Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Far Cry and DX: Invisible War questions
Far Cry and DX: Invisible War questions
2004-04-26, 4:38 PM #1
I just need to know if my system has a chance in hell of playing either. Don't bother ranting about Deus Ex: Invisible War and how bad it is. I already know. You see, I've read about it, I've heard about it, but I haven't seen it. So for awhile now I've been telling people how bad it sucked based on that. I want to see for myself just how badly it sucks so I at least how first hand evidence when I tell someone it sucks.

So yes, look at my specs and tell me if I can run Far Cry and Invisible War at least decently. I'm not looking to blow my mind away with graphics, I just want it to run.

Pentium III 900 Mhz
256Meg Ram (512 Virtual)
ATi Radeon 7500LE

I believe that's about all you need. I've read up on their official specs, but we all know you can often get away with less. Also, can anyone give me an idea of how big the Far Cry demo is installed? I only have 2.8 gig free right now (where the hell did my space go....) so I obviously need to clean house. I just need to know how much.

Muchos gracias.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-04-26, 4:48 PM #2
1. yes
2. but at low settings with occasional slowdown (especially in far cry)
3. DX:IW doesn't suck it was just a bit disappointing because it wasn't as r0x0r as DX
4. more RAM and a newer video card would make a noticable difference
5. a new computer is suggested

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-04-26, 4:50 PM #3
Even with settings all the way down, i think you would have serious FPS issues running DX, but it may be playable. I don't know about Far Cry.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
Scions of Light[/i]
The Never Ending Story Squared[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-04-26, 4:53 PM #4
and unless you plan to uninstall stuff HD space may become an issue

and Far Cry runs ok on weak systems

i managed to get playable framerates out of far cry on my

600MHz Celeron
256MB RAM
64MB GeForce4 MX440SE PCI

not sure about deus ex i only played it on my xbox when i rented it

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-04-26, 4:57 PM #5
I hear the shaders / water / lighting can look really funky on low end systems in Far Cry.

------------------
I check my e-mail.
2004-04-26, 5:00 PM #6
Part of the enjoyment of both of those games is the way they look. You'll be missing out with such a low end system.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-04-26, 5:03 PM #7
yah, one of the few good parts of DX:IW is that it looks absolutely awesome.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
A Knight's Tail
Scions of Light[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-04-27, 3:22 AM #8
I plan to uninstall stuff. As I said above, I don't even know how I got down to only 2 gig free, it baffles me. What I'm mainly shooting for is just to get a feel for the game. I know they both look spectacular, but graphical appeal is somewhat low on the list right now. I want to see gameplay since I find that to be the thing that usually brings me back to a game over and over again. That, and I want to know now if it'll be worth my time to download it. I'm going to have to do it at home on my 56k since I haven't been successful in getting them at school on our T1. They continously die after about 30 minutes of downloading. Quite annoying.

Thanks for the help so far.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-04-27, 3:34 AM #9
It may not look all that great, but Far Cry is very playable on low-end systems.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...
DSettahr's Homepage | Cantina Cloud | Rally NY
2004-04-27, 9:52 AM #10
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to play DX:IW at all. You need a card with pixel shader support I believe.

Far Cry should run, but I'm also not to sure about it.

------------------
[="Mothers stop cooking take off your aprons; Fathers stop looking at every sports station; Take a second, and think of every poor nation." - Nas=]

Massassian since: March 12, 2001
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-04-27, 1:52 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sol:
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to play DX:IW at all. You need a card with pixel shader support I believe.</font>

Ooh, forgot that. He speaks the truth. A pixel shader capable card is necessary to run the game at all.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
Scions of Light[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-04-27, 5:14 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Noble Outlaw:
Ooh, forgot that. He speaks the truth. A pixel shader capable card is necessary to run the game at all.

</font>

oh yeah now i remember... so yeah you are screwed on DX2... i was gonna download the demo but i learned that and decided not to even bother

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
2004-04-27, 5:21 PM #13
Yes, many people were angry with the Devs for doing that.

------------------
-Outlaw Star
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
Scions of Light[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2004-04-27, 5:46 PM #14
Yes to DX:IW. (my bad, pixel shading is a must, wasn't aware the 7500 didnt support this). Far Cry? GAHAHAHAHAHA. Sure, it'll be playable, but it'll look so fugly you'll just break down looking at it. Spend the $50 for some new RAM, $50 - $100 on a new CPU, and the $150 - $200 for a new video card if you want to play it that bad. Btw, wasn't try to be insulting, but FarCry just sucks the soul out of your PC to be able to run decent. But still, good luck if you do end up buying it.

[This message has been edited by JASRCC_Uber0010 (edited April 27, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by JASRCC_Uber0010 (edited April 27, 2004).]
GOOGLE FIND THESE SITES PLEASE KTHXBYE
http://www.stevebcartoons.com
http://www.kingcola.com
2004-04-27, 8:56 PM #15
Well, on my computer which runs a AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (1833 mhz), 512 MBs of DDR RAM, and uses a Geforce FX 5600XT with 256 RAM, FarCry ran fine at a resolution of 800x600 (I got about 50-60 fps) but DX:IW didn't fare too good. It ran sluggishly with a fps of 20-30 fps, even with bloom off and on low settings. I hope my system specs gives you an idea of how powerful your system needs to be to run the game and yes - you NEED a card that supports Pixel shaders for DX:IW. I remember back when I have my GeForce4 MX card and I tried to run it. I couldn't because the MX cards don't support pixel shaders.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://www.savagex.net
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-04-28, 3:50 AM #16
So what is the overall verdict here?

It's pointless to even bother with DX: IW and alost but not quite pointless to bother with FarCry?

These aren't must have items for me, I'm merely curious about them. And, for the record, I'm too poor at the moment to afford a new computer, or even a new graphics card for that matter.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
Last Stand
2004-04-28, 5:46 AM #17
One big selling point of FarCry is the graphics engine. If you buy FarCry with that system, your not going to be able to experience the game the way it was meant to be. At best on a 7500, it'll probably look about the same quality as Half-Life, maybe a tier above.
GOOGLE FIND THESE SITES PLEASE KTHXBYE
http://www.stevebcartoons.com
http://www.kingcola.com
2004-04-28, 5:42 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JASRCC_Uber0010:
One big selling point of FarCry is the graphics engine. If you buy FarCry with that system, your not going to be able to experience the game the way it was meant to be. At best on a 7500, it'll probably look about the same quality as Half-Life, maybe a tier above.</font>

do not compare far cry on low to HL...

[http://members.aol.com/DrkJedi82/farcry/1.jpg]
[http://members.aol.com/DrkJedi82/farcry/2.jpg]

HL does not look this good (note: this is it running on my weak system)

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!

↑ Up to the top!