Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Face of Mankind open Beta
Face of Mankind open Beta
2005-01-31, 4:00 PM #1
Saw this posted at PA, and I always blindly sign-up for anything marked "open beta". [url]www.fomportal.com[/url] It's kind of slow right now with the launch...

Overall an interesting concept, hopefully it won't be messed up though.

"Face of Mankind is a Massively Multiplayer Online RolePlaying Game (MMORPG) in a persistent world. You will control a single character in the science fiction game-world. It will be available on CD-ROM or for download in 2004. Once installed on your PC you will have access to an ever changing game-world via your internet connection. Thousands of players throughout the game world co-operate, compete or co-exist in a realistic and futuristic world of the 24th century.

The plot is constantly evolving, with new missions created constantly. The skill and luck of the players from rival factions change the balance of power. Highly ranked players create missions which are split and handed down through the hierarchy. The objective of the game is to evolve your character to its ultimate potential, whether that is the accumulation of wealth, power, social status or all three.

About Face of Mankind
Face of Mankind is not a typical RPG: the most important difference is that you are the game. Your actions will affect the next available tactical decision for you and your fellow players. Your actions will affect the economic system. Your actions will determine the balance of power each and every second.

You have control over an intuitive First Person Shooter style interface. The cutting edge graphics engine will present a world of five huge cities on earth, 20 colonies in outer space and two special places.

Choose to join one of ten organizations. Be a soldier for the F.D.C. or a law enforcer of the L.E.D.. Fight for right and order, climb to higher ranks! Decide to be a clan member and find your way beyond the law! Or join one of the companies as a trader, miner or producer to control the complex economic system.

What ever path you chose, Face of Mankind will continue to evolve. You are only one player among many, but you can change the world. Your destiny demands it."
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-01-31, 4:20 PM #2
THIS looks promising. signed up. The visuals look bad from what I've seen so far, but that's excusable if it's everything it claims it is.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-31, 4:24 PM #3
I can't see this being very popular at all. I mean I have never heard of it till now. I think the main reason is lack of advertising. I don't see all the WoW, DaoC, L2, FFXI, CoH, etc... players rushing to this. There are 100 too many MMORPG's already out, we don't need more, atleast not for a while. Even if the game is good, I just can't see it doing well.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-31, 4:24 PM #4
Indeed, I'm much less concerned with graphics anyways because I couldn't run it if they looked much better...probably.

64 minutes left till my dl is finished...slow dsl connection. (Wow, I remember back when I would have slapped myself for saying that...)
</sarcasm>
2005-01-31, 4:27 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Compos Mentis
Indeed, I'm much less concerned with graphics anyways because I couldn't run it if they looked much better...probably.

64 minutes left till my dl is finished...slow dsl connection. (Wow, I remember back when I would have slapped myself for saying that...)

How long did it take till they accepted you? I'd love to DL the game ASAP.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-01-31, 4:50 PM #6
It's pretty much immediate acceptance because of the low-hype. Technically, I started dling it before I even signed up ....
http://www.gamershell.com/download_8171.shtml
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=6198&v=1
http://www.pexgames.com/filebase/?act=file_info&id=26234
http://download.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=7246
mirrors, just jacked from the PA thread.
</sarcasm>
2005-01-31, 5:43 PM #7
I am installing right now, some of the pics in the backround during installation are getting me really exciting about playing. The sub-par graphics almost make me want to play it more, for some reason. Like Deus Ex.
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2005-01-31, 5:44 PM #8
Mine's installing too!
I heard there's no tutorial yet, so be prepared for a difficult beginning. Also, I'm not sure how populated the servers are....
</sarcasm>
2005-01-31, 5:45 PM #9
Also, a note for accounts. The one you sign up for on the main fomportal.com page isn't an ingame account. You have to sign up for that, login, then click "account settings". Once in there, there's a button on the right side that says "Sign up for beta account", then you're in :)
</sarcasm>
2005-01-31, 7:47 PM #10
Interesting. If the player made mission idea actually works that would be great for my Mafia idea for a MMORPG.
2005-01-31, 7:57 PM #11
I was playing for a bit, but couldn't really figure out what to do without a tutorial. Maybe I can get some help once the forums are back up...
</sarcasm>
2005-01-31, 9:19 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Compos Mentis
Also, a note for accounts. The one you sign up for on the main fomportal.com page isn't an ingame account. You have to sign up for that, login, then click "account settings". Once in there, there's a button on the right side that says "Sign up for beta account", then you're in :)

I love you, I got pissed off for a while there that it couldn't get my username, thank you so much.
2005-01-31, 10:06 PM #13
Okay, I played a while, and I personally really enjoyed it. After I found my way to the options menu, and learned and changed the controls to my likeing (I couldn't stand having to press the arrow keys to move, I NEEDED my w,a,s,d set-uo.)
i could move around and check some stuff out. It looks pretty cool, the graphics are lacking, but not terriable. I really really liked the HUD. I kinda felt like I was playing a Deus Ex MMO. So I walked around, went to NYC, walked around a bit, thenI got kicked off because I lost my connection to the server.

I am having fun, but then again, I really havn't played any other MMO.

(BTW, I am BurrBoy(ooooo, original) and am currently in NYC.)
2005-01-31, 10:29 PM #14
It looks intriguing, so I'm giving it a whirl. Once I have it downloaded and ready to go, I'll be Aarius. I'm not sure what faction I want yet. The mercenaries have a certain appeal...
2005-02-01, 12:18 AM #15
Anyone want to burn this to a CD and mail it to me? :P
2005-02-01, 10:23 AM #16
Looking forward to playing this.

o.0
2005-02-01, 10:27 AM #17
Theres a bug where you can't finish creating your character, so I'm screwed until they fix that.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-02-01, 10:58 AM #18
Yeah, it seems like you can't finish creating your character, but if you log out and check again, he's probably there. I checked online after a few frustrating minutes of clicking the "finished" button, and it had him registered
2005-02-01, 6:38 PM #19
Argh! I was just killed by a group of thieves at Booker's Valley. My ammo was stolen, and I am barely alive after being cloned. I had just got the hang of using weapons too.

I want them to pay:mad: Anyone feel like storming the place sometime? I think it's always a hotspot

↑ Up to the top!