Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → JK2 Dark Forces NEW PLAY-AREA (not zone)
JK2 Dark Forces NEW PLAY-AREA (not zone)
2005-01-25, 9:04 PM #1
So i was wondering where you guys all play jedi knight dark forces now.......or does nobody play that anymore?

anyway i am seriously considering making a website for the game that has the same easy layout as the zone but with enhanced apps, like better security,bans for hackers, advanced anti cheat program, full moderators, none of that every 2 days 1 mod comes in for 2 seconds and in game speach so you can talk while you play instead of typing. Its just an idea, but i dont know if people play this game that much anymore. also on this site i was thinking of putting quake and other assorted forgoten multiplayer games. But its not gonna be free for me to make so i dont wanna drop the cash and have nobody come play.

so if your interested i'd like you to tell me. Thanks

I may have overlooked the fact that a site like this may already exist, if so, please tell me where.

Thanks for reading
2005-01-25, 9:11 PM #2
I've been juggling around a few ides about bringing back the Massassi Player's Group and #massgames, restoring them to at least a portion of their former glory.
2005-01-25, 9:12 PM #3
yea, but it seems there arent much interested people.....really too bad, its a great game. Still beats many many games out there.
2005-01-25, 9:17 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Impact93
So i was wondering where you guys all play jedi knight dark forces now.......or does nobody play that anymore?

anyway i am seriously considering making a website for the game that has the same easy layout as the zone but with enhanced apps, like better security,bans for hackers, advanced anti cheat program, full moderators, none of that every 2 days 1 mod comes in for 2 seconds and in game speach so you can talk while you play instead of typing. Its just an idea, but i dont know if people play this game that much anymore. also on this site i was thinking of putting quake and other assorted forgoten multiplayer games. But its not gonna be free for me to make so i dont wanna drop the cash and have nobody come play.

so if your interested i'd like you to tell me. Thanks

I may have overlooked the fact that a site like this may already exist, if so, please tell me where.

Thanks for reading

you don't have the resources. The amount of bandwidth required would be astronomical. Just give it to #massgames
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2005-01-25, 9:31 PM #5
sigh....i DO infact have the resources. thanks for the heads up though i forgot to mention that i used to multy host Half_Life 1 games ect ect
2005-01-25, 10:16 PM #6
Rather than establish a big server to host everyone's games, I think it would be more....understandably reasonable to just set up some sort of dynamic "Current active games" list.

Set up some kind of php form to add a game to the list after the server fills out the details of the game and whatnot, then remove it either when he's done playing or after a certain time period....hm. I guess one drawback to that would be the servers having to post their IP's publicly for the duration of their game.

Anyway, if you wanted to do that, I suppose you could set up an "upcoming games" list aswell. You may have trouble finding a group of random players to join your game right when you want to play, but maybe if there's a certain time and date people would set aside some time.

I'm pretty sure this is almost exactly how Mass Games worked, though...so...don't jump down my throat for that...
2005-01-25, 11:12 PM #7
no, thats a good idea too, by the looks of things people dont really miss JK all that much, i personaly miss the mods and such. mabey i'll just make a JK hangout with a chat room and such. Then i'll just add lil boxes at the bottom so people can type in what game they are going to launch (KWP@OASIS nf nh nc) and then the name of the server ( WOOT ) so then the person goes into JK and simply clicks *search for server* and WOOT comes up then they can join, if another server like BOOM shows up, they can simply click *search next* and eventually WOOT will come up and they can join, then you wont have to post IP.

I am however working on a program with some friends in wich you simply type in the server name your looking for and it auto finds it for you.

i have many ideas, just tryna bang out the right one.
2005-01-26, 3:14 AM #8
hey it is possible to play jk with gamespy^^
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-01-26, 4:08 AM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by G-Man
hey it is possible to play jk with gamespy^^

But who the hell installs gamespy? I sure don't.
2005-01-26, 4:48 AM #10
Gamespy is horrible crap.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-26, 5:20 AM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Echoman
Gamespy is horrible crap.

