Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → New GMail features?
New GMail features?
2005-04-05, 2:40 PM #1
Didn't see a topic about this so....
NEW GMAIL FEATURES!!

G is for growth
Storage is an important part of email, but that doesn't mean you should have to worry about it. To celebrate our one-year birthday, we're giving everyone one more gigabyte. But why stop the party there? Our plan is to continue growing your storage beyond 2GBs by giving you more space as we are able. We know that email will only become more important in people's lives, and we want Gmail to keep up with our users and their needs. From Gmail, you can expect more.

We're not in the plains anymore
Fonts, bullets and highlighting, oh my! Gmail now offers rich text formatting. And over 60 colors of the rainbow. Discover a land of more than just black and white. Learn more

http://www.google.com/gmail/help/whatsnew.html
complete list of new added features

Quote:
You are currently using 10 MB (1%) of your 2061 MB.

Just in case anyone missed it, or doesn't have a gmail account but might want one now.

I have 50 invites, pm me if you want one :)
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-04-05, 2:46 PM #2
...how are they going to be able to support that much space??? :eek: Not that I'm complaining... :)
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-04-05, 2:47 PM #3
*sigh* Did I know post this in the other thread about Google? YES. Old news.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2005-04-05, 2:50 PM #4
Quote:
Originally posted by Oxyonagon
*sigh* Did I know post this in the other thread about Google? YES. Old news.

didn't realize, I apologize.
go ahead and lock this thread if anyone wishes to, old nooz
</sarcasm>
2005-04-05, 2:51 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill
...how are they going to be able to support that much space??? :eek: Not that I'm complaining... :)

Um, it's not that hard really.
Look back to the early 90's, those 2 megs you got cost just as much as the 2 gigs now probably. Storage is much cheaper now. Ok, so not as that cheap, but really, it isn't that big of a deal.
2005-04-05, 2:51 PM #6
Wait.. wait.. this is in effect NOW? Already? ANOTHER WHOLE GIGABYTE?! WTFH?!?!?!!?!?!?!? !? :D :eek:

:eek:
:eek::eek:
:eek::eek::eek:
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-04-05, 2:59 PM #7
All of april first, every minute your storage went up 1 meg. Kind of cool, I watched it increase all day :)
</sarcasm>
2005-04-05, 3:01 PM #8
First off, its probably not that big a deal because how many of us have reached our 1 gig limit already? At my current rate of recieving emails, its going to take me at least 70 years before I hit the 1 gig limit. Because they already offer so much space, just because they offer more space doesnt mean people are going to use it.

Secondly, I highly doubt that they dont use some sort of compression. When they say you are using a certain amount of space, your files probably dont actually take up that much space on the server's hard drive.
2005-04-05, 3:17 PM #9
Quote:
You are currently using 5 MB (0%) of your 2062 MB.

Honestly, I think they should have stuck with 1GB. The likelihood that most e-mail users will fill a gig up is HIGHLY unlikely.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-04-05, 3:23 PM #10
That's exactly why they increased it! Because probably less than 0.5% of gmail users will fill the space.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-04-05, 3:26 PM #11
It's a gimmick. And I love it. :)

I watched that counter go from 1 gig to 2 gigs practically all afternoon on April 1st.
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2005-04-05, 3:26 PM #12
So they give you double the space just for an aesthetically pleasing feeling?
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-04-05, 3:52 PM #13
Naw... to make Yahoo and MSN squirm... Mwha!
2005-04-05, 5:12 PM #14
I didn't notice that I had a 2GB storage space until today.
2005-04-05, 6:24 PM #15
It's not size that matters, it's how you use it....
2005-04-05, 6:49 PM #16
Yeah but when you can't use it it's fun to say, "Just look at the size of that thing!"
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-04-05, 7:20 PM #17
I've got the biggest "amount of memory" on all of massassi!
2005-04-05, 7:23 PM #18
Yea, I got like unlimited room. Mail account for my webpage :) 30 gigs.

↑ Up to the top!