Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Pictures of my totaled car... plus new car options.
Pictures of my totaled car... plus new car options.
2005-04-06, 10:15 PM #1
Finally got some pictures up of my old Mustang that recently got into a wreck and was considered a total loss by my insurance company.

Car shopping sucks, by the way. Although, just like this car, my Dad may have found another great buy. He found a 2004 Silver V6 Mustang, with 25K miles, single owner, and the 40th Year Anniversary package, in like-new condition for $12,000.

My other option being a brand-new '05 Hyundai Tiburon V6, with a sun-roof, in a color I'll like more, for about $16,500. Honestly, I'm stuck in between. I don't like Silver as a car color, but the Mustang is a great deal, especially with that 40th Year Anniversary package. I thought the Tiburon had better handling, and it also has front-wheel drive instead of rear-wheel drive like on the Mustang. Never did like that too much because it almost made them a death trap when the road was wet. However, the '04 Mustang has 4-wheel ABS, which the Tiburon does not until you get the SE package, which would be a lot more expensive.

Anyway, suggestions helpful, and finally, the pictures of my poor Mustang:

[http://home.austin.rr.com/depti/mustang98_1.JPG]

[http://home.austin.rr.com/depti/mustang98_2.JPG]

[http://home.austin.rr.com/depti/mustang98_3.JPG]

You can see in the picture where the other guy's bumper scraped across the top of mine and went directly into the hood. You can also see in the second picture where the side panel slid back underneath the door panel, which made the driver side door un-openable. What you DON'T see, is how the actual frame around the engine bent upwards and into a curve, which I believe was the main reason it was considered "totaled."
<Lyme> I got Fight Club for 6.98 at walmart.
<Black_Bishop> I am Jack's low price guarantee
2005-04-06, 10:24 PM #2
aww... how sad. such a work of art destroyed.

Can you post a picture of the whole car by chance?
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-04-06, 10:28 PM #3
I would recommend against the V6 Mustang, unless you're just looking for any somewhat sporty car to drive around.

You can easily find a 96-98 Cobra in that price range. :)

My Corolla is fairly competitive with a V6 'stang..so if I were to get one, it'd be at /least/ a GT. Then again, insurance would probably be ridiculous.

$0.02 :)
woot!
2005-04-06, 10:28 PM #4
It's scary that that is considered a total loss.
Pissed Off?
2005-04-06, 10:36 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by CadetLee
I would recommend against the V6 Mustang, unless you're just looking for any somewhat sporty car to drive around.

You can easily find a 96-98 Cobra in that price range. :)

My Corolla is fairly competitive with a V6 'stang..so if I were to get one, it'd be at /least/ a GT. Then again, insurance would probably be ridiculous.

$0.02 :)

Well, I like the newer body style a whole lot better. Not to mention, yes, insurance would kill me. It's already killing me even with a V6, which is why I'm probably gonna do the Mustang over the Tiburon, to save money. Maybe with this one I can finally do a Saleen replica, but in the end I'll probably end up painting it another color.
2005-04-06, 10:37 PM #6
Yeah... That doesnt look so bad. But I'm guessing it's not just superficial damage.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-04-06, 10:43 PM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by Spork
Yeah... That doesnt look so bad. But I'm guessing it's not just superficial damage.

Well, the payoff for that is gonna be $7000, which is not bad considering the $8600 we bought it for about three years ago. Yeah, taking into acount the structual damage as well as cosmetic, it would cost less to do it this way. Not to mention that Geico now owns the car and can auction it off as spare parts as well.
2005-04-07, 6:59 AM #8
Do this: Get a 2000-2001 Tiburon for between $6k-8k, then turbocharge it for $3k. You'd still have enough left over for extra upgrades.
2005-04-07, 7:18 AM #9
You know, in some countries RWD + loss of traction is considered a good thing...

[http://img166.exs.cx/img166/4474/rs9wy.jpg]
2005-04-07, 7:21 AM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by GHORG
You know, in some countries RWD + loss of traction is considered a good thing...

[IMG] [url]http://img166.exs.cx/img166/4474/rs9wy.jpg[/url] [/IMG]

But not when I crawl off from a stop sign making a left when it's raining, fish tail and bash my ****ing rim into the curb.
2005-04-07, 7:54 AM #11
Quote:
Originally posted by JudgeDredd
But not when I crawl off from a stop sign making a left when it's raining, fish tail and bash my ****ing rim into the curb.

