Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Asian movies: Sub or Dub?
Asian movies: Sub or Dub?
2005-04-04, 8:05 PM #1
I just got done watching the Korean War movie Tae Guk Gi. Every time I watch an Asian movie I have to decide if I want to watch it in English, or with subtitles. I've found subtitles are the best way to go. (That's how I watched Tae Guk Gi. *sigh* I was crying at the end.)
I guess it doesn't have to be Asian movies. That's just the only thing I've really seen that's given me the choice of English or subtitled.
2005-04-04, 8:06 PM #2
Subtitles. I never trust a dub. Dubs look and sound cheesey, and half the time they slaughter the translation to make it fit better.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-04-04, 8:07 PM #3
Subs are the way to go.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-04-04, 8:07 PM #4
Redone on a computer with Steve Oedekirk playing the main character and doing all the voices.
Stuff
2005-04-04, 8:12 PM #5
Subs unless it's say, a Jackie Chan movie. Then it doesn't matter.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-04-04, 8:38 PM #6
I usually steer clear of Asian cinema.
2005-04-04, 8:47 PM #7
Subtitles. People who watched dubbed movies need to be sissyslapped.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-04-04, 8:49 PM #8
definately subtitles.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-04-04, 8:52 PM #9
Subs in most cases, though in few (like Chan, said above) call for dubs.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-04-04, 8:54 PM #10
Subtitles by FAR[/b].
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-04-04, 8:59 PM #11
First of all, what the heck does the original language have to do with it?
Ok moving along...
If the dub is good, there's NO reason to prefer subtitles.

I know as an anime watcher many people are sub fanatics, but I really don't see the reason. Dubs, if done correctly >>>>>>>>>> reading a bunch of text at bottom of screen.

But if the dubs suck, subs are good. You can still caption the emotion, tone, etc of the original words.
2005-04-04, 9:03 PM #12
We're talking about Asian cinema, Mr King. Good Asian dubs are like Steven Segal and plot; they just dont appear in the same movie.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-04-04, 9:04 PM #13
Depends. If I'm trying to watch a serious movie, then subtitles. But for funny movies dub can be pretty good. :)

It's not Asian, but I was watching Univision earlier (Spanish channel here, dunno if it shows elsewhere) and they were showing Home Alone. Most of the voices were alright but one kid was way off. Not Macaulay Culkin but one of his siblings, runs up and says something in a deep man's voice. I swear they do it on purpose half the time.
2005-04-04, 9:09 PM #14
Dubs. If I wanted to read, I would have bought the book
2005-04-04, 9:12 PM #15
spork check your PM's :)
2005-04-04, 9:16 PM #16
Definately subtitles.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2005-04-04, 9:18 PM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Spork
We're talking about Asian cinema, Mr King. Good Asian dubs are like Steven Segal and plot; they just dont appear in the same movie.

hehe

Yea, point.. I'll agree with ya on that.
But yea, my point is true, no?
2005-04-05, 12:56 AM #18
Subtitles all the way.

The fact I don't understand the speech doesn't matter at all. It still sounds cool - and original. Especially with Asian movies.

In fact, I hate dubbing. I feel I'm missing something of the original movie.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-04-05, 1:45 AM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by SAJN_Master
Subtitles. I never trust a dub. Dubs look and sound cheesey, and half the time they slaughter the translation to make it fit better.

Something like "You have no chance to survive make your time." ?
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2005-04-05, 2:51 AM #20
Subs... duh.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-04-05, 3:06 AM #21
I really don't care if it's an asian movie or whatever as I don't watch asian live-action except the occasional Jackie Chan.

Just watching anime I much prefer subs to dubs because the original voices are always nicer to hear. They tend to capture more emotion than dubs can, especially when most people whom do dubs probably don't care about what they're dubbing.

Plus it's very rare for them to get voices that match up perfectly with all the actors, it's really annoying.

Eventually when you really get into subtitles, you start to not even notice you're reading.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-04-05, 3:39 AM #22
Definetly Subtitles for foreign movies. But for Cartoons, I used to watch Astro Boy when I was a kid, without even realizing it was dubbed. It barely matters to me with most cartoons.
2005-04-05, 6:54 AM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by Emon
Subs unless it's say, a Jackie Chan movie. Then it doesn't matter.

Yes

Quote:
Originally posted by kyle90
Redone on a computer with Steve Oedekirk playing the main character and doing all the voices.

And also yes. :p
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2005-04-05, 7:48 AM #24
Subs, a watched a dubbed jackie chan movie, couldn't stand it
nope.
2005-04-05, 8:35 AM #25
Subs, definitely...

But, then, a large part of the reason I enjoy watching foreign films is that I love listening to the original language.

If I have time, I watch it 2 times to get the conversation mostly memorized, then turn off subs and watch it in the original. Very fun.
2005-04-05, 9:41 AM #26
Quote:
Originally posted by tofu
I usually steer clear of Asian cinema.

steer clear of Asain women too, more for the rest of us.

I prefer Subs. I like to know what they're actually saying!
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-04-05, 9:54 AM #27
Oh my, Tae Guk Gi. I'd have to look hard to find a more melodramatic movie, even for a war movie :) Very formulaic, predictable, and overblown. Still interesting because of how they managed to make it look more expensive than it was with their 19million dollar budget (except for the crappy looking CG'd F4U Corsairs at the end battle). Nicely aped post-SavingPrivateRyan desaturated shaky combat footage and tight head-ducking inducing sound editing.

Subs. Everytime. Unless we're deliberately watching crap cheapo ninja movies from the 80's where the acting is so bad it hurts anyway. In which case I usually don't even have much of a choice.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2005-04-05, 11:09 AM #28
Ok, people answer me this:

If the dub is *actually* (A far strech, I know, but go with me on this one) GOOD, same quality as the original, would you still prefer subs?
2005-04-05, 11:45 AM #29
I can't stand dubbing in a live action movie. I don't care if it is just as good as the original voices, the lips not syncing up really bothers me. I'll watch animation dubbed, but it is very rare for the dub to be as good as the original voices, so I usually watch my animation subtitled.
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2005-04-05, 11:53 AM #30
Almost every movie I've seen have been subbed. I can't stand seeing a movie without subs :p
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2005-04-05, 11:55 AM #31
dubs kick ***, they make any movie a comedy.
2005-04-05, 12:31 PM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel King
Ok, people answer me this:

If the dub is *actually* (A far strech, I know, but go with me on this one) GOOD, same quality as the original, would you still prefer subs?

It is impossible to reach the same level of quality. For example, the chinese language has many complex that are of great elegance gets ****ed up in translation. ESPECIALLY for Kung Fu. techniques and the alike.
\(='_'=)/
2005-04-05, 1:37 PM #33
i would have to agree with Emon, subs unless its jackie chan
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob

↑ Up to the top!