Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I'm back! What did I miss? (And I've got an MSN/Word problem)
I'm back! What did I miss? (And I've got an MSN/Word problem)
2005-01-31, 3:26 PM #1
Well hey everybody, I'm back after a long spell away - it has been a busy life I tell you, and I can't go through it all now but hey it'll filter through somehow.

Anyways I was wondering if you could help, I've got this crazy bug between MSN and Word, whereby when I'm in word a contact will sign in and a notification comes up. Then as the notification goes down it leaves all ghosting trails and freezes Word.

This is very annoying for someone like me who makes a bad habit of not saving work but is connected to the Internet nearly all the time.

Please help!

(And PS, what have I missed?)
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2005-01-31, 3:27 PM #2
Welcome back.

I don't know how to solve your issue, but video drivers seems like the most obvious suggestion. I used to have the same problem with CS - when someone logged on, I could see through walls. That was neat.
2005-01-31, 3:48 PM #3
ok, this seems to happening to me too. I'm not using Word, but everytime someone signs into msn my comp freezes up for a few seconds.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2005-01-31, 3:52 PM #4
turn off notifications?

wb
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-01-31, 3:54 PM #5
Welcome back. Be sure to check out the ban list thread.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-31, 4:19 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Genki
turn off notifications?

wb

yeah thats waht i did when i had that problem.. a few weeks later i enabled it again out of need and it was fixed =\
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2005-01-31, 6:49 PM #7
Another fine reason to use Trillian or another form of Messenger program.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-01-31, 7:37 PM #8
Doesn't Trillian do the same thing? (Show notifications)
2005-01-31, 7:39 PM #9
The only difference is that trillian's notifications don't hog memory. Seriously, with MSN, my notifications would literally halt all PC activity. Trillian, on the other hand, doesn't effect any of my games, and I don't even notice it when using high-stress programs like modeling etc.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-31, 7:39 PM #10
AbiWord is good.

Long time no see. Missed your bit of sanity around here. You missed the mass bannings.
D E A T H
2005-01-31, 8:29 PM #11
[Inset gbk Kopete and Cool Matty Gaim plug here]
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-01-31, 8:36 PM #12
OpenOffice + Kopete = teh Win

Welcome back dude! :)
2005-01-31, 9:00 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by MechWarrior
Doesn't Trillian do the same thing? (Show notifications)

I tried Trillian 3. I hated it. It was more different than what I was used to. I still use Trillian .75 or somesuch at home. The only place I use Trillian 3 is at school in the labs. Just so people can reach me.

Anyways... I don't have notifications like that at all. I can setup Trillian to make a noise or something when a person logs in, which I disable considering the sizes of my lists, or I can set up alerts for specific people. I have at least 10 of those. Four are for people I hardly see on and like to talk to when they do get on. The alert just plays a sound of my choosing. I like that alot more than a stupid little box that says "Blank just logged on..."
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-02-02, 2:02 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
Long time no see. Missed your bit of sanity around here. You missed the mass bannings.

Erm... sanity... yes... :rolleyes: :)
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets

↑ Up to the top!