Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → They are trying to corrupt me!
They are trying to corrupt me!
2005-02-01, 10:28 AM #1
I'm thinking about it, but I know they'll try to corrupt my moral views and make me think that Microsoft is a great place to work. But it's like resume +++++++.

Got this in my inbox from some account at RIT that always mails out this kind of junk.
Quote:
Explore Microsoft

Have you ever thought about pursuing a technical career in computer science or engineering? Here’s your chance to experience the exciting field of software development as a freshman or sophomore, become a Microsoft Explorer.

Explore Microsoft is a 8-week summer program specifically designed for college underclassmen (freshman and sophomores) and will offer the opportunity to experience working at Microsoft. This program is designed to expose students to the field of software development and encourage students to pursue degrees in computer science, computer engineering or related technical disciplines through 8 weeks of hands-on training & group project experience.

Candidate Qualifications:

Candidates must be a freshman or sophomore enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program with a demonstrated interest in majoring in computer science, computer engineering, software engineering or related technical major. Students must have completed an Introduction to Computer Science course (or equivalent class) as well as one semester of calculus (or equivalent) by the start of the program. Candidates must also be available for the entire 8 week program, from June 14 through August 5, 2005. Finalists will be selected on the basis of eligibility, quality of application and demonstrated interest in the software industry. Finalists will be interviewed and offers will be extended based on this interview as well as the candidate’s application.

We want to encourage students from groups currently underrepresented in the field of computer science- women, underrepresented minorities (African American, American Indian, Hispanic) and individuals with disabilities- to pursue computer science or engineering degrees. All candidates who meet the criteria for eligibility are encouraged to apply.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-02-01, 11:18 AM #2
Microsft bought your school's student list and is trying to gt people to work for them. Stay strong, Emon. I know you can do it. ;)
Pissed Off?
2005-02-01, 11:42 AM #3
Everybody loves a sellout.
2005-02-01, 11:43 AM #4
"Know thy enemy."
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-02-01, 1:02 PM #5
I'd work for Microsoft in a second!
2005-02-01, 3:09 PM #6
"Here guys, your summer project will be to debug Longhorn for us."

Actually, I would work there too.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-02-01, 5:48 PM #7
Heh, I can just see a floor of an office building full of cubicles with interns in them slaving away doing something like that. And there's guards armed with whips.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-02-01, 5:50 PM #8
The copy of XP Pro I'm running was bought with Staff Discount from MS - for a poxy £15.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.
2005-02-01, 6:28 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Martyn
The copy of XP Pro I'm running was bought with Staff Discount from MS - for a poxy £15.

EXACTLY. Mine cost me $12.95 US.

I'd do it. In the very least, I could slowly rise the ranks and fix MS my way as much as I were capable.
一个大西瓜
2005-02-01, 6:32 PM #10
Quote:
....and individuals with disabilities...

Welp, that explains Windows... ;)
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-02-01, 6:33 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Martyn

The copy of Gentoo Linux I'm running cost me $0.50, the cost of the two CD's I needed to burn it.

Would I work for Microsoft? I don't know. I guess it would depend on the department. I definitely would not work in gaming. I HATE programming DirectX.
2005-02-01, 6:53 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Pommy
EXACTLY. Mine cost me $12.95 US.

my copy of xp corporate was FREE! ;)
2005-02-01, 6:59 PM #13
I'd work for Microsoft.

Open Source is all well and good, but I plan on making a living.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-02-02, 4:30 AM #14
I'd never work for MS. A matter of personal pride.

Besides, money's not very important to me.
D E A T H
2005-02-02, 4:39 AM #15
I wouldn't work for Microsoft.

Quote:
Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ
Open Source is all well and good, but I plan on making a living.

My reasons aren't to do with Open Source. I've got no problem with closed source. However, I disagree with MS's business practices and their abuse of monopoly position. I wouldn't feel good bringing home my pay packet knowing I'd contributed to that.

↑ Up to the top!