Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Best reboot reason:
Best reboot reason:
2005-02-01, 2:27 PM #1
lol, I had to reboot my computer about two hours ago because mircstats.exe wasn't responding. I tried to ALT CTRL DEL and end task it, but it wasn't quite working. I then noticed "Security Alert" in the Applications tab, so I tried to "Switch To" that one, and the Windows Task Manager title bar would flash and try to mimimize and switch to whatever "Security Alert" is, but it couldn't, so it kept trying, over, and over and over. So Windows Task Manager just sat there, title bar blinking, desperatly trying to minimize, meanwhile I notice all my windows screeching to a slow halt, slowly trying to grab whatever resources they can.

Eventually my mouse stops responding, and I have to reboot. [http://www.hellraiser64.com/tdir/forums/images/smiles/laugh.gif]

Best Reboot Reason (for me) Evar!
-Hell Raiser
2005-02-01, 2:46 PM #2
Windows has taken a dump all over itself more times than I can remember. I've had to reboot every time.

On the other hand, I've found myself rebooting my Ubuntu system more often than I should. I blame the X server for messing something up, but what can you do? Though now that I think about it, maybe it was the laptop's crappy hardware rather than an X problem.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-02-01, 3:12 PM #3
I never have to reboot, I turn on my comp in the morning, and turn it off at night. :)
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-02-01, 3:13 PM #4
My reason?

Because I accidentally laid on my laptop and broke the screen. I rebooted with the (incredibly small) hope that it was somehow not REALLY broken.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-02-01, 3:14 PM #5
Sometimes, I restart because the devil says to
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-02-01, 3:17 PM #6
The only time I've had to reboot was when CS:Source froze due to its genius incompatilibyt with the latest Linksys router firmware.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-02-01, 3:34 PM #7
Best reboot reason? To upgrade to a new kernel.
2005-02-01, 3:45 PM #8
I reboot my computer when I move it. That's about it.... I think it's been running steady for something like 4 weeks...
>>untie shoes
2005-02-01, 3:59 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Shintock

You don't have to reboot even to do that anymore. (Admittedly, it's really not worth the effort, but you don't HAVE to.)

My best reboot reason:

Usually run dual monitor setup, right? Well, I go to a lan party, and take this old crappy CRT instead. I go into linux. It does the whole ordeal of booting, then the X-Server loads. Suddenly, the monitor clicks, and everything is reduced to an intensely bright white dot in the middle, and funky colors all around. I immediately hit the power switch on the monitor and reboot, realizing that my X-Server was still configured for my old monitors, which ran at a resolution much higher than this old CRT could manage. Somehow I didn't destroy the monitor. (Although to this day it acts like it is going to die, it hasn't yet.)
2005-02-01, 4:39 PM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Shintock

You beat me to it. :p
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-02-01, 4:57 PM #11
Drivers/Kernel/Programs . Never for hardware really, unless installing it, which in that case, is a shut down.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-02-01, 5:45 PM #12
The only time my box ever goes offline is for hardware installation.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-02-01, 5:55 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfy
The only time I've had to reboot was when CS:Source froze due to its genius incompatilibyt with the latest Linksys router firmware.

dubois?! I have the latest linksys router firmware and CS:S runs okies when my brother and i play across the LAN or together on some server.
2005-02-01, 6:04 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill
I reboot my computer when I move it. That's about it.... I think it's been running steady for something like 4 weeks...

I throw mine into Hibernation when I move it.

Best reboot reason? Generally when Windows effs itself up the you know where.

Thankfully, it hasn't done that in 19 days 7 hours 3 minutes and 57 seconds.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-02-02, 8:22 AM #15
I use Win98. 'Nuff said.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-02-02, 4:46 PM #16
Steam
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2005-02-02, 5:07 PM #17
I turn it off all whenever I leave the house or go to bed. Other than that, it usually stays on all the time. I'd leave it on when I go to bed, but it's just a little to loud for me to sleep with it on, and even thouhg I'm behind a pretty good firewall, I still don't like leaving it on if I'm not using it.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee

↑ Up to the top!