Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Iraqi Elections
Iraqi Elections
2005-01-28, 10:51 PM #1
I'm an atheist. I don't believe in God, so I sure as **** don't pray. But early Sunday, Iraqi time, for the first time in their history, Iraqis - Shias, Kurds, and even a few astoundingly brave Sunnis, are going to the polls to vote for the future of their fractured country. They're trying something new, so so will I. I hope to God it it less violent than expected and goes better than planned, and is the beginning of a future for Iraq that is far brighter than even the most optimistic among us could ever have dreamt.

I ask that people don't argue about the war in this therad. In fact, I'm gonna make this clear - if you start a debate in this thread about the merits of the invasion or the occupation, I'll ban you. Flat out. Start another thead, if you *have* to. Instead, offer your hopes and, if you are so inclined, your prayers for the Iraqi people as they try something new - a feat in itself, but most especially now because as they face the prospect of a democratic future, they are also threatened with the bombs and bullets of terrorists-cum-tyrants.

Insha'allah - god willing!
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2005-01-28, 10:53 PM #2
Hopefully it'll work.
2005-01-28, 10:55 PM #3
It's been a long time coming. I can hope, but Sine has had too much influence on me so no prayers from me. I'm not as holy as I used to (claim to) be.
2005-01-28, 10:57 PM #4
I'm hoping for the best.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-28, 11:01 PM #5
I'd like it to work, but I just don't think it will. Disregarding the merits of the occupation, I just don't think it has been executed well enough to leave me confident of the elections going off without some sort of major hitch either at the time or as a result.
2005-01-28, 11:18 PM #6
I hate to say it, but I see a massive amount of suicide bomber + polling station incidents. It'd be nice if they would just realize that they got owned, and deal with it. The Americans aren't leave, and it's going to be a democracy, not a tyranny, so get over it.
2005-01-29, 12:48 AM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikus
I hate to say it, but I see a massive amount of suicide bomber + polling station incidents. It'd be nice if they would just realize that they got owned, and deal with it. The Americans aren't leave, and it's going to be a democracy, not a tyranny, so get over it.

Sentence 1... opposite of sentences 2 and 3... does not compute....

*explodes*
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-29, 12:57 AM #8
Here's hoping for the best
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-01-29, 1:02 AM #9
It would be really great if it went off without a hitch, that way we could leave those people alone and let them decide how to run their own country.

I think they have the right to choose how to be ruled, and if they choose a method different than the United States, then so be it.
>>untie shoes
2005-01-29, 4:19 AM #10
I doubt this will work out too well, but if it ever does, it'll take time. They can't expect to completely change the system in the course of a year and have everybody functionning as if it had always been a democracy. Give it a few years at least. People need to adapt.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-01-29, 5:39 AM #11
Important things to remember is this is all preliminary. This is about forming a government. Terrorist attacks will be intense but I believe that will just inspire more turnout. Most Iraqis feel the same way about the terrorist scumbags as most of us do. We've also seen great success as of late in capturing some of the top terrorists there so I can only hope that we get the top dog soon. I feel so happy for the future of the Iraqi people right now.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-01-29, 5:55 AM #12
:)
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-01-29, 7:21 AM #13
well for the first time in about 3 years i have to agree with you Sine.
my only fear is that when the occupying forces leave, future elections will go the way of other mid-east governments. and we know they don't know much about human rights.

i just hope this exercise, no matter how anyone sees it, has some kind of positive effect on iraqis and the middle east.
2005-01-29, 8:20 AM #14
God bless those who are willing to risk their lives in order to put this through, both Iraqi and Coalition.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-29, 9:06 AM #15
Sine, I hope your new experience works out for the best :). God bless Iraq and vice versa.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-01-29, 10:23 AM #16
Quote:

Can I quote you on this on Monday? :D
2005-01-29, 10:28 AM #17
i really hope it runs smoothly and iraq works out as a workable state, it'll suck if the place just falls to anarchy for the foreseeable future.
2005-01-29, 10:40 AM #18
It's yet to be seen whether it'll work, but I'm hoping for the best. Here's to better, brighter times in Iraq. :)
The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed...
2005-01-29, 11:17 AM #19
Hopefully everything will go well, otherwise that war and all of our casaulties were all for nothing.
2005-01-29, 8:25 PM #20
I am taping it.

We have a number of tapes that are able to be taped over.

I am taping because the chance of a major incident happening is fifty fifty if not greater than the chance of a major incident not happening.

I just want to be able to see how everything plays out if it does as it could happen at any time and seeing something liek that as it happened is much different than watching revisions of that event.

[/pessismistic rant thing]
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-01-29, 9:23 PM #21
They're voting. al-hamdu'mother****ing'llah.

