Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I'm in love with something green
I'm in love with something green
2004-04-30, 9:59 AM #1
Green laser pointer, that is. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

[http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/action/large/21046eb.jpg]
[http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/action/large/2103408.jpg]
[http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/action/large/21033ff.jpg]

Yum!

It brings a tear of joy to my eye. [http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/images/smilies/whine.gif]

------------------
Genesis 22:2-5 - And God said unto Abraham "You must kill your son, Isaac." And Abraham said "What? I can't hear you! You'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said "Check, check, check, check. Jerry, can you pull the high end out. I'm getting some hiss up here."
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness

Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited April 30, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-04-30, 10:03 AM #2
That's pretty damn cool.

------------------
«»The Scratchware Manifesto
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-04-30, 10:05 AM #3
Yeah, but too expensive for a broken flashlight.

------------------
Roach - Caught in the war of hemispheres.
0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-04-30, 10:05 AM #4
I also love green laser.

[http://laserharp.manuel-schulz.com/assets/images/closeup_front.jpg]

Almost green...

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-04-30, 10:05 AM #5
That's pretty nice. I got a rather high-powered red laser on my pen. It's nice to annoy teachers in class. Unfortunatly, it eats through batteries like anything.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
Scions of Light[/i]
The Never Ending Story Squared[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-04-30, 10:08 AM #6
what would be awesome is if those things had an ac adaptor.

The ones that use the coin batteries suck b/c they eat up expensive batteries fast, but the other ones that use AAA batteries aren't so bad, b/c those kind of batteries are cheap.

that last shot looks like someone shot a bowcaster at that guy's face. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

does the beam actually show up like that normally or is it a case of the camera seeing what we can't?

------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited April 30, 2004).]
2004-04-30, 10:09 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Output power of <5mW (Class IIIa Laser Product)</font>

Yeah, baby.

Also (by the looks of it), it appears to take 2 AA batteries, so it'll last longer than those midget, wanna-be laser pointers.

Now if I can just find a blue one.

------------------
Genesis 22:2-5 - And God said unto Abraham "You must kill your son, Isaac." And Abraham said "What? I can't hear you! You'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said "Check, check, check, check. Jerry, can you pull the high end out. I'm getting some hiss up here."

National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-04-30, 10:10 AM #8
Cool

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-04-30, 10:11 AM #9
I'm also in love with something green. It's called 'Massassi'.
2004-04-30, 10:12 AM #10
Apparently.

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-04-30, 10:14 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
does the beam actually show up like that normally or is it a case of the camera seeing what we can't?</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And unlike a red laser, the green beam itself can be seen in mid-air in dark conditions, not just the laser beam dot.</font>

Yay!

I think the flare in the second picture is a result of the camera, though. But green is much brighter than red, so it makes sense that a green laser would be pretty intense. Prepare to go blind! AAAH!! MY EYES!!!

oh.

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-04-30, 10:20 AM #12
But, i prefer people not knowing where it's coming from. Leads to some very funny situations, like about 10 people in my class asking where the laser is coming from until a person notices i've got a smirk on my face (I couldn't help it. it was hilarious)

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Scions of Light[/i]
The Never Ending Story Squared[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-04-30, 10:23 AM #13
I WANT ONE NOW

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-04-30, 10:42 AM #14
I have an interesting thought:
Does this indicate that we are one step closer to lightsaber technology?!

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-04-30, 11:00 AM #15
I want one. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

------------------
I used to believe that we must fight the future, lest change come without our consent. I was wrong. The truth is that we must embrace the future, for only with change can we remain the same.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-04-30, 11:28 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
I have an interesting thought:
Does this indicate that we are one step closer to lightsaber technology?!

</font>

Erm... not really. It was always possible to create multiple color lasers, just never did.

The problem with lightsabers is the fact that they have a fixed length, and their cutting ability and ability to block other lightsabers, among other things.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-04-30, 11:58 AM #17
Man, my laser pointer sucks... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
sig·na·ture n.

A distinctive mark, characteristic, or sound indicating identity.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2004-04-30, 12:12 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cool Matty:
It was always possible to create multiple color lasers, just never did.

</font>

Not so, it took quite a while to get anything other than red. blue came first, then green took even longer. the problem was one of gases or something. i forgot exactly what it was. i read it in an article about the guy that finally came up with the damn things.

