Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anarcy Free Online: Scammed
Anarcy Free Online: Scammed
2005-01-27, 3:33 PM #1
Quote:
Dear citizen of Rubi-Ka,

Your account TheBSG can now be upgraded to Shadowlands at no cost!

Upgrade to Shadowlands before Feb 7th, 2005, pay NO upgrade fee AND receive
the award winning booster pack Notum Wars as an added bonus. (Saving you $19.95*)

Here are some press comments on Shadowlands:
"Probably the biggest, most well-planned add-on that any online game
has ever received. Excellent." PC Gamer US
"Shadowlands not only meets its rivals head on in terms of content for
players of all levels, but in many ways saunters past them without
breaking sweat" [Score 8,8 - Editor's Choice Award] - IGN
"..not only the most impressive expansion pack we have ever seen, but
standing alone it would be the best MMORPG on the market today."
[Score 8,8/10] - MMORPG.com

You can find out more about the features in the Shadowlands expansion pack,
including additional levels, playfields and professions, by visiting:
http://www.anarchyonline.com/shadowlands

To take advantage of this offer, log into your account at https://register.funcom.com
update your payment details if needed, and upgrade using the "UPGRADE TO SHADOWLANDS
FOR FREE!" box in the top right corner of the page. Please note that upgrading your
account is irreversible! Additional download may be required:
http://www.anarchy-online.com/content/downloads/tryout/

* Subscription fees will apply, starting as low as $7.95 per month for a full year plan.

If we can do anything to improve your stay on Rubi-Ka, please contact us at
freetrial@anarchy-online.com

--
Best regards,
Funcom

http://www.anarchy-online.com

It seems this was their plan from the beginning. Now everyones going to click-a-click-click now that they've realized how absolutelly bad the normal game is without expansions, and then they'll be paying 7.50 a month. Fan-****ing-tastic. I'm a little angry they're trying to pull this on unsuspecting people. Sure, I won't be paying for it, but I got quite excited when I read it. Sure enough, I still have to play the crappy and boring game they've blumed for people.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-27, 3:41 PM #2
Did you honestly expect them to just let you have a MMO for free? They are in this for profit.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-01-27, 3:45 PM #3
Don't see what's so wrong with them wanting to make a profit. You don't "have to play" their game. You don't have to upgrade. And they even mention in the e-mail that if they upgrade that they'll start charging a monthly subscription fee.

Am I missing something?
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2005-01-27, 6:40 PM #4
The fact that they made a big deal about being free, and are now charging.
2005-01-27, 6:48 PM #5
They aren't suddenly "charging". For basic AO, it's still free. If you upgrade to the expansions (which were always still p2p), then you get them free but still have the monthly fee. They have never been deceiving, and noone is forcing you to suddenly "pay" if you don't want to.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-01-27, 7:38 PM #6
It's just that they made a huge deal to get people hooked, and now they're charging money... hypocritical
2005-01-27, 7:51 PM #7
It's not hypocritical because
A) they aren't charging for anything they weren't before
B) it's actually quite a clever way of getting new recruits into an older game.

If they said "Oh well actually we think we're gonna charge again for plain AO" then yeah, I coudl see your point. But I just think it's stupid to make a big deal out of it because everyone should have seen this coming anyways. Hell, they're giving you another deal by giving you the other 2 games free. I just fail to see why this is a bad thing in any way.
</sarcasm>
2005-01-27, 7:52 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by fishstickz
Did you honestly expect them to just let you have a MMO for free? They are in this for profit.

What about Guild Wars?
2005-01-27, 7:56 PM #9
^you still have to buy the game...
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-27, 7:59 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Trigger Happy Chewie
What about Guild Wars?

They have a pricing scheme, basically, they are releasing lots of expansion packs. No one plays the game without expansion packs.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-01-27, 7:59 PM #11
No they aren't. While the e-mail is misleading, it's true. You get the expansion for free. You just have to pay a monthly fee to PLAY it...

The original deal was this:

• You get Anarchy Online free, and you can play it for free.
  • If you want the expansions, you have to pay for them, and also pay a monthly fee.

The new deal is this:

• You get Anarchy Online free, and you can play it for free.
  • If you want the Shadowlands expansion, you get it for free, but pay a monthly fee.
  • If you want the other expansions, you have to pay for them, and also pay a monthly fee.

[Matt: Edited to improve formatting]
2005-01-27, 8:08 PM #12
The email isn't misleading, they say it right there that you have to pay the monthly fee. I got the same email as everyone else did, and I never once felt like they were trying to mislead me.
</sarcasm>
2005-01-28, 12:56 AM #13
They made all this is fairly obvious on the website you download the game from.
All that's changed is now they have a deal to get the expansions cheaper.
I see nothing to be angry about, theres been no lies, no covering of the truth.
Whats the big deal?
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-01-28, 10:25 AM #14
You guys are getting upset about nothing in my opinion. How is this different than any other game demo or shareware?
2005-01-28, 10:26 AM #15
Word
2005-01-28, 10:56 AM #16
So...providing free content in hopes that you will purchase some pay content is what constitues a scam now? Say goodbye to demos and shareware...same damn thing!

Or were you guys under the impression that AO was in the business of entertaining you for free while eating the costs of server maintance and bandwidth?

And being 'hooked' doesn't fly. This is a game, not crack cocaine.
-El Scorcho

"Its dodgeball time!" -Stormy Waters

↑ Up to the top!