Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Annoying PC problems.
Annoying PC problems.
2004-04-29, 12:12 PM #1
I just spent the whole evening trying to get my new SB Live 5.1 working correctly. It would not play through the subwoofer, just the 5 speakers. After hours of trying different things mentioned on the creative forums and various google searches I decided to go back to the microsoft driver it installed when I first plugged in the card.. and BAM! Everything works great. Microsoft: 1 Creative: 0.

I have annoying little problems which take forever to fix and end up having a really simple/obvious answer.

To give this thread a point post your experiences of annoying pc problems.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-04-29, 12:19 PM #2
Have new laptop - the "\" key falls off.

Arse.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-04-29, 12:22 PM #3
I replaced my old 250W PSU with a newer 350W Antec when I realised my computer was having problems after putting in my new 9600XT. My computer kept screwing up even more but I was sure that it was a software problem, so I reformated and reinstalled everything, and the problem persisted. Finally I pulled up Mobo Monitor and noticed that my voltages were really ****ed up. Put the old power supply back in and bingo!

****ing piece of ****.

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-04-29, 12:29 PM #4
When stuff like that happens to me, I uninstall said hardware and start from the beginning. Works all the time for me.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-04-29, 3:18 PM #5
I bought a new monitor for my old computer back then, and when I plugged it in, it just wouldn't work. the power ran fine, just nothing on the screen.

turns out a pin was wrecked, factory lemons suck.

------------------
* Seb goes around singing "I'm too sexy for my body"
* Wolfy goes around singing "I'm too sexy for Seb's body"
* Cave_Demon steals Seb's underwear (underwear stolen: 39)
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-04-29, 3:29 PM #6
Creative drivers sucks. Period.

------------------
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)

B'tduz: A popular dwarfish game which consists of standing a few feet apart and throwing large rocks at one another's head.

"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!" - His Grace His Excellency the Duke of Ankh, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes.

Morituri Nolumus Mori
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2004-04-29, 3:31 PM #7
Micrsoft Drivers are God sometimes.

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-04-30, 3:36 AM #8
I've said it once, I will say it again, creative sounds cards have never quite been plug and play. However, I love my audigy 2 zs even though it took longer to install than any other piece of hardware I have bought recently (that being every part of a computer except the motherboard and floppy).

Put it in the last pci slot for airflow reasons. Windows detected it, drivers corrupted on install. Removed the drivers, rebooted, restarted, windows did not detect the card anymore. Damn you. Took it out, put it in the first slot. Windows did not detect the card. Took it out, put it back in the last slot. Windows detects the card and the drivers install and update properly.

Even through this, I still love it. EAX4.0 and THX support = win.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-04-30, 5:08 AM #9
huh, my audigy 2 installed effortlessly and flawlessly(more than once even). I had problems with it making random screeching noises when I still had my old P2 350mhz but they vanished when I upgraded
2004-04-30, 5:54 AM #10
Most annoying computer problem? Installing the stable release of Debian, which comes with the 2.2 kernel, and then spending a few days to hunt down and install all the packages necessary to recompile the kernel. GCC took me three hours to install last night. I love Linux, don't get me wrong, but I am never installing another stable release for as long as I live. Testing releases only.

Almost forgot one: LiteStep doesn't support drag-and-drop. Grr.

------------------
Our very existence is at stake

[This message has been edited by Ric_Olie (edited April 30, 2004).]
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.

↑ Up to the top!