Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → 2004 Oscar Nominations
2004 Oscar Nominations
2005-01-25, 9:23 AM #1
In bold is who I think should win, in italics is who probably will win. You may notice Fahrenheit 9/11 didn't get a nomination (and rightly so). However, it isn't because the documentary was tripe, it was because Moore allowed the film to be broadcasted on television before the election, a no-no for nomination rules.

BEST PICTURE

THE AVIATOR
FINDING NEVERLAND
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
RAY
SIDEWAYS

Best DIRECTING

Martin Scorsese - THE AVIATOR
Clint Eastwood - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
Taylor Hackford - RAY
Alexander Payne - SIDEWAYS
Mike Leigh - VERA DRAKE

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Don Cheadle - HOTEL RWANDA
Johnny Depp - FINDING NEVERLAND
Leonardo DiCaprio - THE AVIATOR
Clint Eastwood - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
Jamie Foxx - RAY[/i]

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Alan Alda - THE AVIATOR
Thomas Haden Church - SIDEWAYS
Jamie Foxx - COLLATERAL
Morgan Freeman - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
Clive Owen - CLOSER

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Annette Bening - BEING JULIA
Catalina Sandino Moreno - MARIA FULL OF GRACE
Imelda Staunton - VERA DRAKE
Hilary Swank - MILLION DOLLAR BABY
Kate Winslet - ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Cate Blanchett - THE AVIATOR
Laura Linney - KINSEY
Virginia Madsen - SIDEWAYS
Sophie Okonedo - HOTEL RWANDA
Natalie Portman – CLOSER

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)

BEFORE SUNSET
FINDING NEVERLAND
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES
SIDEWAYS

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

THE AVIATOR
ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND
HOTEL RWANDA
THE INCREDIBLES
VERA DRAKE

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

THE INCREDIBLES
SHARK TALE
SHREK 2

ART DIRECTION

THE AVIATOR
FINDING NEVERLAND
LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT

CINEMATOGRAPHY

THE AVIATOR
HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS
THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST[/i]
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT

COSTUME DESIGN

THE AVIATOR
FINDING NEVERLAND
RAY
TROY

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

BORN INTO BROTHELS
THE STORY OF THE WEEPING CAMEL
SUPER SIZE ME
TUPAC: RESURRECTION
TWIST OF FAITH

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT

AUTISM IS A WORLD
THE CHILDREN OF LENINGRADSKY
HARDWOOD
MIGHTY TIMES: THE CHILDREN'S MARCH
SISTER ROSE'S PASSION

FILM EDITING

THE AVIATOR
COLLATERAL
FINDING NEVERLAND
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
RAY

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

AS IT IS IN HEAVEN
THE CHORUS
DOWNFALL
THE SEA INSIDE
YESTERDAY

MAKE-UP

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST
THE SEA INSIDE

MUSIC (SCORE)

FINDING NEVERLAND
HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
THE VILLAGE

MUSIC (SONG)

"Accidentally In Love" - SHREK 2
"Al Otro Lado Del Río" - THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES
"Believe" - THE POLAR EXPRESS
"Learn To Be Lonely" - THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA[/i]
"Look To Your Path (Vois Sur Ton Chemin)" - THE CHORUS

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)

BIRTHDAY BOY
GOPHER BROKE
GUARD DOG
LORENZO
RYAN

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)

EVERYTHING IN THIS COUNTRY MUST
LITTLE TERRORIST
7:35 IN THE MORNING
TWO CARS, ONE NIGHT
WASP

SOUND EDITING

THE INCREDIBLES
THE POLAR EXPRESS
SPIDER-MAN 2

SOUND MIXING

THE AVIATOR
THE INCREDIBLES
THE POLAR EXPRESS
RAY
SPIDER-MAN 2

VISUAL EFFECTS

I, ROBOT
SPIDER-MAN 2
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-01-25, 9:42 AM #2
YAY! sorryi'm pumped. I'm so glad The Aviator was nominated.

I saw it the other night and I loved it. And I mean LOVED it. I think it's my new fav. movie.

I may as well come out and say it, I found out I have OCD last Oct. I knew something was up when I realized how much trouble I was having concentrating. Um, unlike Howard Hughes, I'm not a "washer" As some of you may already know there are diff. forms of OCD. I would say I'm a checker. When I was younger I had to check and recheck that the doors were locked. I get lots of anxiety and 2 years ago, before starting at my old job I had been diagnosed with Depression, which apparently was caused by the OCD which i've had my whole life, but only now was diagnosed with.

