Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Most underrated RPG series / Game that you know of?
Most underrated RPG series / Game that you know of?
2005-02-02, 6:48 AM #1
Hm. Tales of Destiny was a great RPG back in the days of PSX

Side scrolling action-age for the battles where your characters were AI controlled. I think I talked about this before ;)

Next, the Wild Arms series (Especially wild arms 2 and 3)

In the first one (If my memory serves me right) guns and machines etc used for weapons was an evil thing. Lo and Behold, you're main character has a gun. You didn't just walk to towns in the normal sense. You had to follow clues from towns people, goto where you THINK the town is, then press a button to launch a ray like thing to 'search' for it. If you found it, then it appears :D

Wild arms 2. Wow. Best time I had with the PSX. Nothing beats 'experimenting' with lord blazer in a normal battle when you get a new ability with him. Great storyline, where the main character has some problems and can transform into some black armored dude with a cape, named Lord Blazer. He is cool. Yeah. I like Lord Blazer. Yeah.

Wild Arms 3 Was great. Classic battle system but with horses and a big sand ship thing too. Really great storylines like the other 2. Sadly, this is even LESS popular than the original two games. Most underrated and underheard of game for the Playstation 2. I can't believe I traded it in to go towards war of the monsters :(
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-02-02, 6:57 AM #2
I'd say the Golden Sun series for GBA. WONDERFUL graphics (some of the summons rival what you see in some of the FF's) and IMO has great tunes too. I remember going to towns just to listen to the music for a bit. :)

The only problem is that they are a tad bit easy.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-02-02, 7:06 AM #3
Strife. Great roleplaying game built using the DooM engine. A masterpiece of creativity and ingenuity.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-02-02, 7:15 AM #4
Betrayal at Krondor. Finished the game last week for the first time... bloody awesome.
The answer is maybe.
2005-02-02, 7:56 AM #5
Hybrid Heaven for the N64. I cannot stress enough how much I'd love for a sequel of this game, or one using the same character development system. Sadly I doubt it'll ever happen; I've only ever seen two copies in my life. Fortunately one now belongs to me :D
2005-02-02, 1:24 PM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol
I'd say the Golden Sun series for GBA. WONDERFUL graphics (some of the summons rival what you see in some of the FF's) and IMO has great tunes too. I remember going to towns just to listen to the music for a bit. :)

The only problem is that they are a tad bit easy.

Indeed. A great storyline, awesome graphics, great gameplay (it is a tad easy, but if you want it hard, just rush through. The lower level playing will make it much harder.), WONDERFUL soundtrack (I actually have the full soundtrack on my computer. My fav tracks are the Venus Lighthouse and of course the main Golden Sun theme), and probably one of the best GB games of all time.

I was so obsessed with the first game when it came out. I played it so much that I got all the djinn, 2 kikuichimonjis (the absolute best sword in the game, and also the rarest of all. Only one monster in one area drops it, and even then it is rare.), got the best equipment for all my other characters, and maxed out at lvl 99. (Also have max gold, but that isn't too hard to do)

That was really fun when I transferred them over to GS2, and had godly stuff. :D
2005-02-02, 1:35 PM #7
Hehe, one of my favourite memories of Golden Sun was saving up the Game Tickets and Lucky Medals, then blowing them all in Tolbi and getting uber cool stuff :D
2005-02-02, 1:35 PM #8
Suikoden 1-4. FAVORITE RPG EVER
nothing beats getting 108 to 216 people.. don't know how many 4 gets though..
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-02-02, 2:20 PM #9
Dragon Warrior 1 & 2. My two biggest time sinks when I was little
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-02-02, 2:51 PM #10
Hands down the final fantasy series. Truly a great series, heavily underated and underplayed. These games were amazing, yet didnt sell well because of their japanese roots. Heavily underated also, truly a great series yet no one acknowledges it. A shame really.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-02-02, 2:54 PM #11
The 7th Saga.
2005-02-02, 3:00 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by fishstickz
Hands down the final fantasy series. Truly a great series, heavily underated and underplayed. These games were amazing, yet didnt sell well because of their japanese roots. Heavily underated also, truly a great series yet no one acknowledges it. A shame really.

what are you smoking? FF is the most heard of RPG series EVER... minus DnD because this is video games
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-02-02, 3:01 PM #13
I think it was sarcasm...
Hopefully ;)
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-02-02, 3:02 PM #14
Strife, System Shock 1 & 2
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-02-02, 3:06 PM #15
Quote:
Originally posted by Genki
what are you smoking? FF is the most heard of RPG series EVER... minus DnD because this is video games

I was being, heavily, heavily sarcastic.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-02-02, 3:10 PM #16
Dink Smallwood
He's Watching you
…../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_………
…( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-, ….
2005-02-02, 3:15 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Genki
Suikoden 1-4. FAVORITE RPG EVER
nothing beats getting 108 to 216 people.. don't know how many 4 gets though..

Suikoden 3 was soo awesome, it was ridiculous. What do you mean by getting 108-216 people? Is this number of people in your party or number of enemies you fight?
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-02-02, 3:17 PM #18
A lot of people always forget "Vagrant Story" for PlayStation. Even though I never was able to beat it, it was an awesome game for however much I played it. Awesome story, great graphics for PS, and a really really good action system. (Not turn based)
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-02-02, 3:33 PM #19
Everytime we have a thread like this it needs to be said, Planescape: Torment. It is the best game I've played.

Best story of any game I have ever played, and better then most movies. You wake up in a mortuary with no idea of who you are and how you got there, with only a floating skull and a note that's tatooed on your back to guide you. You are immortal, so it is nearly impossible to completely die in the game. You need to find out why you are imortal, and how you can change that.

For an RPG there is very little combat in the game, you can talk your way out of most situations that you get in the game. You get more experience talking to people and figuring things out then fighting evil creatures.

It is also has some of the most roleplaying out of any RPG I've seen. If there is a way you want to say something to someone, chances are that it's an option.

The only bad thing I could see in the game is that there is a lot of reading, which didn't bother me at all, because your imagination would work better for creating the things that are told then the computer. Go get this game. Now.
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2005-02-02, 4:00 PM #20
Dune based on the movie and book which came out for the PC and Sega CD (and maybe something else) is an awesome game, I think. I love the music and the graphics are swell for the time when it came out. The story pretty much follows the movie and book, but also doesn't follow either completely, but it has a lot of cool stuff. The game play is very simple, point and click, make decisions, whatever. But there is also stuff like flying around in an ornithopter over the surface of Dune, and there are seitches you can find, most of which you are either told about or those that are implied, but there are also those that no one tells you about and you can find by searching the entire surface of the planet in the most out of the way places and it takes quite a while but is pretty damn cool.

Pokemon Blue/Red. Some people may agree. I know a lot of people can also say that it is a kiddie game or that Pokemon sucks or whatever, but the game that came out for GameBoy is a pretty damn good RPG, and I think it is quite innovative.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen

↑ Up to the top!