I don't know, I sit here in my nice little chair so I feel a little weird when I try to consider what's going through their minds, but I can't help but feel an incredibly great feeling knowing that people who just three years ago would be tortured and killed for even dissenting are now being given a say in their government...however flawed it may be. Massassi's really not the place for sappy rhetoric, but I have to say we are living in an incredibly profound time. I'll remember this, drunk as I am, for as long as I live.

... glossary: al-hamdu'llah - praise be to god

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2005-01-29, 9:51 PM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomen

Huh?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-01-29, 9:56 PM #23
sine did say he is drink.

;)
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-01-29, 10:03 PM #24
Quote:
I'm an atheist. I don't believe in God, s....

Quote:
I hope to God ....

Do I sence some contradiction here? ;)

Anyhow, I think it's a wonderful thing that they can vote foronce, and choose their own government, but I know this right to vote is going to be bought with some bloodshed. I don't know that we could ever stop everyone that wanted to try to deter people from voting. I suppose I agree with whoever it was that said in another thread that we have to suffer some to acquire democracy.
This should atleast be a good first step to creating an independent iraq.
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing
(a work in progress)
2005-01-29, 10:31 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralRamos
Do I sence some contradiction here? ;)

Read his post:

Quote:
Posted by Sine:
"...They're trying something new, so so will I. I hope to God it it..."

I'm more worried about the outcome of the elections, and if it will truely be representative of the people of Iraq than the actual election. Don't get me wrong though! Iraq having elections is a fantastic thing.

Hope it goes/is going well, and stays that way.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-01-29, 10:33 PM #26
I don't know Arabic like you, but I sure hope it works out. Too much is at stake.
2005-01-30, 12:12 AM #27
Quote:

I don't know, I sit here in my nice little chair so I feel a little weird when I try to consider what's going through their minds, but I can't help but feel an incredibly great feeling knowing that people who just three years ago would be tortured and killed for even dissenting are now being given a say in their government...however flawed it may be. Massassi's really not the place for sappy rhetoric, but I have to say we are living in an incredibly profound time. I'll remember this, drunk as I am, for as long as I live.

... glossary: al-hamdu'llah - praise be to god

Mr. Sine. I raise my glass to the future of Iraq and the middle-east.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-01-30, 7:02 AM #28
Quote:

you guys know my stance on the invasion so this is even more contradictory for me in a way.
i was driving home this morning and kurds were being interviewed on the cbc. they were soooooo happy to be voting that i couldn't help but smile and be happy for them.
2005-01-30, 7:17 AM #29
72% of the eligble voters turned out. The most in American History? 63%. What the Iraqi's did today was something very special, I neve expected the elections to go as well they did. This is incredibly exciting, and a good sign for the future.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-01-30, 10:43 AM #30
What time is it there? Is the voting over?
2005-01-30, 12:18 PM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by Nubs
72% of the eligble voters turned out. The most in American History? 63%. What the Iraqi's did today was something very special, I neve expected the elections to go as well they did. This is incredibly exciting, and a good sign for the future.

:)
2005-01-30, 1:34 PM #32
Quote:

The pessimist was owned! :D Next time you let politics influence your predictions, don't make a prediction about something that will happen a few days away. Give it some safety time like, say 10 or 20 years. By then every one will have forgotten you said it.
2005-01-30, 2:20 PM #33
Today is a good day. :) I need to get one of these:

[http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/66/Iraq_flag_large.png]

art
2005-01-30, 2:28 PM #34
What do the two symbols translate to?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-01-30, 2:35 PM #35
God is Great.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-30, 2:44 PM #36
Quote:
I ask that people don't argue about the war in this therad. In fact, I'm gonna make this clear - if you start a debate in this thread about the merits of the invasion or the occupation, I'll ban you. Flat out.

Ahh, a good ol' fashoned thread about the greatness of democracy and freedom that limits it at the same time.
Aquapark - Untitled JK Arena Level - Prism CTF
2005-01-30, 2:52 PM #37
because he can.
2005-01-30, 2:55 PM #38
Quote:
Originally posted by Zojombize
Ahh, a good ol' fashoned thread about the greatness of democracy and freedom that limits it at the same time.

No, by all means you can say whatever you want, but be prepared for the consequences.
2005-01-30, 2:57 PM #39
Quote:
Originally posted by tofu
No, by all means you can say whatever you want, but be prepared for the consequences.

Yeah, because you know in the consitution you have freedom of speech, but they can have you executed if they don't like it :rolleyes:
2005-01-30, 3:47 PM #40
All the reports I've heard so far seem to be mostly positive. What a relief. :)

↑ Up to the top!