Easy on the gas. ;)

The main downsides of FWD are weight transfer (if you race, the weight goes back on your launch..pulling weight off the drive wheels) and horrific understeering under power (if you have any sort of power behind the car, stomp on the gas in a corner. Unless you have an LSD, you're going straight.)
woot!
2005-04-07, 8:06 AM #12
Don't get a V6! And especially don't spend that much for one with 25000 on it. I bought mine, a 2000 GT w/ 23000 for only 13000. GT is worth $1000, trust me.
Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween because Oct31 == Dec25
2005-04-07, 8:09 AM #13
Quote:
Originally posted by GHORG

[http://img166.exs.cx/img166/4474/rs9wy.jpg]

woot canberra.

also, boo, burnout doing person.

canberra, the pr0n (only place that can legal sell it as well as brothels being legal, illegal car racing/burout (due to a lack of a place where it can be done legally, and politiclal capital of australia.

also, we normal canberrans seem to get blamed for the things that the fedral government does.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-04-07, 10:01 AM #14
What,
were ya playin' Twisted Metal 'r somethin'?
|-|E|_|_O
2005-04-07, 10:03 AM #15
[http://www.bugalood.be/images/tutoriaux/photoshop/screening/Kitt.jpg]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-04-07, 10:32 AM #16
Quote:
Originally posted by Otterbine
Don't get a V6! And especially don't spend that much for one with 25000 on it. I bought mine, a 2000 GT w/ 23000 for only 13000. GT is worth $1000, trust me.

Not for me it isn't. Not when my insurance would be about $300 more per 6 monthes if I had a GT. I'll save my money for college, and get a nice car after I'm making so much more money. Not to mention I'm sure they were a lot of changes between 2000 models and 2004 as far as safety + engine.
2005-04-07, 11:02 AM #17
Quote:
Originally posted by JudgeDredd Not to mention I'm sure they were a lot of changes between 2000 models and 2004 as far as safety + engine. [/B]

Pretty much the same car.

I'll give my advice when I get home in a few hours.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-04-07, 12:33 PM #18
I would get an ecplipse. Such a sexy car, not a spyder, but a coupe
[http://dyenn.turboblog.fr/photos/uncategorized/mitsubishi_eclipse.jpg]
pretty cheap too(used)
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2005-04-07, 1:00 PM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill
aww... how sad. such a work of art destroyed.

Are you joking...
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-04-07, 2:18 PM #20
Quote:
Originally posted by Ewoklover
http://dyenn.turboblog.fr/photos/uncategorized/mitsubishi_eclipse.jpg
pretty cheap too(used)

Slow rice.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2005-04-07, 2:46 PM #21
Quote:
Originally posted by Malus
Slow rice.

Usually slow, not always rice.

If you're looking at the Tiburon and you want to turbo it (like someone else said) then do not get the V6. You want the 4-cylinder. The V6 was a new engine that was not designed to handle any kind of boost whatsoever. The 4-cylinders, on the other hand, can take it just fine. Plus they're cheaper on payments, insurance, and gas.

Despite what others have said, that is a good price for the Mustang. Even with the mileage.
Little angel go away
Devil has my ear today
2005-04-07, 2:51 PM #22
Quote:
Easy on the gas. ;)

The main downsides of FWD are weight transfer (if you race, the weight goes back on your launch..pulling weight off the drive wheels) and horrific understeering under power (if you have any sort of power behind the car, stomp on the gas in a corner. Unless you have an LSD, you're going straight.)

Truth, which is why my Spec V has an LSD :) Only way I know of to help with the weight transfer is to put super stiff suspension on the rear. Or get adjustable ones so you can be relatively comfortable when you're not racing, then beef it up when you need it.
Little angel go away
Devil has my ear today
2005-04-07, 4:54 PM #23
Quote:
Originally posted by FastGamerr
[http://www.bugalood.be/images/tutoriaux/photoshop/screening/Kitt.jpg]

I second that motion!
Life is beautiful.
2005-04-07, 5:39 PM #24
Quote:
Originally posted by Ewoklover

pretty cheap too(used)

oi.. yeah i got into an accident in one of those, flipped the car twice and landed on the passenger side. both of us survived no problems :] lol. buut.. we were going in a 55 doing 45 and the car went out of control from nowhere.. not sure what my buddy was doing but started swerving, over-corrected and down we went.
Mmmm.
2005-04-07, 5:54 PM #25
Quote:
Originally posted by Crimson
Truth, which is why my Spec V has an LSD :) Only way I know of to help with the weight transfer is to put super stiff suspension on the rear. Or get adjustable ones so you can be relatively comfortable when you're not racing, then beef it up when you need it.

