Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Last Action Hero
Last Action Hero
2005-01-26, 12:41 PM #1
So this movie came out in the mid-90's. It stars Arnold Schwartzenegger and that kid from My Girl 2. It was supposed to be a big success with a great soundtrack and multiples of cameos from big name stars. Unfortunately, the movie tanked at theatres. I've got to say that this is one of my favorite movies. Some people may think that it's horrible because it follows every action movie cliche, well that was the friggin' point! It mocked action movies and Arnold was even making fun of himself. The soundtrack is great for the most part, and features some of my favorite songs (performed by Anthrax, Megadeth, and Queensryche). I think that if critics didn't analyze things for what they appear to be, this movie would've probably been a bigger success. Anyone else like this movie?
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2005-01-26, 12:42 PM #2
i thought it was great.
2005-01-26, 12:48 PM #3
Absolutely hilarious movie...I love it.
2005-01-26, 12:56 PM #4
It tanked because it went up against Jurassic Park. A huge mistake in retrospect.
2005-01-26, 1:01 PM #5
To be . . . or not to be.
*Arnold shoots the **** out of everyone*
Not to be.

I liked it as well. It made fun of itself and all the other action movies of the time.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-26, 1:25 PM #6
Hey Cladius... You killed my father. Big mistake.

No one's going to tell this sweet prince, "Goodnight!"

I love this movie, but it has yet to get a decent DVD release.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-01-26, 1:36 PM #7
It is on DVD, just not one with lots of features.
2005-01-26, 1:38 PM #8
Hence, not having a decent DVD release, and the only one sold is fullscreen.
2005-01-26, 2:06 PM #9
I think I've only seen it once..a while back. From what I can remember, it was great..
woot!
2005-01-26, 3:09 PM #10
Awesome movie.

Too bad it never got the respect it deserve(s/d)
D E A T H
2005-01-26, 3:12 PM #11
Yeah... I also remember pretty much every critic blamed it for a whole bunch of things. What can men do against such reckless hate?

Personally, I don't remember it being such a bad movie. But probably not that excellent either, since I hardly remember it at all.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-26, 3:41 PM #12
I liked it when it was new but now I think less of it. Maybe it's just a film you don't like as much as you get older.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-01-26, 3:48 PM #13
I thought it was the perfect summer movie: lots of guns and explosions, Ah-nold, and stupid as hell.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-01-26, 4:08 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by lassev
...What can men do against such reckless hate?...

Ride out and meet them head on? :p
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-01-26, 4:51 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
Ride out and meet them head on? :p

For death and glory?
2005-01-26, 4:59 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast
For death and glory?

For Massassi. For your people.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-01-26, 5:03 PM #17
I haven't seen that movie in a long time. Still, Arnold movies are great for their action and one-liners.
2005-01-26, 5:30 PM #18
It's great, and it's hilarious.

Quote:

(In the Real New York)

Benedict: I wonder if you could help me?
Mechanic: Sure, what do ya need?.
Benedict: Well...
[benedict shoots him. He listens for a while, then shouts]
Benedict: I have just shot someone, I did it on purpose.
[listens some more, still nothing]
Benedict: I said, I have just killed a man and I wish to confess!
[listens some more, someone tells him to shut up. He looks pleased]
2005-01-26, 5:47 PM #19
Benedict scared me as a kid. Such a great villain.

"No Jack... I just left one chamber empty."

The only pure genius ever to come out of a cliche action-movie villain. So simple too.
2005-01-26, 5:50 PM #20
"No sequel for you!"
2005-01-26, 6:01 PM #21
"Want to be a farmer?"

*knees guy in the crotch*

"Here's a couple of ache-ers."
2005-01-26, 10:18 PM #22
Think about it. Imagine am ovie such as that being made today, it would be lucky to have a star as big as Schwartzenegger, I mean, after all the other movies he's done and what not.

Favorite moments:
*before Arnold throws a guy in the air* "Don't quit your day job"

*Ice cream truck blows up, ice cream cone get's stuck in the back of a guy's head- thus killing him*
Arnold: "Iced that guy. Cone a phrase."
<<< GOLD

"Look, elephant!"

"This man need's a doctor! "this man needs a doctor!"
"I'm a doctor"
"You're a doctor?"
*nods*
"uhh...check his chin'
*arnold knocks the guy out with the body on his shoulders*
"The doctor has fainted, can anyone help this man?"

I think mainstream movies weren't ready for this kind of movie back then.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2005-01-27, 3:38 AM #23
I saw some of this when I was like 9. I thought it was pretty good but the kid was too whiney.
MithShrike: First Mateneer
Pimpin' Yerba Mate Drinker
2005-01-27, 4:44 AM #24
I loved that movie. It was a great action/satire type movie.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2005-01-27, 4:55 AM #25
I love it, saw it on tv last month
nope.
2005-01-27, 9:29 AM #26
When I was a kid I saw it with my dad. Arnold was almost like a role model for me at the time (like indiana jones...but with bigger muscles), and I remember thinking it was good, but my dad kept saying "the movie wasn't good at all. The story was bad, the action was bad, Terminator 2 was much better."

Now my dad sees it on TV and he says "You know, every time I see this movie it gets better and better, because everything they make fun of is so overly done/so true.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2005-01-27, 9:37 AM #27
Danny Madigan: You think you are funny, don't you?
Jack Slater: I know I am. I'm the famous comedian Arnold Braunschweiger.
Danny Madigan: Schwarzenegger!
Jack Slater: Gesundheit

[Dead assassin tumbles out of closet after Slater has fired into it without warning]
Danny Madigan: How'd you know someone was in there?
Jack Slater: There's always someone in there. It costs me a fortune in closet doors
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-27, 9:52 AM #28
I think it needs a better DVD release. The one that's out now is ok, but it's basically just the movie. I watch this thing a lot, and now I know that I'm not the only one who likes it. But hey, atleast it's on DVD. There's several movies that I love that haven't had a better release other than LaserDisc. For instance, Monster Squad. This is another one of my favorite movies, and it doesn't look like it's going to be on an official DVD any time soon. Mainly, it's because no one really knows who holds the rights to the movie as of present. Hopefully, it will be released sometime soon though with some killer extras. My favorite lines from The Monster Squad are...

Sean: "Kick him in the nards!"
Fat Kid (Horace): "Wolfman doesn't have nards!"
Sean: "DO IT!"
*Fat kid kicks wolfman in the crotch. wolfman falls over.*
Fat Kid (Horace): "Wolfman's got nards!"
Who made you God to say "I'll take your life from you"?
2005-01-27, 9:52 AM #29
You know tar usually sticks to some people.

↑ Up to the top!