Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The last hurrah of the SW FPS, or just the next step? Decide for yourselves
The last hurrah of the SW FPS, or just the next step? Decide for yourselves
2005-01-27, 5:21 PM #1
SW: Republic Commando PC Demo (421Mb)

I'm going into this open-minded, but I hear from another bunch of forumites that it's rather good, actually. Hopefully this'll be a return to solid Dark Forces style projectile based combat.

Hop to it, you know you want to. Post Mirrors/Impressions too.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2005-01-27, 5:26 PM #2
It was fun, my only gripes are the shoddy enemy AI sometimes and all the load times.
2005-01-27, 5:29 PM #3
i enjoyed it
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2005-01-27, 5:47 PM #4
That link doesnt work, and I cant find another one. Help me out?

*edit* nevermind, it works now
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-01-27, 6:09 PM #5
There are quite a few torrents floating around, but I'm not posting any...don't want to feel guilty if someone gets a virus.
2005-01-27, 6:10 PM #6
Where did this demo come from? This isn't official because the LEC site still says that the demo is "coming soon." Is this illegal?
2005-01-27, 6:40 PM #7
If this isn't illegal, I'm taking a CD with to class tomorrow and downloading it.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-01-27, 6:44 PM #8
15 minutes left and counting, I don't care if its illegal or not. ;)
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-27, 6:50 PM #9
Pretty cool. I like the revive option if a team menber gets "killed". Your teammates also duck when they cross your line of fire. I like it. It was also nice to have that good old LEC logo and start box.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-01-27, 6:54 PM #10
5 minutes... Hows the AI? Oh, and just as importantly, how does it run? Similar to Tribes: V?
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-27, 7:03 PM #11
It ran better than Enemy Territory, but that isn't saying much. I wasn't too impressed with the enemy AI. Sometimes I would find a baddie just standing about 10 feet from me looking off into the distance. I did get the feeling that "I don't know everything thats going on." Maybe it was the "helmet" or the dark, complex environments. Or maybe it was the way the controls seemed to drag just a bit like a UT200* game. The way Valve games and Quake 3 games don't do. [/random thoughts thrown together]
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-01-27, 7:14 PM #12
Aaaargh, that download link sucks. Three hours remaining.
Stuff
2005-01-27, 7:19 PM #13
I don't care too much about teh SP other than to use it to get a feel for MP. If it plays well online, more like DoD, or CS or AA, I'll be happy.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-27, 7:36 PM #14
The game is designed to be primarily SP...
Moo.
2005-01-27, 7:55 PM #15
I don't have pixel shader 1.1, so I can't play it. :(

I'll just stick to HL2 until I get mt new video card.
2005-01-27, 8:00 PM #16
AA doesn't work, on my 9800 Pro everything disapears and it runs at about 1-2fps. Great game other then that though.
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-27, 8:13 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Trigger Happy Chewie
I don't have pixel shader 1.1, so I can't play it. :(

I'll just stick to HL2 until I get mt new video card.

me neither... i just clicked ok and the game still ran fine... it just looks like crap thats all.
2005-01-27, 9:50 PM #18
I thought it was fun, and that revive feature is very useful. The AI of your squadmates seemed to work pretty well, but the enemy AI wasn't as good; sometimes they would just sit there an stare into space as if nothing was going on. And it seems that it was optimized for consoles, there are loading points every two minutes, not that the load times are long, mind you.
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2005-01-27, 9:53 PM #19
Still three hours remaining.... is anyone actually getting a good download speed?
Stuff
2005-01-27, 10:11 PM #20
I got it in about 15 minutes, but that was when the link first went up
Moo.
2005-01-27, 11:09 PM #21
1 hour remaining... damn finnish expensive connections...
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-28, 12:20 AM #22
I thought it was pretty fun. Didn't look too bad and it ran pretty well on my rig. I agree that the enemy AI was a little spotty, but I liked the snipe/grenade/etc. points that let you deploy your people in various uses.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-28, 12:47 AM #23
Hm, the only thing what bothered me was the HUD. You should be able to modify it more comfortable :rolleyes:

Oh well, gotta try making UED work with the demo.
2005-01-28, 2:28 AM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol
AA doesn't work, on my 9800 Pro everything disapears and it runs at about 1-2fps. Great game other then that though.

