Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → cbc gets o'reilly's attention
cbc gets o'reilly's attention
2005-01-29, 2:44 PM #1
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/01/29/oreilly050129.html

haha!!! o'reilly, the most rancid guy on tv, is hurt by the cbc's fifth estate documentary on fox's fair and balanced claim to reporting.
in one instance, o'reilly states that [insert french newspaper name here] states that France has lost billions in trade with the US and that Canada can expect the same with the so-called boycott of Canadian trade.
funny thing is, at the time o'reilly made this claim, US/France trade relations had actually improved greatly since the war started. and there is no such newspaper that he quoted from.
they also showed clips of him making claims that were 'bald face lies'. every other news media source in the US made claims of the exact opposite.

i watched the documentary. it was good.
80% of people polled in the US that claim fox as their number one news source believe one or more of the following;
1 - that the rest of the world supported the US led invasion
2 - that the US did find the wmd's they were looking for
3 - [sorry i can't remember the other thing but it was reported on every other major news media program in the US to be the exact opposite as was 1 and 2.]

poor bill. what a dick.
2005-01-29, 2:51 PM #2
I call for re-election!!!
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-29, 2:51 PM #3
I don't think Americans can really believe statement number 1, even if they wanted to.

I'd like to see that statistic broken down as to which statement that actually believed in. Lumping them together just seems like a quick way to make a sensationalist statistic. Statement number 2 is more understandable, especially depending on exactly what they were asked.

In Britain, we had a recent documentary called 'The power of nightmares' essentially parallelling the rise in popularity of fundementalist Islam in the Middle-East with the rise in popularity of fundementalist Christianity in America and the subsequent support for neo-conservatives. It was really reallly bad.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-01-29, 2:57 PM #4
true. but guy's like o'reilly and colter will spin any find of any weapon to make it sound like the found what they were looking for. even if it was ude's slingshot from his youth.

i'm looking for that 3rd statement but can't find it. >:(
2005-01-29, 2:59 PM #5
Quote:
CBC refused an invitation to appear on O'Reilly's show Friday night, and O'Reilly refused to be interviewed for the Fifth Estate broadcast because he was busy on the phone.

>.>
<.<

/runs
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-29, 3:03 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Evad
true. but guy's like o'reilly and colter will spin any find of any weapon to make it sound like the found what they were looking for. even if it was ude's slingshot from his youth.

i'm looking for that 3rd statement but can't find it. >:(

Everyone spins everything
Pissed Off?
2005-01-29, 3:03 PM #7
Quote:

Yes, they probably can, but Americans aren't idiots, and even if O'Reilly and Coulter make some up some nonsense, then there'll be plenty of other people and other news organisations to counter that, so they effect they have should be cancelled out.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2005-01-29, 3:13 PM #8
but when bird of a feather flock together they may not get the other side (true or spun).
i've guilty of that. i used to take what my co-worker said as truth because most of what he told me was well researched. then i found through my own research that ~25% of what he was telling me was spun by the liberal media.
2005-01-29, 3:15 PM #9
..heh. liberal media.
2005-01-29, 3:22 PM #10
I find it ironic how the CBC is commenting on fair and balanced reporting. They are just as bad as FOX, only they swing in the complete opposite direction. They are rabid liberals instead of rabid Conservatives.
The top ten times in history when using the "F" word
was appropriate.....
10) "What the *&%# was that?" -Mayor of Hiroshima - August 1945
9) "Where did all these *&%#ing Indians come from?" - Custer 1877
8) "Any *&%#ing idiot could understand that." - Einstein 1938
7) "It does SO *&%#ing look like her!" - Picasso 1926
6) "How the *&%# did you work that out?" - Pythagoras 126 BC
5) "You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo 1566
4) "I don't suppose it's gonna *&%#ing rain." - Joan of Arc 1434
3) "Scattered *&%#ing showers...my a$$!" - Noah 2114 BC
2) "I need this parade like I need a *&%#ing hole in my head!" -
JFK 1963
1) "Aw c'mon, who the *&%# is going to find out?" - Bill Clinton 1997
2005-01-29, 3:26 PM #11
hey!! what'd you say about the cbc? why i oughtta...

they are as liberal as they come. that's one of the biggest reasons i listen 5 hours a day. :p
2005-01-29, 7:26 PM #12
I used to watch O'Reilly even though I didn't agree with everything, but then a few days ago he was talking to a black journalist(I can't remember which paper, or maybe this was the ACLU guy), but the journalist brought up O'Reilly calling Barbara Boxer a nut(which she is) when O'reilly said attacking someone instead of their opinion is wrong. I had heard him say this, and his subsequent vehement denials and calling the guy a fraud when the journalist wasn't doing anything outrageous(at least at the moment) turned me off to him.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-01-30, 3:05 AM #13
Quote:
when O'reilly said attacking someone instead of their opinion is wrong

This is one thing I utterly agree with, and is something I really can't stand about American politics generally - how it's all centered around the person and not the politics. Elections seem to be more like a reality TV programme than anything.
2005-01-30, 3:47 AM #14
I'm fairly liberal and I consider O'Reilly to be quite entertaining. He's a bit egotistical (at least his television persona), but I find him likable, and he's done some great interviews. No one is perfect, and it's easy for the CBC to point out the negative, but they fail to mention that 90% of his show is quite enjoyable. However, "Fair and Balanced" is BS, regardless of what channel says it, but as we all know, many people are swayed by such a statement, just because they heard it on television. OMG...Fair and Balanced...it's on the news, so it must be true!

I had honestly never heard of the CBC before you posted that article. I get most of my news from Newsworld Inernational, which I'm quite fond of.
2005-01-30, 11:34 AM #15
No one is compleatly fair and balanced. It's not even possible unless you are totally apathetic about everything.

↑ Up to the top!