Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I bought an illegal item today (Klingon Martial Arts)
I bought an illegal item today (Klingon Martial Arts)
2005-01-25, 1:57 PM #1
I was at my local Half Price Books today when I found a copy of a book that is out of print because it was illegally published. I know one of the guys who worked on it (he designed the cover art) and just had to buy it. It's the Klingon Martial Arts book, and it cost me only $7.98

Now I dunno what to do with it.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-01-25, 1:59 PM #2
Learn it? :p
2005-01-25, 2:11 PM #3
Actually the first thing I did after taking that photo was e-mail the guy I know who designed the cover and offer him the book. I dunno if he has a copy.
2005-01-25, 2:18 PM #4
scans.
Now.
2005-01-25, 2:41 PM #5
how about.
No.

The book is illegally published. Scanning photos in would be just as illegal.
2005-01-25, 2:55 PM #6
What made it illegal to begin with?
woot!
2005-01-25, 3:02 PM #7
Read it and become a master of Klingon martial arts, obviously.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-25, 3:03 PM #8
We so need to be enlighened on the ways of Klingon martial arts!
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2005-01-25, 3:34 PM #9
What exactly is 'illegal publishing'? Does it violate copyrights or something?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-25, 3:45 PM #10
B7
2005-01-25, 3:49 PM #11
I assume it's copyright infringement. The author of that book maybe published it without copyright agreement over Klingon (and related materials) with the Star-Trek whatever company. *shrug*
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-25, 3:51 PM #12
See, the term Klingon is a registared trademark of Paramount. They never got the rights to publish it. Anything that is published about Star Trek must have the OK by Paramount. The author, Chet Braun (though the cover says HetaQ), never got the legal right. The cover even reads "This book is not prepared, approved, licensed, or endorsed by any entity involved in creating or producing the Star Trek television series and films."

Gene, the guy who helped with the cover art said this:

Quote:
That book was by a classmate of mine, Chet Braun. The funny thing was that he wasn't even that into Star Trek; I doubt he could've named the original crew when he wrote it. I'm not even sure why he wrote it. I designed the cover. That was back in my graphic design days. Although he supplied all the images, including a disc of stock patterns with which I did the swirly cover. It took me about half an hour - and I never took a class in graphic design (I barely read the photoshop manuel). I was paid handsomely for the job, which made up for all the graphic arts jobs I did when I wasn't paid. Anyways, he printed up a lot of those and then was immediately shut down by Paramount, and for good reason. To this day, he insists he was in the legal right, to which I reply, then why isn't the book legal to sell? So it's a bit of a collector's item, and yes, I do have a copy in my martial arts library.

↑ Up to the top!