Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I hate it and love it at the same time!
I hate it and love it at the same time!
2005-01-24, 1:26 PM #1
Alright, so I'm at school, and I simply love the connection that they provide. BUT, everytime I try to play HL2 DM, I get disconnected for several minutes. I'm not sure why this happens, but does this happen to anyone else when trying to play games (people from universities mostly)?
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2005-01-24, 1:52 PM #2
I live on-campus at my university. I have no trouble connecting and playing games. Could it be a firewall issue?
2005-01-24, 2:06 PM #3
Disconnects in the first minute or two of playing usually indicate that some ports need to be opened on your firewall. For some reason, this is only the case with old HL games on Steam, not Half-Life 2 or CS: Source.

Ports here:
http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=160&p_created=1093381261&p_sid=4Wa8Mmwh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yNjgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

I also believe that there are issues with certain hardware and software configurations (router or firewall wise) where this issue can't be fixed.

Some further disconnect reading is here:
http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=4Wa8Mmwh&p_lva=&p_li=&p_page=1&p_cv=&p_pv=&p_prods=0&p_cats=0&p_hidden_prods=&prod_lvl1=0&cat_lvl1=0&p_search_text=disconnects&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=answers.search_nl
2005-01-24, 2:44 PM #4
gah! firewall stuff...that's all greek to me. Anyone know how to find the firewall software on a computer and configure its ports?
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2005-01-24, 3:22 PM #5
I don't think your school will let you reconfigure the firewall.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-24, 6:14 PM #6
If you're on XP, maybe try turning off the Windows Firewall when you play?
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-24, 6:58 PM #7
If Windows Firewall were blocking him he wouldn't be able to even play or get a server list.

2005-01-24, 7:04 PM #8
Check your console when you lag out. If you're getting out-of-order fragments or millions of lines of the same thing, it's a problem Valve brilliantly included in Source - incompatibility with the latest Linksys router firmware.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-25, 12:47 AM #9
heh.. not just source, HL1 doesnt work with the latest linksys firmware either.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-01-25, 1:28 AM #10
Heh, my school stopped online gaming so it wouldn't be so trafficed (well, mostly anyway).

It's still frickin slow.

Wireless....
it sucks.

(for a dorm building with 200 people that is)
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.

↑ Up to the top!