Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → 3D Realms stomps Duke Nukem: Source mod
3D Realms stomps Duke Nukem: Source mod
2005-01-28, 6:54 PM #1
Article.

Maybe they were worried that the mod would get out before Duke Nukem: Forever?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-28, 7:04 PM #2
weel, 3drealms still owns the rights to Duke Nukem.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-01-28, 7:05 PM #3
I heard they are making a Source mod THEMSELFS now...

EDIT: Maybe I should cut back on the PCP....
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-01-28, 7:19 PM #4
Intellectual property is bulls***. Stuff made by the community is nearly always superior to stuff made by publishers.

The mod would not have featured any receations of areas from the retail game.
2005-01-28, 7:50 PM #5
Until it's yours that's getting screwed over.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-28, 8:10 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS
Intellectual property is bulls***. Stuff made by the community is nearly always superior to stuff made by publishers.

The mod would not have featured any receations of areas from the retail game.

Uh, no it's not.
2005-01-28, 8:14 PM #7
*saberopus slaps himself upside the face with a wet trout

[/edit]
2005-01-28, 8:16 PM #8
Intellectual property is fine. As long as it's held by the actual people who came up with it, not the publishers!

But there needs to be a limit to it. This perpetual extension of copyright is ridiculous. Some of HP Lovecraft's works are theoretically still under copyright... and he died in 1939. Some of those works that are theoretically under copyright were written DURING PROHIBITION! Yeesh.
2005-01-28, 9:43 PM #9
The copywrite, in that case, is transfered to the estate or family. They family should still benefit from the work if it's still being sold.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-28, 9:48 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
The copywrite, in that case, is transfered to the estate or family. They family should still benefit from the work if it's still being sold.

why? They didn't even do anything. why should they indefinitely leech off of a deceased relative's talent?
2005-01-28, 10:31 PM #11
Quote:

I disagree. I think, instead, they should be out coming up with NEW creative works. That's what copyright is; an incentive for people to create by giving them the excusive right to market said work for a LIMITED period of time.

Up until the 1830s, this period was FOURTEEN YEARS, with the ability to extend that by another fourteen. This seems reasonable to me. But of course, now it's NINETY FIVE, and we can only expect it to grow as Disney's lawyers forever attempt to prevent Mickey from entering the public domain.
2005-01-28, 10:39 PM #12
I know patents work that way, but copywrites don't (they deal with written works). I see your point, but if it worked that way, the publsher would be getting all the money, unles the works became public domain.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-28, 10:58 PM #13
I think the current book and game publishing system is intolerably broken, too.

The publisher can make millions, the author not a dime, and the author can even end up owing the publisher money for the priveledge? What the?

Publishers should not own IP, copyrights, etc. Authors should lease it out to publishers for a FAIR exchange of the profits (like 50%, rather than the 8% or whatever pittance they get currently).
2005-01-28, 11:15 PM #14
Bad news indeed.

However, it would just be better if they'd release recreated Duke3D with DNF. Somewhere in the future. But no.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-28, 11:54 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Pate
The publisher can make millions, the author not a dime, and the author can even end up owing the publisher money for the priveledge? What the?

That's because the publisher fronts the movie for all the distibution costs and the money is pretty much a loan.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-29, 12:18 AM #16
Right, but they can make that money back and still think the author owes them, because the "repaid money" only comes from the 8% royalty the author is given. The other 92% goes straight to the publisher, and the first $50,000 or whatever of the royalties must be paid back to the publisher for the advance.

That means that, for instance, the book needs to make more than half a million dollars before the author sees any money beyond the initial advance.
2005-01-29, 12:47 AM #17
I agree yet again. How dare these media distributors call warezers criminals when the distributors are the ones that are robbing the authors/artists blind?

8% royalty is a joke. If someone did that for my work and kept the rest for themselves, I'd spit in their face. I deserve at least half.
2005-01-29, 1:36 AM #18
Actually the mod was an exact reproduction of every level and weapon
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[

↑ Up to the top!