Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Call of Duty & UO?
Call of Duty & UO?
2005-01-31, 5:04 PM #1
I just finished the SP campaign in CoD...and it was by far the greatest gaming experience of my life. I didn't even mind that it was short, as I had such an engaging experience the whole time...I was thrilled to see everything come to a close.

I'm gonna go through again on the harder difficulties, but I was wondering about the expansion. I'm not concerned about MP at all, just the SP. Can I expect the same sort of totally engrossing experience I had with this?
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-01-31, 5:06 PM #2
I heard it sucked, but I haven't played it.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-31, 5:12 PM #3
i AGREE with your take on CoD SP. It was amazing. However, after watching Band of Brothers over the past few weeks, I loaded up the SP to play and it just didn't measure up... despite the fact that it was a game, not a DVD. It was still compelling, just not as emotional or personal as BoB is.

god BoB rocks. everyone, watch it.
2005-01-31, 5:13 PM #4
Yeah, I've heard from both sides. If you state your opinion, anyone, I'd love to hear why you thought that so I have more than just "it sucks" or "it rocks" to go with.
</sarcasm>
2005-01-31, 5:14 PM #5
ROFL My mom is watching it right next to me :p (BoB that is)
Think while it's still legal.
2005-01-31, 5:14 PM #6
Isn't that new WWII game, Brother in Arms I think that's what it's called, suppose to be more like bands of brothers?
2005-01-31, 5:14 PM #7
I play the original CoD multiplayer like an addict. I have UO, but the multiplayer sucks (basically enhanced BF1942) and I never played the singleplayer. My clanmates said it was good though.
2005-01-31, 5:15 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by saberopus
i AGREE with your take on CoD SP. It was amazing. However, after watching Band of Brothers over the past few weeks, I loaded up the SP to play and it just didn't measure up... despite the fact that it was a game, not a DVD. It was still compelling, just not as emotional or personal as BoB is.

haven't been able to see it because the video store is always rented out and I don't know anyone who has it. Once I get some spare cash I intend on buying it, though. I've only heard great things about it.
</sarcasm>
2005-01-31, 5:33 PM #9
Also, I downloaded a mod called "Beyond the call of duty" supposed to add more realistic damage/effects and stuff. Even removes the compass and most of your display (minus the health bar). I'll probably run through it again with this mod, since I love realistic sims and I know where all the objectives are anyways.
</sarcasm>
2005-01-31, 5:34 PM #10
I played the demo and it was nuts (101st Airborne durring the Bulge) and it was freaking nuts! In a good way.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-31, 5:43 PM #11
This game is the first I've played that justified my acquisition of a 4.1 surround sound. Even though I could only run it on EAX, it was the most intense...loud...aural experience ever. I can't say enough about how awesome the sound and music is...The first mission of the russian campaign almost made me piss my pants and cry at the same time.
</sarcasm>
2005-01-31, 6:14 PM #12
I didn't like UO at all, you can read why here:
http://forums.massassi.net/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28812
2005-01-31, 6:19 PM #13
I liked UO, but it was a bit over the top, utterly manic even. It never calmed down, and you were constantly thrown into different action sequences without being given a chance to pull yourself together since the last one. Probably a game best played in shorts bursts.

[edit: I just realised that I said the exact same thing in Brian's thread.]
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-01-31, 6:26 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger
I played the demo and it was nuts (101st Airborne durring the Bulge) and it was freaking nuts! In a good way.

Brothers at Arms or CoD?
2005-01-31, 6:27 PM #15
The only advantage that UO had over CoD was that your squad mates didnt die after 30 seconds when you played the british and especially the russian campaigns.
2005-01-31, 6:41 PM #16
Quote:
Brothers at Arms or CoD?

CoD:UO the demo is the first level from the full version
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-01-31, 6:44 PM #17
Aye. There's no Brothers in Arms demo out that I know of.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-31, 7:41 PM #18
Quote:
Aye. There's no Brothers in Arms demo out that I know of.

Indeed, but it sure looks cool. I'm holding off until reviews come out about it. If it's not as good as CoD I'm going to pick up CoD and UO instead of it.
2005-01-31, 7:54 PM #19
CoD is defintely worth it, expansion or not.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-31, 8:01 PM #20
Quote:
i haven't seen it in a while, but i remember going through a flurry of convincing dozens of people to watch after i last saw it. BoB is so unimaginably awesome it defies explanation.
2005-01-31, 8:08 PM #21
Quote:
CoD is defintely worth it, expansion or not.

