Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Delete swap file on shut down?
Delete swap file on shut down?
2005-02-02, 4:07 PM #1
I was wondering about something. Is it recommended (or safe) to have Windows automatically delete the swap file every time that it shuts down?

Note: I am using Windows 98 SE if that makes a difference.
2005-02-02, 4:10 PM #2
It's safe (on XP/2k at least, dont know about 9x) it's also secure since the swap file can contain secure information. However, i believe it does mean your computer will take longer to shut down and boot up.

p.s. Tech forum :p
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-02-02, 4:24 PM #3
Unless your absolutely paranoid about security, I wouldn't worry about that.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-02-02, 5:06 PM #4
Theres no point. That setting will do nothing more than add a noticible increase in starup/shutdown times. All other functions will be unaffected.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-02-02, 6:03 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
Theres no point. That setting will do nothing more than add a noticible increase in starup/shutdown times. All other functions will be unaffected.
Except the security concerns, of course (you don't know what it wrote to the swap file)
2005-02-02, 7:34 PM #6
Deleting/creating a swap file or changing the file size will slow down stuff.

Thus, I keep my swap file at a fixed 1.5GB size (that's minimum and maximum) so Windows can't A) change the size all the time and slown down stuff and B) keep it small to make me think I still have space and then balloon it to fill my HD and hang when it runs out of space.

2005-02-02, 8:16 PM #7
You could get a GB of RAM and turn the swap file off entirely. That should fix your problem.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee

↑ Up to the top!