did you try in-game AA control panel AA has issues with this game

anyway... you know you want them... i've had these screens uploaded for a few days now

[http://necropimp.home.insightbb.com/rc/01.jpg]
[http://necropimp.home.insightbb.com/rc/02.jpg]
[http://necropimp.home.insightbb.com/rc/03.jpg]
[http://necropimp.home.insightbb.com/rc/04.jpg]
[http://necropimp.home.insightbb.com/rc/05.jpg]
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-28, 3:58 AM #25
I thought it was pretty cool, but the enemy AI is really, really dumb.
It's far too easy to run up to people and stab/whack them. Fun though :)
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-01-28, 6:40 AM #26
Holy (snip) that's one big Wookie!!!
2005-01-28, 6:55 AM #27
.... you might wanna edit that......

This game rocked in my opinion.
2005-01-28, 7:28 AM #28
The walking speed is pretty slow, and the engagement ranges are always pretty short (5-20m) because of the close confined environment. The weapons aren't very powerful, and the projectile speeds are pretty slow. It plays a bit like Halo.

I enjoyed it. The Conc was especially nice as you get a pressure wave that sends them flying and refracts the environment. I also liked the small touches, like the small talk, squaddies throwing thermal detonators back, or checking that the enemies are down either by prodding them, the red one firing a shot to make sure. The helmet clearing the ichor off the screen was nice too, as were the squad commands and interactive points.

I'm actually guardedly looking forward to this.
2005-01-28, 8:25 AM #29
I wasnt too impressed. The squad AI was pretty bad too. That one bacta station outside my team all got stuck on the wall in front of it and I couldnt get them unstuck no matter which command I gave them.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-01-28, 8:38 AM #30
Is this the official demo? I believe there was a demo of this before the link, but on Xbox's KoTOR2.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-28, 9:51 AM #31
Agreed, there is nothing from Lucasarts about the demo being released yet. They still have "Coming Soon" on the website, and no one from Lucasarts has responded on the forums yet to confirm that its the official demo release (Since I was led to believe that LEC was releasing it for PC in Feb)

Just wondering if this really is the official demo
2005-01-28, 10:15 AM #32
*shrugs*

It does have feature-laden "Coming Soon" advertisement splash-screen at the end, so it is atleast a legitimate demo. Then again, there's no sign of this on Blues News or any other news site.

Probably just leaked early. If anyone finds this horribly offensive or reprehensively immoral, then pm an admin to edit my post. It'll just be the same demo upon "official release" anyhow.
2005-01-28, 11:15 AM #33
It looks really good, and I downloaded it but it won't run on my computer even on lowest settings. :( I have a really low end video card.

Is the ATI 9250 any good? It's cheap, and I like that. :p
2005-01-28, 1:49 PM #34
I downloaded it in 15 minutes in class today. God do I love T3 lines.

Unfortunately, Windows XP decided burning it to my CD-RW was a bad idea, and never did it. I tried 6 times. Nothing. Rebooted. Nothing. Redownloaded. Nothing. I hate XP

Screw that computer. I'll wait until Monday and try again in the Labs.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-01-29, 6:21 AM #35
I must be dumb. How do you get this link to work?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-29, 6:28 AM #36
It was pretty fun, I didn't like the numbers displayed on the guns though. It was like Halo with StarWars people.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-29, 6:30 AM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by Echoman
I must be dumb. How do you get this link to work?

Doesn't work anymore.

Oh I just can't wait to start editing it. Gotta do something to that HUD right away.
2005-01-29, 6:31 AM #38
Loved it. IMO it wasn't anything like halo. Loved calling my squaddies in to revive me while surrounded by dumb enemy AI. They just ignore him, then ignore the fact that I'm standing, then (kinda) ignore the fact that there's a nice vibro knife in their head. *shrug* I hope the AI is better in the full version. Either way I'm getting it.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-01-29, 6:41 AM #39
Quote:
Originally posted by FastGamerr
Doesn't work anymore.

Oh I just can't wait to start editing it. Gotta do something to that HUD right away.

Heh.. you can turn off the helmet in options. That was the first thing I did.

The FOV seems really small compared with other games though.. made me feel somewhat closed in.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-01-29, 6:55 AM #40
Holy...

:eek:

Now then, this will be the best SW FPS in a long time. Editingwise and otherwise. Hallelujah!

↑ Up to the top!