Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Rubik's Cube
Rubik's Cube
2005-01-28, 8:04 PM #1
I was always turned off by these things because I would make a few twists and get discouraged, but I got a new one for christmas and I have been really addicted ever since. I can now solve it from any position ( I usually let another person scramble it for me) in just a couple minutes and im working every day to try and get my time down. For those who dont know how to do it, its the most impossible and frustrating thing. But once you actually learn how, its incredibly simple.

Anybody else have any experiences with these cubes? Can solve it quick, not patient enough to solve it, or whatever.
2005-01-28, 8:06 PM #2
A friend showed me the trick to solving it, and I still have never been able to do it. I get too frustrated and get rid of it. Not enough patience I guess. :p
Life is beautiful.
2005-01-28, 8:09 PM #3
Easy. You smash the cube to little pieces and reconstruct it in the proper order.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-28, 8:10 PM #4
It's something I've always wanted to be able to do, but I've never had one.
2005-01-28, 8:14 PM #5
I've never been able to do it. :(
Had one since I was like 10, it's been in the hands of dozens of people, no one has been able to solve it. I think mines broken.
2005-01-28, 8:20 PM #6
I still have my old one at home somewhere. I also have a book that tells you how to solve it no matter the position. I never memorized the sequence though.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-28, 8:30 PM #7
I actually solved it when I was younger, WITHOUT using an algorithm. Astounding, because now, even with algorithms (which I no longer remembeR), I can't do it.
一个大西瓜
2005-01-28, 8:48 PM #8
I take it apart and put it back together. It's the cool way.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-01-28, 9:18 PM #9
I have one that I have been fiddleing with. I can do one side very easily, over and over, but havn't been able to go anywhere from there.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-01-28, 9:30 PM #10
Heh, I remember seeing a two-by-two rubik's cube in a movie... I can't remember which movie, but it was pretty funny.

As for the three-by-three ones, I can't solve them, but then again I've never really tried.
Stuff
2005-01-28, 11:49 PM #11
I never had the patience to learn how to do it.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-29, 12:17 AM #12
I just take off the stickers and put them back on in the right order.
2005-01-29, 8:07 AM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Pommy
I actually solved it when I was younger, WITHOUT using an algorithm. Astounding, because now, even with algorithms (which I no longer remembeR), I can't do it.

same.
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2005-01-29, 8:14 AM #14
Happydud is really good at rubik's cubes... he showed us when he came to visit RIT. He can do it in under 2 minutes or something like that...
2005-01-29, 2:07 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by kyle90
Heh, I remember seeing a two-by-two rubik's cube in a movie... I can't remember which movie, but it was pretty funny.

As for the three-by-three ones, I can't solve them, but then again I've never really tried.

THe 2x2 ones are harder than the 3x3 ones. I have a 2x2 one and I cant solve it for ****, 3x3 are so much easier.
2005-01-29, 2:26 PM #16
It's true. My best time is :58 seconds. Though I'll admit, that was a fluke. I average around 1:08.

Now, I'm not calling any of you liars, because it IS possible to solve it without patterns and what not.. but I do have a few statistical facts that cause me to look at those who say "I solved it all by myself without any patterns or anything!" skeptically.

Eh-che-chem.

There are a total of 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 possible combinations.

You could make one turn every second, and without knowing what you were doing after 10 BILLION years, you'd only have a 63% chance of having it solved.

The chances of someone solving it without knowing what they are doing are slimmer than slim...

[http://www.zaccohn.com/pics/cubetower.jpg]

Me with my cube, and two of my friend's. I currently own a 3x3x3 and this one neat 3x3x3 combined with another. (Hard to describe) I ordered a 4x4x4, and it should be coming in this week. A 5x5x5 is on the horizon as well.

And Dash- Actually... the 2x2 is EXACTLY the same as the 3x3, it actually requires less steps.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-01-29, 3:20 PM #17
I question your calculations.

I've solved a 3x3x3 a few times, without consciously using any pattern or algorithm. Yes, it took me several hours, and I have no hope of ever getting it down to a matter of minutes, but I don't think it's as improbable as you calculated.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-29, 3:24 PM #18
I doubt your's were random spins.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-01-29, 6:00 PM #19
Well, I don't think I was using any particular method, that I was aware of..
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-30, 3:27 AM #20
Those things bored the hell out of me.
I do remember seeing a video of a rubicks cube champion thuogh (apparently there has been tournaments and everything) and he did it so fast all you could see was a breif blur of hands.
I wonder if the video is floating around on the net.
You can't judge a book by it's file size

↑ Up to the top!