Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Animal-Human Hybrids
Animal-Human Hybrids
2005-01-27, 11:48 AM #1
Click

This really creeped me out.
"I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a person is, the more likely it is for that person to have extreme prejudices." -Clint Eastwood
2005-01-27, 11:59 AM #2
Wow! Interesting article.

I assume such progress in these fields will face strong conflict with "ethics standards" and religious groups.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-27, 12:01 PM #3
Blasted furres (or whatever) are plauging science now too! WHAT WILL HAS THE WORLD COME TO?!

*leaps off tall building*
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-27, 12:05 PM #4
For example, an experiment that would raise concerns, he said, is genetically engineering mice to produce human sperm and eggs, then doing in vitro fertilization to produce a child whose parents are a pair of mice.

AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LIKE STEWART LITTLE!!!!!
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2005-01-27, 12:07 PM #5
AHHAAAAHHHAAAAA!:D ROFLCOPTER

But seriously, a mouse with a 100% human brain? What would it think/feel/do? what rights would it have, and what kind of hell would it go through? There are ethical standards and limits, and like they said, there are many other ways to accomplish what they're trying to attain, i.e. use of complex computer models.

This is just creepy to me. O_o
"I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a person is, the more likely it is for that person to have extreme prejudices." -Clint Eastwood
2005-01-27, 1:01 PM #6
they should just say to hell with ethics and label it

'the narnia project'
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2005-01-27, 1:49 PM #7
This is excellent news, it has huge implications in drug testing for medication and cosmetics.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-27, 1:54 PM #8
Hey, if they could give me the speed of a cheetah and the strength of a gorilla, I'd be happy!
2005-01-27, 2:05 PM #9
Ha! Nothing can stop the technocrats!

What can be done will be done.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-27, 2:07 PM #10
Meow.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2005-01-27, 2:08 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Glyde Bane
Blasted furres (or whatever) are plauging science now too! WHAT WILL HAS THE WORLD COME TO?!

*leaps off tall building*

Don't do it! They'll just harvest your DNA from the splattered remains!
2005-01-27, 2:09 PM #12
Well, you knew it was going to happen eventually.
Stuff
2005-01-27, 2:21 PM #13
Yay, I... um... guess.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-01-27, 2:46 PM #14
Hmmm Is it really safe to mix human intelligance with an animal body?
2005-01-27, 3:18 PM #15
ALL HAIL THE MAN MONGOOSE!!! [/SIZE] [/b]
2005-01-27, 3:22 PM #16
omg <3 mongeese
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-27, 3:29 PM #17
It's interesting but kind of makes me sick. People do the strangest things...
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2005-01-27, 3:29 PM #18
Anyone ever play that game, Impossible Creatures?
2005-01-27, 3:32 PM #19
I can't wait till I get turned into a super human.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-01-27, 4:02 PM #20
wouldn't that be Mangoose?
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-01-27, 4:17 PM #21
Quote:
And at Stanford University in California an experiment might be done later this year to create mice with human brains

let me guess they are gonna sit a bunch in a box with some mouse traps and see how long it takes for them to outsmart the trap...

since it's a human brain they might just give up and watch TV
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-27, 4:20 PM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Stafford

I bought that game for my brother for 5 bucks from wal-mart for christmas.

Guys, don't you think there are some ethical standards here to consider?
2005-01-27, 4:27 PM #23
SCREW ETHICS. I WANT MY KID TO HAVE EMU LEGS.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-27, 4:30 PM #24
o...k... nevermind the ethics question.

EMU LEGS FOR EVERYONE!
2005-01-27, 4:44 PM #25
Who cares what religious groups think? Screw them. When was the last time someone walked on water, or God appeared, or for that matter, anything happened that can literally be proven that God himself did it? Face it, science is making progress. Screw the religious crap.

When I get a headache, I don't pray to God for help. I take Advil. When I need to have an x-ray done on my back to see if it can be fixed, I don't say "Dear God, please fix my back." I go get an x-ray done, get my back cut open and my spine adjusted.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-01-27, 5:01 PM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Stafford

yup

<3 grizzling mantis.

:D
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-01-27, 5:48 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by THRAWN
Who cares what religious groups think? Screw them. When was the last time someone walked on water, or God appeared, or for that matter, anything happened that can literally be proven that God himself did it? Face it, science is making progress. Screw the religious crap.

If you knew anything about religion, you'd understand why.

As for the topic at hand...

WHO WANTS A COW/HUMAN HYBRID?! *DROPS PANTS*

YOU CANNOT RESIST MY MANUDDERS
Moo.
2005-01-27, 6:21 PM #28
Hahahahaha! Oh man, this thread has made me laugh more than I have in a while. Emu legs, man udders.....then again, it could be the beer. Ah well, good stuff anyway:)
2005-01-28, 1:05 AM #29
If this stuff gets banned in America they will simply move to another country and do it there.
Religion may have stifled science in the past, but it's never stopped it, and it will never stop it.