Anywho, it goes in stages... "slight, slightly moderate, moderate, serious, and severe" I have moderate OCD that occassionally gets serious. Howard Hughes....had severe OCD. Anyways I know what it's like. Its hard to stop thoughts from repeating in your mind. Unlike some people who can let things go, people with OCD find it physically impossible because of the way our brain works. It's not a character flaw, but rathe something wrong with the transmitters in the brain. Anyways I'm on medication now, and well this is the first time I'm talking about this openly with people who are not close friends/family.

Why I'm spilling now, I dunno. Anyways I was moved that Leonardo made a film about a man with OCD. People who have it arent freaks, I think it's a condition that should be discussed more, so people get a better understanding of it. Honestly since I've been on medication, I've been able to think with A LOT more clarity, it's amazing how diff. I've felt. All have noticed a change in me, say I'm a happier person and realize why I acted how I did in the past. People would tell me to let thigns go and I really physically couldnt. It feels amazing to be able to do it to some degree now.

Anyways, I loved the movie, I almost cried. Amazing that he lived with it and was able to go on. I found the moving inspiring. WIth all that he had, he was able to make TWA, that huge plane "The Hercules", and able to make such movies as Scarface and Hells Angels. It just leaves me in awe. I'll stop ranting, but I really hope the movie wins an Oscar for Best Picture, but if not I'm satisfied that it won a Golden Globe for best picture.

And erm now imma stop ranting and spilling all of my life. Anywho, main pt. I hope the movie gets an Oscar.

Laura
2005-01-25, 11:07 AM #3
I also loved the aviator, b/c the part about the hercules/spruce goose has the Long Beach Coastline in it. Even though they blurred it, I reconized it right away. Its right where i live.

They used to keep the Spruce Goose here a few years ago, but they moved it. :(
2005-01-25, 11:19 AM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS
I also loved the aviator, b/c the part about the hercules/spruce goose has the Long Beach Coastline in it. Even though they blurred it, I reconized it right away. Its right where i live.

They used to keep the Spruce Goose here a few years ago, but they moved it. :(

yeah my father said he got to see it as well. they used to have it outside, the moved it into an exhibit (to protect from weather damage).

He says now it's housed to protect it, and on the walls they have all this info on Howard Hughes and that you can still go inside it. I really wanna go now. When my dad told me that my eyes lit up. I hope I get to see it one day. You should find where its' at in Cali and visit and let us know...that'd be so cool

Laura
2005-01-25, 12:05 PM #5
They aren't nominating "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" for visual effects? Or was that last year?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-25, 12:06 PM #6
Pfft, I'd prefer 2004 Oscar Nominations.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-25, 12:08 PM #7
The lsit is pretty good. There were a lot of good films and performances this year.

It'd be really cool to see Jaime Foxx pick up one of those nominations. I thik it woud be really sweet if Don Cheadle won too. He did an amazing job in Hotal Rwanda .
Pissed Off?
2005-01-25, 12:28 PM #8
I've seen the Spruce Goose a bunch of times, as it is about 15 miles from where my house is. It's no longer in California, but in McMinnville, Oregon, at the Evergreen Air Museum. They finshed the Museum a few years ago, so until that happened they stored the plane in pieces at an airport across the street.

The plane is huge. The building is triangular, but it has two boxes sticking out the sides so that the plane's wings could fit. There are also a lot of other planes there.

Here's a link about the museum:
http://www.aero.com/museums/evergreen/evergrn.htm

About the Oscars:

I'm mad that Eternal Sunshine of the Spottless Mind didn't get nominated for best picture, that was my second favorite movie of the year. I knew that my favorite, The Incredibles, wouldn't get nominated for best picture, since it is animated. Out of the movies there, I would say Sideways should win, though the others are still fantastic movies, but I never saw Ray or Million Dollar Baby (It doesn't start playing anywhere around here untill Friday.)

