Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I have lost all respect for my college teachers...
I have lost all respect for my college teachers...
2003-12-16, 9:07 AM #1
Firstly, I am a special needs student. I have tourette's syndrome, a learning disability, slight OCD and ADD..

I e-mailed my one teacher at the beginning of the second half of the first semester of college to explain my situation to him, as well as my family problems at home. He basicaly told me that there was nothing he was willing to do, and outright said "Too bad".

Then, just last week at exams, I had three on Friday.. So I went to the one teachers office to see if I could write my exam later, and he wasn't even there, when he should have been. I went back 4 times in 3 hours yet nobody was there, but the assigments were on his desk ready to be marked, as well as the door was open and lights and computers turned on. Nobody was there. So, I told my guidance cousellor about it and she was dumbfounded as to why he'd leave the door open, etc.

Therefore, because of this, I missed my final exam and failed the course.

What's worse, I even e-mailed this one teacher to tell him my situation as well as the situation where I could not find him in his office, yet the door and everything was open and on..AND HE HASNT EVEN EMAILED ME BACK. Marks were due in on Monday, so there's no chance of any make up. And teachers at my college are supposed to by regulation of the college, check their e-mail DAILY, even at home... Its obvious that this teacher either doesn't do that, or doesn't care.

Pisses me off to hell.
2003-12-16, 9:10 AM #2
I have a prejudice. I don't like anyone that is a teacher.
Then maybe once I get to know them I might like them.
I have had many bad experiences with teachers.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2003-12-16, 9:17 AM #3
I've had some really cool teachers. My sec2 math teacher would stall the program for whole classes just so he and I could have big discussions about probability and statistics and such (yeah, he loved me alot [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]). Then my sec4 english teacher let me sleep in class because he knew I was pretty much bilingual. He'd wake me up when there was a test or something important. And then my sec 4 physics teacher and sec5 economy teacher.. well, they were just cool. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2003-12-16, 9:21 AM #4
Submit a formal complaint. You shouldn't have to put up with that junk.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov

Never tickle the third foot!
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2003-12-16, 9:35 AM #5
don't take this as an insult, i'm just curious. if you were not able to write your exam, why didn't that keep you from being able to look and wait for your professor? i don't know much about tourettes(sp?), so what about it keeps you from being able to take your exam??

anyway, sorry to hear it. i really hope something can be done to fix this for you.

------------------
Truth is in the eye of the beholder.
Forum Rules
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2003-12-16, 9:43 AM #6
Why did you wait until the day of the exam to meet with your professor? You should have set something up with him weeks ago to explain your problem in person. As for the teacher not being in his office, don't assume that all of your professors have your special needs on their minds at all times- they have many other students. You are the only one who can ensure your success in school, don't rely on other people to fix things for you.

------------------
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

[This message has been edited by CygnusX (edited December 16, 2003).]
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
2003-12-16, 10:51 AM #7
Isn't there some sort of deal at your school that special needs students get extra time with doctor apporval and such? If they do, go to the admin office or the dean for that part of the school and file a complaint.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2003-12-16, 10:53 AM #8
In most places you simply go to your guidance councellor, fill out a form and they make sure that all of your instructors for each semister know ahead of time that your a special need student. This drammatically simplifies the entire process. Obviously there are staff members at your school that arn't doing their job. I wouldn't go around pointing fingers, but I would make an appointment with the Dean of Studen Affairs and discuss the situation with them.

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
Math is infinitely finite, while the universe is finitely infinite. PI = QED
2003-12-16, 11:33 AM #9
I've never really been treated unfairly by a teacher.

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2003-12-16, 11:36 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Temperamental:
I e-mailed my one teacher at the beginning of the second half of the first semester of college to explain my situation to him, as well as my family problems at home. He basicaly told me that there was nothing he was willing to do, and outright said "Too bad".
</font>

That was probably the wrong way to go about it. I teach at my uni and there is nothing we can do unless there is a formal acknowledgement of special needs, otherwise this could be considered as favouritism. In your situation, it probably would have gone over better if you had spoken to him personally regarding your needs. People will try numerous things to get away with stuff and the teacher is under no obligation to help unless you provide them with proof.

