Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Hmmm... I might want to invest some actual money in Anti-Virus software...
Hmmm... I might want to invest some actual money in Anti-Virus software...
2005-01-28, 8:51 PM #1
Yeah, so I just had to format my brothers laptop cause it had a virus on it. Luckily, it didn't have anything important on it that had to be saved.

So while doing this I got worried I might've been infected over the network, and I go in search of an anti-virus roundup. Found a good free program that got about 85% in detection rate, and it found a single trojan on my system. Never thought I would have a trojan. I barely use E-mail, or surf to a lot of unknown sites.

Decided to do the same on the family computer, and it found 7 viruses/trojans, but that's not a BIG surprise, all it's users are average or below-average as far as internet usage knowledge.

Seems I might want to actually pay for a package if this keeps up.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2005-01-28, 9:14 PM #2
I use AVG...it hasn't failed me yet (that I know of, anyway).
woot!
2005-01-28, 9:15 PM #3
Yes, AVG is very very good, I have heard it does as good as Nortan.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-01-28, 9:17 PM #4
I used to use anti-virus religiously, but now I rarely scan. Once every few months maybe. Otherwise, I use Linux.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-28, 9:19 PM #5
I use Norton SystemWorks and Anti-Virus 2004.

Neither program in any version has ever failed me.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-01-28, 9:20 PM #6
I use AVG. Supposedly Antivir is good too (haven't gotten around to trying it tho).

2005-01-28, 9:21 PM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by CadetLee
I use AVG...it hasn't failed me yet (that I know of, anyway).
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-01-28, 9:30 PM #8
The roundup I read tested AVG as well, but according to them, scored very low in detection rate. Actually, the lowest of all the programs tested.

Here's the link: http://www.schadentech.com/Reviews/Antivirus/antivirus_roundup.htm
2005-01-28, 9:33 PM #9
While were on this subject, does Firefox have better security against webpage based viruses/trojans than IE?
2005-01-28, 9:40 PM #10
I used to use Norton 2004, but when I found out that it was the reason my computer was running so darn slow right from startup, I switched to AVG.

I've never actually had a virus (that I know of, anyway) but I just enjoy knowing that I'm protected...to some degree.
2005-01-28, 9:41 PM #11
AVG
Pissed Off?
2005-01-28, 9:51 PM #12
Norton sucks hardcore. It's been compromised tons of times by viruses. Not only that, but you don't even know it when it happens.

PC-Cillin is by far the single best AV tool out there. AVG is decent...for free...but PC-Cillin spanks it and Norton.

Norton is seriously a joke.
D E A T H
2005-01-28, 9:54 PM #13
I'll believe it when it happens to me. Until then, it works, and always has worked, flawlessly.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2005-01-29, 12:44 AM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by JudgeDredd
While were on this subject, does Firefox have better security against webpage based viruses/trojans than IE?

Yes and no. It probably deosnt, but it is different from IE (duh) and thus the stuff that is written for IE will not work on firefox. And since 90% of the world uses IE, who would write stuff for Firefox?

I have used VET for a while now, and love it to death. It sits there, it does its job, it whinges only when it needs too, it desont take up much memory, and is a fantastic product.

And its Australian :D

[url]www.vet.com.au[/url]
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2005-01-29, 1:04 AM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
Norton sucks hardcore. It's been compromised tons of times by viruses. Not only that, but you don't even know it when it happens.

PC-Cillin is by far the single best AV tool out there. AVG is decent...for free...but PC-Cillin spanks it and Norton.

Norton is seriously a joke.

This of course explains why norton is one of the largest pc maintainance software companies in the world.... :confused:
>>untie shoes
2005-01-29, 2:58 AM #16
Where is the option "No, I have a brain and know how to secure my computer"?

