Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Pop up ad at massassi!?
Pop up ad at massassi!?
2004-04-27, 3:29 PM #1
When I came to the site I got a pop-up ad for a travel agency.. anyone else getting pop-up ads?
"You were probably a result of sabotage."
2004-04-27, 3:30 PM #2
sounds like you have spyware bub.
try using a program like Ad-Aware or Spybot Search and Destroy to rid yourself of it.

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-04-27, 3:38 PM #3
Beware of the spyware! Also, don't just try a single program; I doubt that it is even possible to create a single program that disposes of all spyware that you might have. Try 'em all, at least all the ones you can try for free.

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-04-27, 4:14 PM #4
Massassi does not have popups.

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-04-27, 4:52 PM #5
Not that a bunch of us would notice even if it did. The joys of browsers OTHER than IE.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-04-27, 5:06 PM #6
Meh ZoneAlarm Pro and MSN Messenger 6.2 came with block up blockers for IE 6.0 you'ed hardly notice with that stuff.

------------------
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

2004-04-27, 5:12 PM #7
Only I don't use ZoneAlarm or MSN 6.2

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-04-27, 7:13 PM #8
Hee Hee. IE. *cough* Adblocking Software
Stops all but the most determined sites from showing their stinking ads that I pay no attention to.

------------------
Bond, Power, CA, The Force, Saber, IC, Epic, Oily Mexican Food, BG, /\ |> /\ /\/\, Sentences.
Now you know where I've been.

[This message has been edited by Darth Slaw (edited April 27, 2004).]
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-04-27, 8:58 PM #9
If you download Google's search toolbar for IE, it helps block out most ads from popping up.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://www.savagex.net
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-04-28, 12:47 AM #10
Romjae, download both Ad-Aware and SpyBot, and run them both. And then make sure your system is 'imunized' with SpyBot.

Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

SpyBot:
http://www.safer-networking.org/

If you still have problems, the programs from this page might help although they are a bit more advanced and harder for the average computer user to use effectively:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...
DSettahr's Homepage | Cantina Cloud

[This message has been edited by DSettahr (edited April 28, 2004).]
2004-04-28, 1:01 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Not that a bunch of us would notice even if it did. The joys of browsers OTHER than IE.

</font>

The version of IE I'm running blocks popups.
2004-04-28, 3:53 AM #12
I've got to say that I do like using Ad-Aware - the first time I ran it (back when I was using Kazaa ( [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]..)) it found at least ~173 miscellaneous troublesome sources.

In a strange, "coincidental" type of way, that was the last time I used Kazaa too.... Coincidence - well - you decide [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

-Jackpot

------------------
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." - gothicX

"Life is mostly froth and bubble,
But two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own"
("Ye Wearie Wayfarer" - by Adam Lindsay Gordon)
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." -gothicX
"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
- "Ye Wearie Wayfarer"
|| AI Builder: compatible with both JK & MotS || My website ||
2004-04-28, 4:08 AM #13
My brother ran pestpetrol... its something that comes with ZoneAlarm he found 986 ad/spy programs.

------------------

2004-04-28, 4:51 AM #14
I use firefiox almost exclusively now (except for windows update) and I haven't gotten a single piece of spyware yet.

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-04-28, 4:55 AM #15
Windows Update is annoying it forces you to use IE.

------------------

2004-04-28, 4:56 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MechWarrior:
Windows Update is annoying it forces you to use IE.

</font>
probably because it relies on IE's various security holes to work...

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.
2004-04-28, 4:59 AM #17
I stopped using windows update a long time ago. And yet my computer still seems to live on just fine without them.

If you dont like something, then just say you dont like it. There is no need to use derogatory words like that.
-DSettahr

[This message has been edited by DSettahr (edited April 28, 2004).]
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-04-28, 5:00 AM #18
This is just a suggestion but I suggest you get the security patches I know it doesn't seem like they work but they do stop somethings.

------------------

[This message has been edited by MechWarrior (edited April 28, 2004).]
2004-04-28, 5:27 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I stopped using windows update a long time ago. It really is gay.</font>

Yes, windows update does tend to ram it's tiny little packets up IE's back door.

------------------
"I was driving along listening to the radio, when Judas Priest comes on. It was 'You've got another thing coming.' All of a sudden, I enter 'VICE CITY RAMAGE MODE' and nearly ran some guy over"
- ]-[ellequin
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-04-28, 5:29 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
Yes, windows update does tend to ram it's tiny little packets up IE's back door.

</font>

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
2004-04-28, 3:32 PM #21
Yeah, thanks for pointing that out there guys. I wont have to worry about seeing that anymore [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
"You were probably a result of sabotage."
2004-04-28, 4:16 PM #22
I'm with Pagewizard and Prince Xizor here. I use FireFox for everything now. IE can die. I never use Windows Update. I find it to be more trouble than it's worth in the long run. As for security updates? That stupid Security Patch CD I sent away for only had 2 things for Win2k. One was SP4 which I've had for months now. The other was some silly security patch. It told me nothing of what it was going to fix, what was affected if I didn't patch, all it said was that I should install it if I didn't want attackers taking over my computer. This is the same thing every other update they release says.

I didn't install it. I see no reason why anyone in their right mind would want to attack my system. If they'd told me a bit more, I might have. I don't install things blindly.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand

↑ Up to the top!