I was also waiting to see if they'd put it in a bundle, but so far no luck.
2005-01-31, 8:12 PM #22
oooh.

[http://home.comcast.net/~10kg22moller87/bia1.jpg]
[http://home.comcast.net/~10kg22moller87/bia2.jpg]
[http://home.comcast.net/~10kg22moller87/bia3.jpg]
2005-01-31, 8:20 PM #23
I loved UO. It's a bit more difficult than CoD though. For instance, there is one mission where you have to get to a chateu in the middle of the town, then protect it with your squadmates against swarms of counterattacks. It's hard, but it's very fun. The british campaign, like in CoD, is more james bondy, but the first level in the gun turrets is fun as hell too. Then you have the russian where you feel even more like a single peon ant in the army and the american campaign is still a happy medium.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-01-31, 8:46 PM #24
Quote:
oooh.

any more bloom and i'd say "Prince of Persia: Allied Assault"
2005-01-31, 8:59 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by DrkJedi82
any more bloom and i'd say "Prince of Persia: Allied Assault"

It may just be me, but it looks like the bloom works to me...it fits the "surrealistic war" viewpoint.
2005-01-31, 9:04 PM #26
not saying it doesn't look good but i'd rather see HDR being used... but then again i'd love to have HDR in every game working on my video card... as it is the only things with HDR that work on my system are tech demos
2005-01-31, 9:05 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by tofu
I was also waiting to see if they'd put it in a bundle, but so far no luck.

It'll happen soon enough. UO hasn't been out long enough yet.
Pissed Off?
2005-01-31, 9:07 PM #28
Quote:
not saying it doesn't look good but i'd rather see HDR being used... but then again i'd love to have HDR in every game working on my video card... as it is the only things with HDR that work on my system are tech demos

HDR, isn't that NVIDIA's new tech that makes everything really bright?
2005-01-31, 9:11 PM #29
Quote:
HDR, isn't that NVIDIA's new tech that makes everything really bright?

do a google search HDR has nothing to do with nvidia it is a way of rendering stuff... HDR=high dynamic range
2005-01-31, 9:34 PM #30
I'm a sucker for realism, even if it's painfully realistic. It sounds like I'd enjoy UO, as I'm masochistic like that. I'm gonna go ahead and get it.

For anyone like me, as far as the realism goes, I found this
http://callofduty.filefront.com/file/CoD_RealismIntensity_Enhancements;28746
It's much better than the Beyond the Call of Duty mod I mentioned earlier. Completely removes the hud (even subtitles), so make sure you know the levels. You can still show the objectives with tab, though. There's a complete description at the link. Note, though: It's intensely loud. If you thought CoD was loud before...holy ****. Make sure you test out the levels in the training, and adjust your sound accordingly or you could probably cause damage to your ears, heart, and speaker system. BUT I was playing with some ear buds the only time I tried it (just now) so it may just be those pieces of crap that are clipping.
</sarcasm>
2005-01-31, 9:49 PM #31
I loved the UO American/Soviet campaigns, and the Sicily missions for the Brits, other than that, the Brit campaign sucked.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-01-31, 10:07 PM #32
Quote:
do a google search HDR has nothing to do with nvidia it is a way of rendering stuff... HDR=high dynamic range

From what I gather on Google: it allows devs to store more color values in textures?
And wtf Schming? The best mission in UO is the British mission where you blow up the bridge .
2005-02-01, 5:42 AM #33
Quote:

And wtf Schming? The best mission in UO is the British mission where you blow up the bridge .

No, the best mission is the American one with the Chateau.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-02-01, 10:27 AM #34
I didn't like the COD SP. It was just too lame. I was sitting there on the 88 gun on Pegasus bridge mission, blasting tank after tank, and about go back for some health packs as I had taken a few bullets, and I suddenly realized how stupid it was. Four or five guys holding off an entire tank division? Over the course of that level I must have take forty or fifty hits, but I was in full "health" because I ran over a few med packs. :rolleyes: Allot of that stuff crossed over from the improbable to the impossible. Like the dam mission. How likely is it that one person goes through a dam and kills 100-200 Germans? I realize it's an FPS, but some things could be done to make it a bit more realistic. Such as, no health packs. And possibly giving you less enemies, but making the average soldier a match for you. Raven Shield does a good job at that. You are actually afraid to go into a room with an enemy in it. In CoD it more like, "*yawn* I just killed twenty guys and I took 5 or 6 bullets. Better be on the look out for some canteens." I wish they'd come out with a realistic WWII shooter. :( I know that’s how it is for most shooters, and I don’t mind that with Half Life 2, JK, ect. but I like some pretence of realism in my historical shooters.
2005-02-01, 10:39 AM #35
^ what he said.

