Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New web-based IRC page.
New web-based IRC page.
2005-03-03, 7:52 PM #1
Ive been meaning to install CGI::IRC for awhile now, and I finally got to it tonight. Here is the result.

Its a completely web-based IRC cient that will allow you to chat with the guys in #jkhub, #massassi, etc. It does not require java. Also, it does not require any ports other than port 80.

So, log in, chat, screw around, etc. Comments, suggestions, bugs, death threats, post them here... ;)
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-03-03, 8:09 PM #2
This is totally sweet. It is everything I have been looking for. Thank you gbk for making my life almost complete. Oh, and who to address checks to, for purchasing this fine product?
Air Master 3D (my iPhone game)
My Programming Website
2005-03-03, 8:10 PM #3
It's cool. There's gotta be some advanced code in it to work the way it does. Script processes interacting with each other, for example. I don't know perl myself so i don't know for sure what's involved.

It works in IE, Firefox, and Opera that I've tested. At once, too. :)

It also serves as a sort of proxy server, if you will. But be warned...

If you use this to banevade into #massassi, I will personally kick your *** from here to kingdom come.

2005-03-03, 8:11 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
death threats

Don't EVER be ALONE... OR ELSE.

Hey, you ASKED for death threats...;)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-03-03, 8:11 PM #5
Yes, they interact, they multiply...Clones even. There is something sinister here, when server side irc scripts start multiplying...
My Programming Website
2005-03-03, 8:12 PM #6
Hmm... does the string of numbers and letters (like "440e595f") in the address correspond to the users actuall IP? Otherwise its going to be a pain to ban people who abuse this.
2005-03-03, 8:12 PM #7
Thanks, gbk. Now, maybe a few more people can visit us in #jkhub.

:)
2005-03-03, 8:14 PM #8
As far as I can tell the names in the address appear to be the same every time I join.
My Programming Website
2005-03-03, 8:15 PM #9
I love you.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-03-03, 8:15 PM #10
Seems like it would eat massive amounts of bandwith and resources. I mean, you are keeping Apache running a completely open data connection with multiple people, and random sending events, not even a constant stream. Doesn't seem too health.
2005-03-03, 8:16 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Mega_ZZTer
...If you use this to banevade into #massassi, I will personally kick your *** from here to kingdom come.

The script allows for blacklisting specific IPs, so abusers can be easily kept at bay....
2005-03-03, 8:18 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
The script allows for blacklisting specific IPs, so abusers
can be easily kept at bay....

How so?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-03-03, 8:20 PM #13
Would it be that much more difficult to have users type in their own channel name? Say I wanted to join #dbtz or something.

But other than that, it's awesome.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-03-03, 8:20 PM #14
<SAJN_Master> woah GBK's chat IRC web thing kicks menkey
<TheBoss> it does doesn't
<The_MAZZTer> * .SAJN_Master (440e595f@holonet-3E35D901.client.insightBB.com) joined (Clones: +DSetty .gbk +HelloThere .mzztIE .mzztFirefox .mzztOp3ra +TheBoss +User233)
<The_MAZZTer> hahahah
<SAJN_Master> http://forums.massassi.net/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30264 <-- <3 GBK
<The_MAZZTer> CLONE :P
*** mode/#massassi [+l 43] by The_MAZZTer
<CoolMatty> as interesting as that script is, it's gotta be horrible for bandwith/system resources
<TheBoss> alls I know is
<TheBoss> Its hella tight
*** SithGandalf [44471bcb@holonet-3E35D901.client.insightBB.com] has joined #massassi
*** mode/#massassi [+v SithGandalf] by ChanServ
<SithGandalf> Whoa...
<SAJN_Master> I know
<SAJN_Master> sex huh
<SithGandalf> I adm
<SithGandalf> This is impressive.
<SithGandalf> Kudos to GBK.
<TheBoss> much impressive
*** dud` [97c42092@holonet-3E35D901.client.insightBB.com] has joined #massassi
*** mode/#massassi [+v dud`] by ChanServ
<dud`> Hmm
<dud`> This is a test.
<HelloThere> go gbk!
<dud`> This is a test of GBK's thing
<dud`> neat.
<seven> this is fun
Think while it's still legal.
2005-03-03, 8:20 PM #15
CM: its not really a constant connection. AFAIK, it uses the XMLHttpRequest javascript method for communication.

Also, the script itself doesnt really hit on my server all that much. Its great. :D
2005-03-03, 8:25 PM #16
Very good... now I can join IRC at work, where Im not allowed to install anything! WOOOooooOO!!
We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams...
Neurotic||Mobius Grith||The Atrium
2005-03-03, 8:30 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by happydud
Would it be that much more difficult to have users type in their own channel name? Say I wanted to join #dbtz or something.

