Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → for school...
for school...
2004-04-27, 10:54 PM #1
I've got to make a presentation in my English class (I live in Germany). I have to tell them something about the candidates for the next election.

It's hard to find a EU-citizen who is pro-Bush, that's why I ask you US-citizens, why someone of you would still vote for Bush.

thx [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
My levels

www.i.hate.matyy.de

pazarol a világ, én meg segitek neki
My levels
2004-04-27, 11:03 PM #2
I don't know if I'll vote for Bush, I just know I won't be voting for Kerry...

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-04-27, 11:08 PM #3
And why? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] I need information... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
My levels

www.i.hate.matyy.de

pazarol a világ, én meg segitek neki
My levels
2004-04-27, 11:17 PM #4
He got the partial birth abortion ban through, and he's still pro-life. Considering the millions of babies being slaughtered each year, I think this is enough to outweigh the harmful things he's done: Patriot Act, Dept. of Homeland Security, etc.

------------------
EvilMagic.net: Brian's Web Log
2004-04-27, 11:17 PM #5
Well, I don't exactly like Bush. I don't like what he's done. But I'm afraid of what Kerry might do. He keeps changing what he says, and it seems like he's trying to trick everyone into voting for him by convincing people he's someone who he is not. I would vote for a libertarian, but I'm almost afraid that the libertarians will be like the green party of the last election, and "steal" votes from Bush, giving Kerry the win. I can honestly say, this isn't an election I'm looking forward to.

------------------
0 of 14.

[This message has been edited by Roach (edited April 28, 2004).]
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-04-28, 12:44 AM #6
For me, its really like trying to choose between the lesser of two evils. I cant say that either would be my first choice, but if I vote for an independant candidate, it would pretty much be a wasted vote seeing as how none of them really stand a chance.

------------------
And everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon...
DSettahr's Homepage | Cantina Cloud
2004-04-28, 1:18 AM #7
Now, I know I'm not in the US, so I don't really have any say in the matter, but I keep wondering when Colin Powell will run for President. Out of the current administration, he's the one I like the most. Sure he'd have to deal with some skeletons in his closet (his My Lai report and whatever else dirt reporters could dig up) but I find him likeable, honest, and he seems to be very skilled at dealing with foreign policy issues. He's a good speaker with real genuine personal conviction. He doesn't come off as a puppet of the cabinet.

[This message has been edited by Daeron the Nerfherder (edited April 28, 2004).]
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-04-28, 4:27 AM #8
I don't want to turn this into a debate, but I wouldn't vote for Bush because of his pro-life stance. Not only has he changed his position at least once, but he has done nothing to restrict abortion. Pushing for and passing a law that you know will be overturned is a political game: Bush threw a bone to his pro-life supporters while ensuring that nothing actually changed.
2004-04-28, 5:39 AM #9
Colin Powell would have all 4 and a half of my votes.

------------------
"I was driving along listening to the radio, when Judas Priest comes on. It was 'You've got another thing coming.' All of a sudden, I enter 'VICE CITY RAMAGE MODE' and nearly ran some guy over"
- ]-[ellequin
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-04-28, 5:44 AM #10
I think the US has the same problem as Britain; there's no-one to vote for.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-04-28, 6:10 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
Colin Powell would have all 4 and a half of my votes.

</font>

I used to really like Colin Powell, but now I'm not so sure anymore. It's been rumored before that he might run for President some day. However, it has been indicated that he has some skeletons in the closet that would prevent him from ever actually running. Oh well.

------------------
"I am downright amazed at what I can destroy with just a hammer."
-Atom and His Package
2004-04-28, 6:22 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
I think the US has the same problem as Britain; there's no-one to vote for.</font>
More likely whoever's running is either Tony Blair, Derrick Smallparty or Keith Party-Upheavel.

------------------
"Apples rule. If it weren't for a conspiracy on the part of fruit manufacturers we'd all have apples."
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-04-28, 8:59 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wuss:
I used to really like Colin Powell, but now I'm not so sure anymore. It's been rumored before that he might run for President some day. However, it has been indicated that he has some skeletons in the closet that would prevent him from ever actually running. Oh well.

</font>

That and he has stated his family fears possibile assassination attempts.

------------------
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-04-28, 9:03 AM #14
He also promised his wife that he would never run for President.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-04-28, 9:08 AM #15
I would vote for Bush because of the aforementioned idea that no one really wants Kerry as president.

However, I will be voting libertarian. Let's get them that 5% so they can get Federal Dollars, even though I think they do already...

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-04-28, 9:10 AM #16
One reason why I might vote for Bush is because he is pumping money into the military. I am going into the ROTC this fall and I might even start Army National Guard this summer, so the more money in the military, the better benefits I get.

------------------
Is Wayne Brady going to have to choke a *****?
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-04-28, 9:11 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
One reason why I might vote for Bush is because he is pumping money into the military. I am going into the ROTC this fall and I might even start Army National Guard this summer, so the more money in the military, the better benefits I get.

</font>

Yeah, except that he cut back on retirement benifits.