On the box it said something like "you never fight alone!". Yeah, that's bull. There's two or three missions where you're with teammates the whole time. Most of the time, you're by yourself... killing thousands of germans and taking bullets left and right. It was a fun game, but not really any more realistic than some typical quake-like shooter. I was disapointed in that aspect.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-02-01, 10:45 AM #36
Quote:
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet
I didn't like the COD SP. It was just too lame. I was sitting there on the 88 gun on Pegasus bridge mission, blasting tank after tank, and about go back for some health packs as I had taken a few bullets, and I suddenly realized how stupid it was. Four or five guys holding off an entire tank division? Over the course of that level I must have take forty or fifty hits, but I was in full "health" because I ran over a few med packs. :rolleyes: Allot of that stuff crossed over from the improbable to the impossible. Like the dam mission. How likely is it that one person goes through a dam and kills 100-200 Germans? I realize it's an FPS, but some things could be done to make it a bit more realistic. Such as, no health packs. And possibly giving you less enemies, but making the average soldier a match for you. Raven Shield does a good job at that. You are actually afraid to go into a room with an enemy in it. In CoD it more like, "*yawn* I just killed twenty guys and I took 5 or 6 bullets. Better be on the look out for some canteens." I wish they'd come out with a realistic WWII shooter. :( I know that’s how it is for most shooters, and I don’t mind that with Half Life 2, JK, ect. but I like some pretence of realism in my historical shooters.

A) Don't play it on the easy difficulty
B) Bear in mind there's no good FPS engine that can render entire platoons of soldiers firing at each other.

I'm currently on veteran, with a realism mod, and it's pretty much 1-shot-you-die unless you get hit in the lower leg or arm. I'm also playing with no quicksaves, so playing checkpoint-to-checkpoint makes it seem very realistic. It becomes an entirely skillful game, having to slam on the prone key to narrowly dodge a stream of MG fire, then peek out only once he's reloading his weapon or get cut down. It's frustrating at first, but I love it. With my sound way up, I'm sure my neighbors can hear when a mortar goes off.

Basically, when I've killed 20 guys in a row from a machine gun emplacement...I really feel like it took skill and not just "point-shoot lalala". If I catch even 1 stray bullet, I'm pretty much ****ed. As far as the whole british campaign (with the dam, the ship, and stuff), I agree it was lame. It was alot like james bond, and I'll probably just skip past those levels this time around as it's a big turn-off to me. I did like the bridge level, though.
</sarcasm>
2005-02-01, 11:10 AM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor
^ what he said.

On the box it said something like "you never fight alone!". Yeah, that's bull. There's two or three missions where you're with teammates the whole time. Most of the time, you're by yourself... killing thousands of germans and taking bullets left and right. It was a fun game, but not really any more realistic than some typical quake-like shooter. I was disapointed in that aspect.

That's why you get off of easy difficulty.

I'm playing on hard right now, and I'll tell you there's times where I go long stints aching for a medpak. Also, my teammates have saved by *** at times. So I can't see how anything you guys are saying has any validity.
D E A T H
2005-02-01, 11:14 AM #38
another thing I like about this mod is the lack of hud. I'm having to estimate how much life I have by how severe the shellshock from getting hit is. Plus, I have to do the same thing with my ammunition. I've only actually ran out of ammo once, and it was near the end of the level anyways. Plus having to use iron-sights all the time is nice, as my first run through the game I didn't even really bother unless I was sniping a guy.

I'm not trying to convince anyone it's the most realistic game out there, I'm just saying try it on a harder difficulty if it's the lack of "realism" that bugged you.
</sarcasm>
2005-02-01, 11:49 AM #39
That bridge level is more or less exactly the same as the taking of Pegasus by British Gliderborne the night of D-Day. Ganted, they threw made it a video game experience, but the only liberties they really took were adding extra tanks.
Pissed Off?
2005-02-01, 12:19 PM #40
If you really want Ultima Online, get it.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum

↑ Up to the top!