And Norton is so successfull (sp?) because it has a good reputation from the past. That's why Symantec keeps calling the programs Norton.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-01-29, 2:58 AM #17
I use F-Secure AV, and it's doing fine, as far as I know. And the best part is I get it free of charge from the university. Consequently, I have never used any other AV software.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-29, 3:44 AM #18
I use grisoft AVG, and I find it to be very effective and free. :p
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2005-01-29, 3:53 AM #19
What do you mean with effective?
It gives out (positive) warnings regularly?
2005-01-29, 7:27 AM #20
i chose option 3. although i feel i do alot that may warrant it.
i run a firewall, firefox and thunderbird (eudora for 6 months before that). i haven't had a virus in a year (i use housecall.trendmicro.com once every couple of months).
Darth Keyene (my ex as some of you may remember) has gotten loads of them in the same time period. so much so that she doesn't use her computer anymore at all. she uses mine.

and firefox is an effective tool against getting web based viruses and spyware.
in MS's attempt to make browsing more seemlessly interactive and bundled, they have allowed scripts to run without you knowing, without asking you. a nice idea until some ******** exploits it.
so firefox being the dumbed down browser won't let scripts run without you knowing about it. therefore you get fewer viruses and less spy/adware just by using it.
same goes for thunderbird v. outlook.
2005-01-29, 8:11 AM #21
I use AVG. Never found a single virus on my system.

So either it's working really well, or not at all...
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-01-29, 8:54 AM #22
AVG has kept me perfectly safe. And if it isn't the best program, it really doesn't matter, because I don't see, hear, or am effected by any virus' to date, and as long as I can't see or hear it, I really don't care.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-29, 9:51 AM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Impi
Where is the option "No, I have a brain and know how to secure my computer"?

And Norton is so successfull (sp?) because it has a good reputation from the past. That's why Symantec keeps calling the programs Norton.

Yeah, basically that, Bill.

Phoenix--thing is you don't know if it's happened to you. You have to use some external scanner to find out.

Spork--if you want to see, go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com That's the home of the PC-Cillin maker's free virus scanner. I say it's about as good, but it doesn't have anywhere near the features of PC-Cillin, which if you're willing to pay for your scanner, you should go for.
D E A T H
2005-01-29, 9:56 AM #24
Quote:

Not anymore, the latest IE is totally secured up. The big 'thing' about IE before was ActiveX.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-29, 10:14 AM #25
Norton SystemWorks 2003 on eBay for $5 + $5 shipping. WIll last you one year after you install it, then once it expires you just get Norton 2004 for another $10. $10 a year is a pretty good deal IMO.
GOOGLE FIND THESE SITES PLEASE KTHXBYE
http://www.stevebcartoons.com
http://www.kingcola.com
2005-01-29, 10:58 AM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by SithNazgul
And its Australian :D

That just makes or breaks the program, doesn't it? :p

Meh, three firewalls, safe browsing/email habits, etc. all make for a virus free computer.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-01-29, 11:50 AM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
Phoenix--thing is you don't know if it's happened to you. You have to use some external scanner to find out.

There are 5 other computers on our household network. I'm pretty damned sure I'd find out reasonably fast if someone had contracted a virus. Add into that that my definitions are updated every 2 to 3 days, and the fact that I'm a pretty damned safe Internet user, I think it's safe to say that I'm reasonably secure. The only way to get more secure would be to use 5 different Anti-Virus scanners + Firewalls, use OSX or Linux, or simply never touch a computer ever again.
Last Stand
2005-01-29, 12:23 PM #28
Quote:
Originally posted by Nightwind
Meh, three firewalls, safe browsing/email habits, etc. all make for a virus free computer.

Only three firewalls?!?! You need at least five to be safe!!!!!!!!111111111oneoneone

[/sarcasm]
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-01-29, 3:42 PM #29
Missing option: "I run a non-Windows platform, and therefore have no need for anti-virus software"
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-01-29, 7:15 PM #30
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
Missing option: "I run a non-Windows platform, and therefore have no need for anti-virus software"

That's because it's a stupid option. It should read:

I run a non-windows operating system, and believe that there are no viruses or worms that could possibly affect my operating system. I realize that this is totally ignorant, but I stick by my decision.

(There are worms for many Linux distros out there, and a few of em have taken down some websites already.)

And Mort-Hog: "Not anymore, the latest IE is totally secured up. The big 'thing' about IE before was ActiveX."

Oh, it's not secured up. Not by a long shot. Otherwise, there wouldn't be 3+ patches to IE a month still. And ActiveX is still around, it's just not as easy to exploit. The problems are still there, however.

↑ Up to the top!