------------------
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-04-28, 9:12 AM #18
I agree that Colin Powell would be a good choice for president. However, millions of conservative to reactionary people in the south would be filled with hate at the thought of him, a fair, balanced, and truly rational thinker with astounding talent for foreign policy running for president.

Mylsef, I'll be voting for Kerry. Personally, I would have preffered Al Sharpton (he was the only Dem that ran that you couldn't poke a hole in, which is truly rare in politics), but Kerry still gets a grade of D+ to C-. Bush still gets an E, and voting for a third-party candidate is a non-selective vote against that party's ideological wing (I.E, a vote for Nader goes against the left wing, jsut as votes for Pat Buchanan and Perot hurt the right wing).

------------------
"I know there's got to be some sort of mathematical equation for this sort of thing, but I prefer trial and error. It's one of the advantages of having a socialized health care system."
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-04-28, 9:15 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:
I would vote for Bush because of the aforementioned idea that no one really wants Kerry as president.</font>

While I agree that Kerry would make no great president, he would at least be better than Bush (Kerry would likely result in France, Germany and Russia eing more cooperative), and I know well that we can't simpyl go from a horrific president to a great president in one election; it takes time, and must be done in smaller steps.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:
However, I will be voting libertarian. Let's get them that 5% so they can get Federal Dollars, even though I think they do already...</font>

No, they don't get federal money yet. Only in two presidential elections has a third-party candidate recieved more the 5% of the popular vote: Ross Perot, in 1992 and 1996.

------------------
"I know there's got to be some sort of mathematical equation for this sort of thing, but I prefer trial and error. It's one of the advantages of having a socialized health care system."
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-04-28, 9:16 AM #20
Bush has upset me greatly with the amnesty bill for illegals. At the same time, he won't put the troops/nat. guard on the border to curb the illegal immigrate river. So in the mean time, San Diego, L.A., Riverside, and Orange counties are going to have to deal with with wave after wave of illegals flowing in. I can only imagine the problems NM and TX are going to have.

Still, Bush is much better than Kerry, IMO. Kerry wants to repeal the tax cuts made by Bush and decrease funding for the defense (when they absolutely DO NOT need it). Kerry wants to cut taxes for those who don't really pay taxes yet increase them for the wealthy ones. Punishing success doesn't fuel economies. See California during Davis years for details.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-04-28, 9:16 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It's hard to find a EU-citizen who is pro-Bush, that's why I ask you US-citizens, why someone of you would still vote for Bush.</font>

For many folks, it's less a matter of voting for Bush, and more a matter of voting for a Conservative Republican. There are as many logical reasons to vote for Bush as there are to vote for anyone else. Much of it comes down to your political/economic stances. I don't really see how this would be any different than in any other country.

I'm not sure if I'll vote this time around. I'm not sold on any of the candidates, and I'm not the type of person who chooses a lesser evil. I simply vote when I truly agree with and trust a candidate to be good for this country. Maybe I'll help an independent party receive their 5%.

------------------
http://www.mentatmm.com (Status = Down :/)
2004-04-30, 12:18 PM #22
You could ask my Norwegian social studies teacher, he'd give you all the pro-Bush you'd ever want (I'm an opinional pacifist, though, I try not to have an opinion at all)

------------------
Gandalv the Gray, recieving bans for Christmas since December 2001
No signature for you.
2004-04-30, 1:22 PM #23
if i cared enough to vote, i'd vote Bush because of his anti-abortion stance.

------------------
Truth is in the eye of the beholder.
Forum Rules
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2004-04-30, 2:59 PM #24
Because foreign policy is very important in my mind, especially right now. Bush's foreign policy is centered on political and economic reform in the Muslim world as a means to fight terrorism, which is something I believe in strongly. His execution has not alwas been perfect, but he has shown conviction. Mr Kerry's foreign policy seems to have no real substance of its own other than criticism of Bush, so I find him doubly undesirable.

Domestically I do not really like him at all, except for his pro-free trade stance. But I can overlook that, for now.
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-04-30, 3:21 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalv the Gray:
I'm an opinional pacifist
</font>

You're a thing that babies suck on?

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-04-30, 5:26 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NoESC:
You're a thing that babies suck on?

</font>

"No, that's a *****fist."

"No, you mean pacifier."

<3 RvB.

------------------
Our very existence is at stake
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-04-30, 5:40 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ric_Olie:

"No, you mean pacifier."

<3 RvB.

</font>

o.O You reversed it completely, and censored part of a normal word.

Stop scaring me.

------------------
Map-Review | My Portfolio | The Matrix: Unplugged
2004-04-30, 5:43 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:
Yeah, except that he cut back on retirement benifits.

</font>

shhh. shhh! if he gets to play with a gun, let him have his fun [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-04-30, 5:45 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ric_Olie:

"No, you mean pacifier."

<3 RvB.

</font>

It's

Caboose: You're a thing that babies suck on?
Tucker: No, that's a pedophile.
Church: I think he means 'pacifier', Tucker.
Tucker: Oh man... I was totally thinking about something else.

and then you leave out the '<3' :P

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-04-30, 5:47 PM #30
I apologize. I was completely thinking about something else...er...my memory fails me often.

------------------
Our very existence is at stake
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.

↑ Up to the top!