We just put KYB AGX (adjustable struts/shocks) and an Eibach ProKit on my cousin's Sunfire...body roll is almost gone now :p

I'd love an LSD for my car, but it's about 1200 bucks for a good one (Quaife..lifetime warranty, even when raced)..
woot!
2005-04-07, 6:21 PM #26
Actually, the Quaife really isn't an LSD. Can't remember the name for it, but basically if one tire gets up in the air or stuck, you're still buggered. It's more ideal for drag racing, rather than rally racing.
2005-04-07, 8:52 PM #27
Quote:
Originally posted by Mister_Sinister
Actually, the Quaife really isn't an LSD. Can't remember the name for it, but basically if one tire gets up in the air or stuck, you're still buggered. It's more ideal for drag racing, rather than rally racing.

Automatic Torque Biasing differential. It's used by Formula 1 cars, so it's just fine on the turns. It just happens to be excellent for drag racing as well. Not sure what you mean about being screwed if you get a tire in the air or stuck (aren't you screwed anyway if your tire is stuck? ;))

Quote:
We just put KYB AGX (adjustable struts/shocks) and an Eibach ProKit on my cousin's Sunfire...body roll is almost gone now :p

I'd love an LSD for my car, but it's about 1200 bucks for a good one (Quaife..lifetime warranty, even when raced)..

Nice. I'd like to get the Nismo suspension for my car, but Nismo stuff is overpriced. Nice, but overpriced :(
Little angel go away
Devil has my ear today
2005-04-07, 9:03 PM #28
Look around a bit more, drive some stuff around. For $12k you can get a LOT better then a V6 Mustang...
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-04-07, 10:23 PM #29
Quote:
Originally posted by Mister_Sinister

http://monkeywrenchracing.com/quaife_helical_limited_slip_differential_toyota_celica_mr2_s_matrix_2000_.html

Were you thinking of PhantomGrip? :confused:

Incidentally, I don't plan on rallying my Corolla nor my MR2..not quite enough ground clearance, thanks to Intrax and Eibach. :p
woot!
2005-04-07, 10:36 PM #30
Link doesn't work man. Anyways, from what I remember, the Quaife differential works quite differently from a regular LSD (like a Ralliart LSD, for example). How exactly, I don't remember. It's been awhile since I read about the difference.

Anyways, JD, you WILL do what I said. You have no choice in the matter!
2005-04-07, 10:39 PM #31
http://monkeywrenchracing.com/quaife_differentials.html

Try that :)
woot!
2005-04-07, 11:51 PM #32
Quote:
Originally posted by NoESC
Look around a bit more, drive some stuff around. For $12k you can get a LOT better then a V6 Mustang...

Dude, you don't understand. I don't have time for this ****. I have work to go to, not to mention my insurance stopped paying for my rental today. I really don't want to be paying $25 a day and waiting for my off days to go find a car. I'm buying this Mustang for $12,000 when you could easily sell this to any dealership and get $14,500 from them, wherein they would turn around and probably sell it for $17,000! Not to mention my Dad is both an auto mechanic and plane mechanic, and has gone through more cars in his lifetime than I ever will, so if he says it's a great car and a great deal, than it is.

The car is being driven down from East Texas tommorrow, I'm meeting it half way, so it'll probably get pretty dirty. I'll wash it and everything Saturday morning and post pictures then.
2005-04-08, 12:06 AM #33
[http://www.back2themax.com/gallery/carsstunts/B2TMLightMeJohnny.JPG]
2005-04-08, 1:52 PM #34
Mad Max baby!

Congrats on the car, that's a great deal. Even with the Texas dirt :)
Little angel go away
Devil has my ear today

↑ Up to the top!