
Wow :eek:

Lets shoot some squirrels!
2005-01-24, 1:21 PM #4
Damn, I heard about that thing a couple of years back... I didn't think they would actually DO it though...
Stuff
2005-01-24, 1:59 PM #5
Holy crap, that is awesome! :eek:
Pissed Off?
2005-01-24, 2:11 PM #6
Crazy Australians.
omnia mea mecum porto
2005-01-24, 2:35 PM #7
Thats AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2005-01-24, 3:37 PM #8
The Navy is mainly planning on using it for AA stuff. Twould be fun to shoot someone just point blank....
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-01-24, 3:47 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by mscbuck
The Navy is mainly planning on using it for AA stuff. Twould be fun to shoot someone just point blank....

Yeah. I saw this on TV a year or two ago (a lot longer documentary than this clip, obviously). They indeed planned to use it against missiles.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-24, 3:52 PM #10
That slow-motion... really wasn't very good.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-24, 4:02 PM #11
Yah, it wasn't really slow enough. We need some bullet-time shots of that.
Stuff
2005-01-24, 4:03 PM #12
It WAS shooting a MILLION rounds per minute though.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-01-24, 4:21 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by lassev
They indeed planned to use it against missiles.

Beat me to it, but that's the most effect use for a weapon like that. It would create a prety good missle screen if you ask me.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-24, 4:33 PM #14
Thats probably the ONLY effective use for a weapon like that. I can't imagine any other possible application.
Life is beautiful.
2005-01-24, 4:38 PM #15
Chopping down trees perhaps.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-24, 4:39 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Leader
Thats probably the ONLY effective use for a weapon like that. I can't imagine any other possible application.

Move over shotgun.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-24, 5:26 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson
...I can't imagine there could be any application, much less a practical one, for that....

I vote we use it to execute Osama when they catch him.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-01-24, 5:28 PM #18
Yeah, but could it hold 1,000,000 rounds?
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-01-24, 6:03 PM #19
Very, very long ammo belts.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-24, 6:41 PM #20
No need to clear away the bodies, they'll be ground into a red paste.:eek:
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-24, 8:22 PM #21
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviation/article/0,20967,636378,00.html

Railguns and "Rods from God". What more could you want?

"A massive destroyer receives the location coordinates of an enemy headquarters more than 200 miles away. Instead of launching a million-dollar Tomahawk cruise missile, it points a gun barrel in the direction of the target, diverts electric power from the ship's engine to the gun turret, and launches a 3-foot-long, 40-pound projectile up a set of superconducting rails. The projectile leaves the barrel at hypersonic velocity--Mach 7-plus--exits the Earth's atmosphere, re-enters under satellite guidance, and lands on the building less than six minutes later; its incredible velocity vaporizes the target with kinetic energy alone."

<3
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-01-24, 8:26 PM #22
I want to see a demo of that.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-25, 2:03 AM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
Very, very long ammo belts.

There are no ammo belts really in this weapon. Those barrels are really just tunnels filled with bullet - explosive agent - bullet - explosive agent - bullet - etc series... The explosive agent is ignited electronically. So, it's a caseless ammo for this weapon, like for any weapons where you want an extraordinarily high fire rate. Such numbers of shots per minute are well out of range for any gatling guns, or other usual applications.

Edit: Don't quote me on this... It has been a long time since I saw that documentary, but that's how I remember it...
2005-01-25, 4:54 AM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by Glyde Bane
Move over shotgun.

Indeed.

Some of these new weapons designs are ridiculous! A missile that flies at Mach-7!? It would be cool to see but would you want it coming at your house and barely even see it before it exploded.

Anyways, one thing I didn't see on that article is the implementation of the OICW. I heard that the weapon should be standard military issue in 5 years.

To finish up, must.... have... 36 barrel.... gun!
No sig.
2005-01-25, 6:51 AM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
I want to see a demo of that.
Hazard a company one process.
2005-01-25, 7:06 AM #26
The OICW got cancelled
Moo.
2005-01-25, 7:47 AM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by lassev
There are no ammo belts really in this weapon. Those barrels are really just tunnels filled with bullet - explosive agent - bullet - explosive agent - bullet - etc series... The explosive agent is ignited electronically. So, it's a caseless ammo for this weapon, like for any weapons where you want an extraordinarily high fire rate. Such numbers of shots per minute are well out of range for any gatling guns, or other usual applications.

Edit: Don't quote me on this... It has been a long time since I saw that documentary, but that's how I remember it...

How would you reload it then?
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-01-25, 8:46 AM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Big_Fat_CoW
The OICW got cancelled

NOOOOOO!

It seemed like it would. Oh well...:(
No sig.
2005-01-25, 11:05 AM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi
How would you reload it then?

Slowly? Or with some prepacked stuff. I'm sure the engineers have designed a way to do that, but I'm quite sure it's not as fast and easy as just changing the belt of an ordinary machine gun.
2005-01-25, 12:02 PM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by HCF_Duke
NOOOOOO!

It seemed like it would. Oh well...:(

They the XM8 instead.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!