I know...
SpriteMod (JO 2003) Roger Wilco Skin

Snail racing: (500 posts per line) ---@%
2005-01-26, 9:29 AM #12
Ron and I were testing out a bug fix for Qtracker, just yesterday, and although the problem isn't yet fixed, he's working hard on the issue, and it should be anytime now. While I would encourage everyone to use IRC for chat, Qtracker is simply a superior method of hosting/joining games.
2005-01-26, 6:24 PM #13
Bah, if we really wanted to do it the cheap way, we could just get a ventrillo or Team Speak and everyone could just list there games instead of chanels.....easy enough.
2005-01-26, 6:27 PM #14
wait. Isn't it called Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2??
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-26, 6:56 PM #15
uuh, yes

Ventrillo and Teamspeak are programs that let you meet and talk, like a chat room, only with microphones....you can still type if you want.

anyway, you can run games while both these programs are on.
2005-01-26, 7:03 PM #16
i know a project thats aimed to be an alternative of the zone for a few games.... they've been experimenting around for a while with different things..... they're close to a beta test version of the program and system, last time i heard
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2005-01-26, 7:55 PM #17
Where you chat is insignificant. The community is already split, and while you may bring the majority together in one place, you're still going to have a few that want to use their own methods. However, if you'll simply host your games with Qtracker, there won't be a problem, because the servers will be in a central location, despite where and how everyone chats. You folks really need to check out the program, if you haven't already. It supports a ton of games, as well as mIRC, and JK/MotS will be here soon, once again.

/me hopes he isn't wasting his breath.
2005-01-26, 8:12 PM #18
jeez, ur a hard read.

Hell if somone has a place to play JK fine, but i havent seen anything better than a half assed attemped at best for old school games.

as far as split chat and whatever........ i have nothin to say to that as it makes no sence to me...explaine?

anyhow, rolling poll with feedback from everyone, ideas are welcome.
2005-01-30, 11:18 PM #19
bump
2005-01-31, 5:02 AM #20
Quote:
jeez, ur a hard read.

Hell if somone has a place to play JK fine, but i havent seen anything better than a half assed attemped at best for old school games.

as far as split chat and whatever........ i have nothin to say to that as it makes no sence to me...explaine?

anyhow, rolling poll with feedback from everyone, ideas are welcome.

Ventrillo is a program that runs in the background. You bind a key to activate your mic. It dims the game sounds when someone else in the channal has the button pressed down, so you can hear their voice. Simple right?

And #massgames would work if people actually went there.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-31, 5:40 AM #21
I'd go in there if anyone ever played..

Ahhh it's catch 22 :P
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-01-31, 11:56 AM #22
If anyone is interested in helping organize a new playing community for massassi, let me know. For starters, you could at least idle in #massgames. Oppage in the channel would definately be forthcoming for those who help out.
2005-01-31, 11:58 AM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by DSettahr
If anyone is interested in helping organize a new playing community for massassi, let me know. For starters, you could at least idle in #massgames. Oppage in the channel would definately be forthcoming for those who help out.

I'd love to be a part of this. JK is my favorite game of all time. Just need to open ports for it though :S Dosen't want to work for Multiplayer. Also I think my video card is too good for it. I get random HOM in boxes and such.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-31, 3:36 PM #24
Quote:
sigh....i DO infact have the resources. thanks for the heads up though i forgot to mention that i used to multy host Half_Life 1 games ect ect

Multihosting a few games is one thing. Having an arena with millions of pageviews a day with millions of unique visitors creating dynamic games with enough "lobbies" to manage more than say three or four games is entirely different. The cost of maintaining a system large enough to make it worthwhile (especially for free) would be astronomical. So I stand by my previous statement of "You don't have the resources".
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

↑ Up to the top!