------------------
Truth is in the eye of the beholder.
Forum Rules
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2004-04-30, 12:56 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Erm... not really. It was always possible to create multiple color lasers, just never did.</font>
That wasn't my point. The point was that you can see the beam, without passing it through dust or steam or whatnot.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Crimson:
Not so, it took quite a while to get anything other than red. blue came first, then green took even longer. the problem was one of gases or something.</font>
Actually, I think red came first. It was created using a ruby crystal. Other colors could only be created by using various gases. Now, we have laser diodes to create red. Other colors are not yet available as laser diodes.

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-04-30, 2:00 PM #20
I have one of these. It's red. :/ And big.
[http://members.misty.com/don/hene1hps.jpg]

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
HTP
babble, babble, b!tch, b!tch, rebel, rebel, party, party.
2004-04-30, 2:03 PM #21
we are the borg. you will lower your shields and prepair to be boarded. your boilogical and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. your culture will adapt to service us. you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.

------------------
Those silly bullets have minds of their own!
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)-@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-04-30, 2:07 PM #22
where can i get one of those

hell i want 2... it would rock harder than what i used to do as a kid having flashlight lightsaber battles on a foggy night...

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-04-30, 2:19 PM #23
And it's only $120 - wow.

------------------
We are all dying to live, yet living to die...
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-04-30, 2:26 PM #24
You can get them cheaper on e-bay (usually around $60). Personally, I'd just wait until they're in higher supply than they are right now.

Gotta make sure I get one for myself, first. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Also at the site above, they have a combo red & green laser.

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-04-30, 2:29 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Evad:
I have one of these. It's red. :/ And big.</font>
And I bet it gets hot, too.

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-04-30, 2:34 PM #26
I got like 8 free laser pointers, to make a story short, free from some electronic company.

I don't know what to do with them. :/

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

------@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-04-30, 2:38 PM #27
Give them to small children so they can blind each other.

[note: don't actually do this.]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-04-30, 4:15 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
I got like 8 free laser pointers, to make a story short, free from some electronic company.

I don't know what to do with them. :/

</font>

I'll be happy to take one off your hands. I'm completely serious about this, that is, if you want to give them away. Just tell me here or give me a shout over email, my current account is in my profile.

------------------
Frogblast the Vent Core!

--End of Line--
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-04-30, 5:21 PM #29
That's real nice. I've seen those on ThinkGeek for around $120 or so. My physics instructor has a green laser, but it's weak so you can't see the beam. When we were doing the carbon-fiber layup of our solar car body, we found a nice big laser in the lab. We shined it around for a while, but not for long as it was a class 3b laser, and we didn't want it in anybody's eyes.

------------------
Our very existence is at stake
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-04-30, 5:26 PM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:
we are the borg. you will lower your shields and prepair to be boarded. your boilogical and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. your culture will adapt to service us. you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.

</font>

All that from a laser pointer eh [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
<Outlaw_Torn> you mean your related to that damned sasquatch, Mech?
<MechWarrior> Lets just say the part of the family tree that does fork has bossy the goat in it.

<ubuu> does hitler have a last name?
2004-04-30, 5:27 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alpha1:

</font>

...wtf?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

------@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-04-30, 6:03 PM #32
Get a blue one. That'll impress me more. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
1337 suxx0rz

Council of 21

Need cheap web hosting? Well then lookie here! :)
http://www.out-post.net/index.php?action=hostingplans
Mmmm.
2004-04-30, 6:04 PM #33
I'm in love with something that occasionally wears green. Well, I'm even in love with it when it doesn't

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-04-30, 6:09 PM #34
[http://www.redlucite.org/recent/gumby.jpg]
Oh shoot, I thought there was finally a thread about Gumby... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Fear, It Controls The Fearful. The Strong. The Weak. The Innocent. Fear Is My Ally!

The Arcane Sith
2004-04-30, 6:18 PM #35
>.>
<.<

------------------
"It's OK for us to randomly attack people!"
-BV

o.0
2004-04-30, 7:23 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
Actually, I think red came first.

</font>

That's what I said.

------------------
Truth is in the eye of the beholder.
Forum Rules
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2004-04-30, 7:28 PM #37
Pfft. Only when you have a 5 Watt laser will I be impressed. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-04-30, 7:39 PM #38
We sell em at Fry's Electronics. Never knew they looked like that. Might have to pick one up.

------------------
The Matrix is not Linux compatible.
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2004-04-30, 7:54 PM #39
i won't be impressed until you use a laser to "cook" a giant bag of jiffy pop in someone's house causing the house to fall apart

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-04-30, 8:33 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
I'll be happy to take one off your hands. I'm completely serious about this, that is, if you want to give them away. Just tell me here or give me a shout over email, my current account is in my profile.

</font>

What he said.

------------------
Moo.
Moo.

↑ Up to the top!