It is kinda creepy though...
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-01-28, 3:49 AM #30
'Ethical concerns' really shouldn't contrain science very much. The 'morals' of society are shaped by science, never the other way round. A few hundred years ago, using dead bodies for anything was totally out of the question, because of superstitious fears about the dead, but now organs from cadavers are being used to save lives all the time. What might seem 'creepy' today will only become normal in the future, if it is useful. Like blokey above said, you cannot 'stop' science, you cannot censor science. If America bans this, the science will still go on, just somewhere else, and America will lose out on all the medical benefits this research offers.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2005-01-28, 7:21 AM #31
Quote:

When I get a headache, I don't pray to God for help. I take Advil. When I need to have an x-ray done on my back to see if it can be fixed, I don't say "Dear God, please fix my back." I go get an x-ray done, get my back cut open and my spine adjusted.

QFT - Couldn't have put it better myself.

They are called beliefs for a reason, not proofs.

If it can potentially benefit the human race as a whole, and isn't exceptionally risky (Benefits > Risks) then go for it. Of course, there will be military applications for it but hell, crossbread humans with roaches and we might survive the inevitable.
"Whats that for?" "Thats the machine that goes 'ping'" PING!
Q. How many testers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. We just noticed the room was dark; we don't actually fix the problems.
MCMF forever.
2005-01-28, 8:56 PM #32
Quote:

WTF are you talking about? The article never once mentioned religion or religious groups. The ethics mostly in question are the rights of the hybrid animals will or won't have. We've got this same old mention of "spare parts" in the article, if that gives any insight.

ethics != morals

I'm pretty much with this guy:
Quote:
Biotechnology activist Jeremy Rifkin is opposed to crossing species boundaries, because he believes animals have the right to exist without being tampered with or crossed with another species.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-01-28, 9:23 PM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY
omg <3 mongeese

This calls for FLAMING PURPLE MONGEESE!

[http://members.lycos.co.uk/firestarterinc/graphics/mongeese.jpg]
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-01-28, 9:32 PM #34
They must create a Bat-man
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-01-28, 9:38 PM #35
Quote:
Originally posted by Mort-Hog
This is excellent news, it has huge implications in drug testing for medication and cosmetics.
2005-01-29, 6:44 AM #36
Quote:
Biotechnology activist Jeremy Rifkin is opposed to crossing species boundaries, because he believes animals have the right to exist without being tampered with or crossed with another species.

We've been doing this with selective breeding for centuries. Animals have always been 'tampered with', in order to produce the greatest yield.

This is just a far more efficient way, with a whole host of medical benefits.
2005-01-29, 12:38 PM #37
And now we're bringing humans into it.

Also, that sounded like an appeal to tradition. Also, selective breeding is not the same as genetic manipulation.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-01-29, 3:02 PM #38
Bull's Eye DogS. This genetic manipulation is not the same as selective breeding. In selective breeding an animal stays within it's species with an untampered genetic code. Genetic alteration like this is worlds apart from that. You cannot selectively breed a human brain into an animal. Also, this is not the only way to further our medical knowledge. The same means can be accomplished through complex computer models and the such without such contreversy and disregard for ethics.
2005-01-29, 3:13 PM #39
Quote:
Bull's Eye DogS. This genetic manipulation is not the same as selective breeding. In selective breeding an animal stays within it's species with an untampered genetic code. Genetic alteration like this is worlds apart from that. You cannot selectively breed a human brain into an animal. Also, this is not the only way to further our medical knowledge. The same means can be accomplished through complex computer models and the such without such contreversy and disregard for ethics.

You can only do so much with computer modelling.

All cosmetics and drugs are tested on animals. They have to be, because that's the only way to make sure the product is safe for use in humans. If a product says "Not tested on animals!" then it's not lying, that product itself hasn't been tested, but everything in it has. There isn't an alternative to animal testing, it's the only way to make sure people won't be harmed by the products. Computer modelling is used to know where to start, it answers a lot of the preliminary questions, but it simply isn't good enough to really make sure the product is safe.
Even with animal testing, there may still be gaps, things that are different in humans than to the animal - with genetic manipulation, we'll be filling in those gaps as best as we can.
'Disregarding ethics' isn't really a very significant point. Ethics change. And in this case they'll have to, because 'ethics' conflict with minimising the side-effects of drugs, which could cause serious injury or death to humans. That isn't really much of a choice.
2005-01-29, 3:21 PM #40
When cosmetics are tested on animals they aren't genetically altered. And with all the new technology that we create, we will be able to use more technology towards such research.

This is just like the debate over human stemcell research. People wanted to create in test tubes human embryos, destroy them, and harvest their stem cells. Anyone who opposed such actions was labled a fanatical zealot and was thought to be hidering life saving research. Human placentas have over twice the stem cells and don't involve such contreversy. Why use such contreversial practices when methods less questionable and just as/ more effective exist?

↑ Up to the top!