Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Yay GPS, now what?
Yay GPS, now what?
2005-02-01, 9:26 PM #1
My company gave me a free GPS receiver as a pat on the back, job well done, moral booster type thing. Other than Geocaching what other fun activities can one do with GPS? Any ideas?

So far I have:

- Calculated my average speed during LA rush hour (34mph)
- Recieved ETA times to and from work
- Found my car, after forgetting where I parked
2005-02-01, 9:31 PM #2
You can send it to me so I can have another neat toy that I really don't need. ;)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-02-01, 9:32 PM #3
http://www.gpsgames.org/

looks interesting.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-02-01, 9:40 PM #4
I've used GPS for mapping tree plots.
Pissed Off?
2005-02-01, 9:43 PM #5
What kind did you get?

My came with games where you actually had to walk around to play, like getting through a maze and a whack-a-mole type thing.
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2005-02-02, 1:30 AM #6
You can use it as a vital component in your home-made cruise missile!
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-02-02, 1:34 AM #7
Join an orienterring club
Pissed Off?
2005-02-02, 3:57 AM #8
Place it hidden on our Vice President Dick Cheney to see where he always disappears to.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-02-02, 6:37 AM #9
I second the cruise missile idea.
Stuff
2005-02-02, 8:29 AM #10
You could save the position of every toilet you come across and rule the world by impressing people with your knowledge of where the nearest toilet is.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-02-02, 3:08 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Impi
You could save the position of every toilet you come across and rule the world by impressing people with your knowledge of where the nearest toilet is.

That's amazing! I'll have the closest 500 toilets saved in mine within the week!
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-02-02, 3:34 PM #12
I use mine when I'm off-roading so I don't get lost :) hard to find decent places to challenge your 4wd vehicle in LA though.
2005-02-02, 4:03 PM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by kyle90
I second the cruise missile idea.

Actually, civilian GPSs aren't really accurate enough for that use. Now if you don't really care what you hit then go right ahead.
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-02-02, 4:21 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Wookie06
Actually, civilian GPSs aren't really accurate enough for that use. Now if you don't really care what you hit then go right ahead.

My Dad's GPS is accurate to within 3 feet. How much closer do you need to get than that with a large explosive? :confused:
Life is beautiful.
2005-02-02, 4:25 PM #15
Quote:

Yeah. They used to be really poor, with even a 10 meter inaccuracy years ago. However, like Rogue Leader said, they are much better nowadays. And if you are really worried, just increase the payload a bit! :p
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-02-02, 5:46 PM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Leader
My Dad's GPS is accurate to within 3 feet. How much closer do you need to get than that with a large explosive? :confused:

They do report grid coordinates that are within a meter (approx 3 ft) just like military systems however they lack the capability to receive an additional signal. I'm trying to use layman's terms here. Basically, even though they report to the same level they lack the error checking that military systems are capable of. Its because military systems are capable of receiving an additional encrypted signal. That difference also makes it possible for the military to send faulty signals to GPS that are incapable of receiving the encrypted signals. Remember that the next time your GPS steers you to the wrong side of Hollywood! :D
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2005-02-02, 6:03 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Impi

Thats the best thing I ever heard. :D
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-02-02, 6:43 PM #18
Quote:
They do report grid coordinates that are within a meter (approx 3 ft) just like military systems however they lack the capability to receive an additional signal. I'm trying to use layman's terms here. Basically, even though they report to the same level they lack the error checking that military systems are capable of. Its because military systems are capable of receiving an additional encrypted signal. That difference also makes it possible for the military to send faulty signals to GPS that are incapable of receiving the encrypted signals. Remember that the next time your GPS steers you to the wrong side of Hollywood! :D

note to self: Faulty GPS signals fault of military conspiracy to send me to the wrong side of Hollywood. Got it!
Life is beautiful.
2005-02-02, 7:53 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Leader
note to self: Faulty GPS signals fault of military conspiracy to send me to the wrong side of Hollywood. Got it!

He's right. Although many newer models DO recieve this extra signal, it is artificially less accurate for non-military units. I forget what it's called. Wide Area something something.
Little angel go away
Devil has my ear today
2005-02-02, 8:06 PM #20
I got a Garmin eTrex. The accuracy is stated as 3-15ft. I am kind of tempted to use it on a rolllercoaster. Six Flags Magic Mountain this weekend? :)
2005-02-02, 8:22 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Zy
I got a Garmin eTrex. The accuracy is stated as 3-15ft. I am kind of tempted to use it on a rolllercoaster. Six Flags Magic Mountain this weekend? :)

GO eTrex VISTA!! I love mine. Topo map CD is great too.
Little angel go away
Devil has my ear today
2005-02-02, 8:58 PM #22
Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson
He's right. Although many newer models DO recieve this extra signal, it is artificially less accurate for non-military units. I forget what it's called. Wide Area something something.

I believed him. That was sarcasm. ;)
Life is beautiful.
2005-02-02, 9:15 PM #23
I knew that.
Little angel go away
Devil has my ear today

↑ Up to the top!