Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So I almost died today
So I almost died today
2005-02-02, 2:01 PM #1
Yup. and it's not one of those situations where you attempt to kill yourself and fail. nope.

See, some of you know I study in electrical wiring. today was my first class for the new semester, and we began installing some big tubing, the kind that connects the electrical lines to your home. those tubes are made of steel. 2" diameter and 10' lenght.

A tube was standing upright resting against a wall while i was working on some other stuff. I stand up, still do stuff, then suddenly I feel a really big impact on my head.

(for those of you wondering how i'm typing this, we have this thing known as construction helmets on our heads)

turns out the tube wasn't properly secured, so it slid down and hit me right smack on the top of my head. I often take off my helmet to do some minor work and whatnot... I'd hate to think what would've happened if i didn't have my helmet on at that time.

so kids, wear your helms!
"NAILFACE" - spe
2005-02-02, 2:05 PM #2
I have the gypsy helm of griffendor. It's socketed with a orc skull gem. Pipes don't even phase me.
>>untie shoes
2005-02-02, 2:07 PM #3
um what?
2005-02-02, 2:22 PM #4
your cluelessness amuses me.

I'll put it simple

bigass steel pipe. falling down on my head. Day saved by my helmet.

clearer?
"NAILFACE" - spe
2005-02-02, 2:23 PM #5
I wasn't talking to you... it's a good thing you were wearing your helmet though.
2005-02-02, 2:25 PM #6
Now that is headbanging. :D
2005-02-02, 2:25 PM #7
<Genki> seb, how heavy was the pipe?
<Seb> a good 100-150 pounds
<Genki> ouch
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-02-02, 2:25 PM #8
Definitely could have been a lot worse :eek:
Pissed Off?
2005-02-02, 2:26 PM #9
Quote:
Originally posted by Seb
your cluelessness amuses me.

I'll put it simple

bigass steel pipe. falling down on my head. Day saved by my helmet.

clearer?

I heard that the more you get hit on the head by heavy objects, the more your brain callouses to protect the remaining bits of it...
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-02-02, 2:28 PM #10
:( good thing you had your hard hat.

keep on buzzing, do you think you'll remove your helmet for small jobs in future?:
2005-02-02, 2:33 PM #11
That heavy?? 2" diameter EMT (electrical metallic tubing) usually weighs no more than...25 pounds. Of course these are for indoors. It sounds like you were doing outdoor wiring. And Canadian laws differ from United States/CA laws.

Edit: After speaking with my dad who is an electrician for...well as long as I've been alive + a few. There are two types of piping, regular and rigid. I'm guessing that it was the rigid type that struck poor Seb and those can weigh A LOT. I forgot about EMT rigid.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-02-02, 2:35 PM #12
A 2"x10' steel tube is going to be heavy enough to hurt you if it hits you in the head.
Pissed Off?
2005-02-02, 2:40 PM #13
Yeah but it won't kill you. At least not if you piss I mean drink as much milk as someone like I does.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-02-02, 2:44 PM #14
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
Yeah but it won't kill you. At least not if you piss I mean drink as much milk as someone like I does.

You were that person??
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-02-02, 2:52 PM #15
Your helmet should get the next employee of the week.

Just like the inanimate carbon rod that saved the world.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-02-02, 2:55 PM #16
after reading the start i'm slightly dissapointed it wasnt an electricution story ;)
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-02-02, 3:04 PM #17
Electrocution is overrated.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-02-02, 4:24 PM #18
Hard hats have got to be some of the most uncomfortable things in the world, but everytime I hit my head when I'm masking off stuff to paint around cielings, I'm thankful that I'm wearing it.
Life is beautiful.
2005-02-02, 4:43 PM #19
My hard hat saved me from injury a couple times last summer in the aluminum plant too. Glad you didn't hurt yourself. :)

Now rock on, mother****er!!! \m/
2005-02-02, 5:27 PM #20
Life? What aboout toes? I generally wear steel-toed boots... infact, well, I always do...because thats the only kind of shoes I have...

..Anyway, about 2 years ago, I was working at a local security company. We drove around in this old Chevy van with an obnoxious 40' ladder strapped to the top. Well, a few weeks after I started, we were out on a job, and we had to do some work on the bottom of an overpass... So, I pulled the ladder off the top of the van.

Now, this ladder weighs in excess of a hundred pounds, and is *very* cumbersome, and at the time I couldnt really handle it all that well. And, in the process of trying to position it, I accidentally slammed it down on my foot. The action scrapped the material off the toe of my boot, clean down to the metal. It also bent the steel down to the point that it was nearly touching my toe. If I had been wearing normal shoes, Id be short some toes... :o

BTW. by the time I lost that job, ~6 months later, I had gotten to the point where I could twirl that ladder over my head with ease... :D
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-02-02, 6:04 PM #21
it's not EMT we're talking about. maybe not 150 but well near the 100 pounds mark.

either way, gotta love hardhats. though i have this strange feeling i shrinked since then.

and yeah, I'm still as reckless as ever helmet wise, but I'll be more cautious that's for sure.

And i have quite a bit of "shocking" stories but that's just not worthwhile since it's so common :p
"NAILFACE" - spe

↑ Up to the top!