Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Splinter cell: Chaos Theory
Splinter cell: Chaos Theory
2005-04-01, 4:37 PM #1
Is there going to be a CD release eventually? I'd rather not have to buy a DVD drive just for one game.

My original plan was to download the game from a torrent and buy the DVD release and just use the CD key, but I can't find a torrent that works. :/
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-04-01, 4:45 PM #2
Uh...warez?

Amazon says there will be.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-01, 4:46 PM #3
Not really. When you buy a game, you're not really buying the software data, you're buying your right to own it. Doesn't matter how you install it.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2005-04-01, 4:47 PM #4
Eh. Point conceded.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-01, 5:03 PM #5
I think the more important question is: why don't you have a DVD drive? They've come standard in computers for like the last five years...
Stuff
2005-04-01, 5:20 PM #6
Because I build my own computers, and I haven't needed a DVD drive until now.
2005-04-01, 7:41 PM #7
I'd get one...much more convenient, if nothing else.
D E A T H
2005-04-01, 7:45 PM #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-04-01, 7:49 PM #9
Well, I don't feel like paying 200$ just to be able to play a game.
2005-04-01, 7:58 PM #10
$52 for a dvd-rw drive
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-152-035&DEPA=1
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-04-01, 8:06 PM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by Compos Mentis
$52 for a dvd-rw drive

Find me something like that in Canada and hell I'll buy I dvd drive!
My New Website
I AM CANADIAN! And you're not!

I'm a Ninja... A Kawaski Ninja

Get Firefox!
2005-04-01, 8:20 PM #12
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor

$200? Methinks you better recheck that.

Regular DVD drives are like $30. Burners are not much more.
2005-04-01, 8:24 PM #13
Quote:
$52 for a dvd-rw drive

Convert that to canadian currency, add taxes, then add 67$ for splinter cell itself, and you've got about 200$

As for read-only DVD drives, I know they exist in theory, but I can't find a single store that has one.
2005-04-01, 8:25 PM #14
Or you could cut about 30 bucks off the price tag and get a normal run of the mill DVDROM.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-134-012&depa=1

While I don't know hardly ANYTHING about Flex's situation, and while being able to burn DVDs is nice, I really DOUBT he needs that ability.

I could, however, be wrong.

Still, it's up to him. The only real reason I got a DVD drive for my computer was so I could watch movies back here. My computer has essentially become my room's entertainment system. Music, Movies, TV, 5.1 Surround, Games, Xbox, plus all the other joys that you normally get from a computer.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2005-04-01, 8:25 PM #15
well torrents usually sort themselves out in a couple of days, so I'd probably just sit tight for a couple of days.
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-04-01, 8:34 PM #16
Quote:
well torrents usually sort themselves out in a couple of days, so I'd probably just sit tight for a couple of days.

Probably the best idea. The game just came out, after all.
2005-04-01, 8:49 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexor

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1160788&CatId=482

That's a DVD-RW drive, not even a DVD-ROM.

I think you'll find it much more useful than you would've thought.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1226532&CatId=475 DVD-ROM

More like...90-100 CAD. Not abd considering you'd then have a quality DVD drive.
D E A T H
2005-04-01, 8:55 PM #18
Where are you in canada? cause if your in a large city, you can find deals in little computer shops all over. In toronto there is some deals in China town... may breakdown quickly or be stolen... but you've got a DVD drive, rather cheap. there's also a place downtown a friend told me about where there is like 20 computer stores practicly beside each other... privatly owned, not by big companies... so you may get deals. just look around.
The Gas Station
2005-04-02, 10:24 AM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi

QFT
nope.
2005-04-02, 10:27 AM #20
this game will not be cracked for warez. it uses starforce protection. the best they can do is crack it, let you mount an image, and then you have to pull every IDE cable from every CDROM drive you have.

That said, the game is awesome and worth the $30 drive.
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2005-04-02, 11:05 AM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by oSiRiS
this game will not be cracked for warez. it uses starforce protection. the best they can do is crack it, let you mount an image, and then you have to pull every IDE cable from every CDROM drive you have.

Why would you have to unplug anything? :confused:
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-04-02, 12:01 PM #22
Quote:

Oh how the naive have fallen.

I've personally seen Starforce bent over, and taken to town. Trust me, copy protection in GENERAL nowadays is a joke.

Myth/Reloaded/Deviance own copy protection easily.

The only way Starforce can even own you is if you install a game/app with it on it, and it installs itself. Because it manifests itself in your computer...and is hard to get out.
D E A T H
2005-04-02, 6:20 PM #23
Quote:

100% agree with Yoshi. How wrong you are.

The same, or extremely close, version of StarForce Protection was hacked in the release of Silent Hunter III by our very own beloved warez group RELOADED. Granted, it took 5 days, but it is definitley done.

Although a NoCD and a cracked release haven't come out yet, someone has already successfuly gotten his game to run without a DVD/CD validation by using modified versions of the image that he made in Alcohol 120%.

Do not doubt my knowledge
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-04-03, 7:58 AM #24
Splinter Cell movie.

http://www.moviesonline.ca/film1620.htm
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
2005-04-03, 8:27 AM #25
You might as well just get a DVD drive, more and more games are going to come out on DVD release until CD is an obsolete format.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2005-04-03, 10:25 AM #26
$35 DVD writer

$35 Iomega Dual DVD DVD+RW/DVD-RW

That's used and USD, though...but it definitely doesn't add up to the $200 you were whining about. :)
woot!

↑ Up to the top!