Its not intended as a general-purpose IRC client, only a replacement for that craptacular java client thats hosted by Massassi.

Having said that, you can easily run "/server SERVER_NAME" and "/join ROOM_NAME"...
2005-03-04, 12:47 AM #18
fellow linux user, is this open source? :) I'd love to use it on a website, where I have a java chat. pjirc that is. Much better than jirc - but still, most users don't allow it to be installed. This is absolutely perfect. Very nice work!
My levels
2005-03-04, 1:09 AM #19
Look up CGI IRC. It's on sourceforge.
My Programming Website
2005-03-04, 1:23 AM #20
Dude, GBK, you've just made the day of all the massassians who want to join the chat...but can't due to port blockage.

Kudos, man.
D E A T H
2005-03-04, 6:12 AM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by DSettahr
Hmm... does the string of numbers and letters (like "440e595f") in the address correspond to the users actuall IP?...

No, its completely random. However, it is logged on my end...so if someone abuses it, ask me and Ill give your their IP.
2005-03-04, 6:18 AM #22
You = rock
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-03-04, 6:28 AM #23
Hey, gbk, could you make the default name be TK### instead of User###? :D

2005-03-04, 9:17 AM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
The script allows for blacklisting specific IPs, so abusers can be easily kept at bay....

I know. I wasn't saying I'd ban your whole script or you GBK, calm down. :p I was actually thinking of *ReT*

2005-03-04, 10:23 AM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
No, its completely random. However, it is logged on my end...so if someone abuses it, ask me and Ill give your their IP.

That wouldnt work, because you cant ban by IP on the holonet anways. Is there a way you could make it so that it corresponds to the user's IP address? Something similar to the way the Holonet encodes users addresses themselves?
2005-03-04, 10:37 AM #26
I think he meant banning the person from his own personal server.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-03-04, 11:37 AM #27
To anybody else I have ever told that they are my favorite Massassian:

gbk wins

Thanks man, this is really very nice.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-03-04, 12:52 PM #28
Geez, I've been trying to get someone to put this up for a long time. I need CGIIRC cause normal is blocked by my school's firewall. All the other CGIIRC pages are specific to thier network.
A computer's worst nightmare:

HazTeam Website-=HT=
2005-03-04, 2:41 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by ZeqMacaw
Hey, gbk, could you make the default name be TK### instead of User###?
Why? :confused:

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfy
I think he meant banning the person from his own personal server.

Indeed. The script allows blocking specific IPs. Its not an IRC feature, its a feature of this script. And even if it wasnt, I could still block specific users at the hardware level.
2005-03-04, 2:54 PM #30
"TK421, why aren't you at your post?"

Uh, I am posting, sir. On Massassi.

2005-03-04, 3:10 PM #31
Of course! *smacks head* :D
2005-03-04, 5:04 PM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by gbk
Indeed. The script allows blocking specific IPs. Its not an IRC feature, its a feature of this script. And even if it wasnt, I could still block specific users at the hardware level.

The problem is that if someone decides to cause trouble, we'll have to wait until you respond to our email before they can be taken care of, unless we ban everyone who uses the feature. Normally, there are enough ops that there is usually at least one who isnt AFK to take care of things, where as you're the only one admining this feature (which quite a few people appear to be using, thanks btw). I'm not saying you're untrustworthy or anything like that, I'm just saying that you couldnt be expected to always promptly take care of someone who was abusing the feature.
2005-03-04, 6:13 PM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by DSettahr
...I'm just saying that you couldnt be expected to always promptly take care of someone who was abusing the feature.

Check your PMs.
2005-03-09, 6:13 PM #34
You just saved me from a death of boredom in night school.
2005-03-09, 6:16 PM #35
It works on a Mac. :)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-03-09, 6:18 PM #36
Is there a way to join more than one channel?
2005-03-09, 6:18 PM #37
Quote:
Originally posted by Sige
Look up CGI IRC. It's on sourceforge.

That's a relief. My brain was about to explode from the thought that GBK actually could code that.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-03-09, 6:20 PM #38
Oh, burn....
2005-03-09, 6:58 PM #39
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
That's a relief. My brain was about to explode from the thought that GBK actually could code that.
I could, but Im far too lazy.

Vincent: Try "/join CHANNEL" while in a channel.
2005-03-09, 7:02 PM #40
I tried that, but:

*** Access to [removed] is blocked

I think you only have it configured for #massassi, #jkhub, and some of the better known Massassi fringe channels.

↑ Up to the top!