As for the three exams on one day issue, most universities will allow you to change the time of an exam if you have more than 3 within 2 days (or something similar), but you have to go through the proper channels, rocking up on the day of the exam and asking to do it later isn't going to work.

Frankly I think your guidance counsellor has more to answer for than your teacher. If she didn't make you aware of the proper way to get special consideration then its a balls up on her part.
2003-12-16, 2:05 PM #11
Yeah. Most professors just suck. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] Sorry to hear about that. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2003-12-16, 2:23 PM #12
Agreed, 99% of my instructors have been utterly crappy.
2003-12-16, 2:47 PM #13
I've had no complaints about my Lecturers since getting to uni (apart from some terribly boring topics, but that's not their fault) - and I'm bouncing through my 3rd year!

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2003-12-16, 3:06 PM #14
Most of my eight grade teachers liked me at the beggining and couldnt stand me at the end.

On the other hand. KEEP BEGGING and be a real pain so that you can take the final and be happy. No one should have to put up with that and have that on there solders at chrismas time.

-Xizor

------------------
Here Ociffer, hold my beer while i look for my license.
*Remnant Temple beta taking a bit longer than planned but ill get it done*
Light And Darkness
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2003-12-16, 5:15 PM #15
at the collage i'm going to next year... the Calclous professor was on ESPN, winning a Scrabble tournment.... his total winnings in this (er...) sport totals over $150,000. i'm scrued if i get in his class (just think of my grammer & spelling)

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2003-12-16, 5:37 PM #16
I know how you feel, tempermental.

------------------
Prowling out of the tundra, swinging a jeweled meat hammer, cometh Outlaw Torn! And he gives a gutteral bellow:

"I'm seriously going to hump you until you scream like a banshee!"
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve
2003-12-16, 7:49 PM #17
Thanx for agreein with me [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

About the whole waiting thing...

This course is online, and I DID e-mail my teacher before and he didn't get back to me, just like the situation here. He is rarely at the school, but when he is, he is supposed to be in his office. Our school isn't exactly the most business talented people, so things are run kind of off balance. For instance, I ended up paying last year for a course I never even ended up taking, but later got that back. And my disability forms somehow got lost. Long story short, the school I go to has lost everything, screwed up something, or not been there when they shoul dhave been many many times in the past. So this doesn't surprise me, however it DOES piss me off.

And they didn't evne let us know the times of our exams until the week OF them. Don't ask why, but they wouldn't tell us.
2003-12-16, 8:35 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Temperamental:
Firstly, I am a special needs student. I have tourette's syndrome, a learning disability, slight OCD and ADD..
</font>

Wow... nice to know that another Massassian has the disorder. Not sure if I made it clear but *I* also have that disorder as well. I was forced to go through Special Ed in my early years because the teachers back then didn't know that I had the disorder and thought I was merely a "slow learner". Now, however, I'm doing quite fine and I can keep my ticks under control about 90% of the time. I usually mask my ticks with grunts and coughs (just trying to make it look like I'm just clearing my throat). I don't have a really bad case of it so I don't do things like cuss at random or scream like some really bad cases of TS suffers have.

About you situation with the teacher - I think it would have been best to have schedule some kind of appointment with him before the final exam. Emailing him is usually not the best way to do it - you should always try to meet with them in person. Also, you should get a hold of the office hours that your teachers have because not all teachers go hang out in their offices whenever they aren't teaching.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://www.savagex.net
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2003-12-17, 11:03 AM #19
Yeah, mine are a little different from yours. I have motor tic's. My eyes blink and I do facial tic's a lot. Sometimes it can get bad, like when I am tired or under stress. But yeah, still no e-mail...

↑ Up to the top!