EDIT: Sky Captian did come out in 2004. Why wasn't it nommintated for best special effects? Almost the entire movie was CG! (And good looking CGI at that)
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2005-01-25, 12:36 PM #9
BEST SCORE

FINDING NEVERLAND
THE VILLAGE

The Village had an awesome sound track. i can't picture Passion winning it, Potter is the 3rd film, and the score isn't as fresh as it was from film one (I mean the theme, not the entire score), and Lemony Snickets was good, but nothing amazing. The Village has this.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-25, 12:59 PM #10
http://www.famoustexans.com/howardhughes.htm

Edit:

"I am by nature a perfectionist, and I seem to have trouble allowing anything to go through in a half-perfect condition. So if I made any mistake it was in working too hard and in doing too much of it with my own hands."
-- Howard Hughes describing his way of working and the mistakes made in building the "Spruce Goose."

Above quote from: [url]www.socalhistory.org/Biographies/h_hughes.htm[/url]

Google Search him he was an interesting man

Laura

PS. I also agree Eternal Sunshine was an amazing movie
2005-01-25, 1:31 PM #11
Best documentary definately has to go to my movie... Tupac: Resurrection. It deserves it.
2005-01-25, 2:05 PM #12
Hrm. is it normal that none of these movie ring a bell to me?

(except spidey 2.. even if it was meh)

Either way, uh.. may the best win? I have no ****ing idea...
"NAILFACE" - spe
2005-01-25, 2:16 PM #13
Eternal Sunshine of a spotless mind was a great movie.
2005-01-25, 5:08 PM #14
Bleh what a boring bunch of movies...
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-01-25, 5:13 PM #15
Did the forget about one of the best movies ever, Napoleon Dynamite?? :mad:
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-01-25, 5:22 PM #16
Last year was great, they kept on playing the Return of the King Gondor theme.
2005-01-25, 5:58 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Spork
Bleh what a boring bunch of movies...

here here

Some poor decisions this year but what do you expect? The Academy is a crock anyway. Regarding F911, I don't really see how it could have made the list. Subject matter aside, the film didn't do anything well cinematically.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-01-25, 6:51 PM #18
F911 WAS going to be nominated for Best Documentary or Best Film, but it was shown on TV before the Elections, and if you show a film on TV before the Oscars then it can't be nominated for any awards.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-25, 6:54 PM #19
Whenver I think of the Spruce Goose, all I can think of is The Simpsons, and Mr. Burns miniature plane the "Spruce Moose", which he forces Smithers to get into by pointing a gun to his head.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-01-25, 6:57 PM #20
I'm disappointed at the absence of Eternal Sunshine from the Best Picture list, but I haven't seen any of the others, so I'll hold off on claiming that it was unfairly excluded.

I like Super Size Me for Best Documentary. It wasn't the most honest look at obesity and fast food I've ever seen, and I disagreed with a lot of its claims, but it made its point in an effective and entertaining fashion.

Incidentally, I'm still looking for an opportunity to see Fahrenheit 9/11 for free.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-01-25, 8:11 PM #21
You know what's sad? I have heard of almost none of those movies.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-01-26, 6:04 AM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master
F911 WAS going to be nominated for Best Documentary or Best Film, but it was shown on TV before the Elections, and if you show a film on TV before the Oscars then it can't be nominated for any awards.

It probably would have been nominated for something although Best Film would have been a disgrace. Still, I don't see how the film really is deserving of any award seeing as how it doesn't do anything well cinematically. And the fact that it wasn't a documetary should matter but that didn't seem to with Bowling For Columbine. Just more reasons why the Academy is a farce.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-01-26, 6:13 AM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane
I like Super Size Me for Best Documentary. It wasn't the most honest look at obesity and fast food I've ever seen, and I disagreed with a lot of its claims, but it made its point in an effective and entertaining fashion.

Incidentally, I'm still looking for an opportunity to see Fahrenheit 9/11 for free.

Super Size Me was entertaining. Few things I thought were askew but I don't have any major problems with this film.

I was actively "looking" for a free way to watch F911 but I had ... difficulties. So I added it to my Netflix list along with Fahrenhype 911. Fahrenheit 911 had me laughing hysterically for the first few minutes [paraphrase] Was it all just a dream? Al Gore was winning the election. But then Fox News declared Bush the winner of Florida. How did this happen? He had a relative at Fox News who made the call. [/paraphrase] WTF? So let me get this straight. Bush won Florida because a relative of his works at Fox News? Hillarious!

↑ Up to the top!