Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Hardware advice
Hardware advice
2004-04-29, 5:21 AM #1
I need more space on my HD.
it's 60GB and I'm currently useing 55 of 'em.

I want to get a second HD but I know very little about them.

So I want advice,
What do I need to know about adding a HD?

My Specs Here

Also, what's a good price range for a 60, or so, GB HD?

------------------
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."

Grace is the Pleasure of God to magnify the Worth of God by
enabling sinners to delight in God without compromising the Glory of God.
-J. Piper
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2004-04-29, 5:39 AM #2
I take it your current HD is an IDE 7200 RPM? You can grab an IDE 160 GB Maxtor for $100 with free Fedex Super Saving Shipping below, and it has a 3 year manufacturer warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-137-132&depa=0

Hell, just do a search on www.newegg.com or www.zipzoomfly.com (googlegear). Both are great/reliable vendors.

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)
2004-04-29, 6:05 AM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MentatMM:
I take it your current HD is an IDE 7200 RPM? You can grab an IDE 160 GB Maxtor for $100 with free Fedex Super Saving Shipping below, and it has a 3 year manufacturer warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-137-132&depa=0

Hell, just do a search on www.newegg.com or www.zipzoomfly.com (googlegear). Both are great/reliable vendors.

</font>

I second this. I have this exact harddrive for data storage. It's a great drive. No problems yet.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-04-29, 10:25 AM #4
Thanks, although my HD is a Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM.

does that make a difference?

------------------

Grace is the Pleasure of God to magnify the Worth of God by
enabling sinners to delight in God without compromising the Glory of God.
-J. Piper
2004-04-29, 10:42 AM #5
IDE refers to the way it's connected to the motherboard. Putting in a new hard drive is pretty much plug in, instal any software you need to then partition, which is really easy.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-04-29, 10:42 AM #6
That just means it transfers data at 100mb/s. It is still IDE, guarenteed. Good luck getting a high capacity drive to show up in windows as 160, my 160 is only showing up as a 127, cause of 48 bit LBA crap in xp. SP1 is supposed to fix it, but it didnt, thanks microsoft! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

↑ Up to the top!