Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Stuff sucks.
Stuff sucks.
2005-04-08, 4:32 PM #1
I was driving my mom's car, and as I turned onto a highway and sped up, I heard this pop sound as I neared 55 mph. I was trying to accelerate a bit faster than normal, but wasn't pressing the engine even past 4000 rpm. (It typically idles between 700-800 rpm.) But it was somewhere around that time it poped, and I heard it rattling like a som'b**ch. Transmission apparently crapped out, so I couldn't get past 2nd gear, and it wouldn't "grab" the gear unless I pushed it up to about 3000-3500 rpm. Wouldn't do anything in 'drive', so I had to put it manually into 3rd gear. So hear I am on a highway, able to go about 30 mph, rattling loud as a semi truck (well, almost). GO ME!

I had an errand to do on the way back home. The car was still moving, no need to stop, right? And it's right on the highway, so I pull in park it, buy some bread, come back out and start the car, and... DUH. Can't back up. So I have no choice but to open the door and push the car back with my leg.

Anyway, I finally make it home, the transmission pops a few more times once I'm in town, but nothing seems to change on it.

So, out of the 3 vehicles we have at my house, mine is the only one currently able to run, and it is currently unliscensed and uninsured. My stepdad is the only one bringing in an income right now, and he works *way* outside of town, about 30-45 minutes away, at least.

Incidently, I have about 90-some dollars in my paypal account from a few things I sold on ebay. Just enough to get my liscense plates renewed. Bye-bye, guitar upgrades. :(

*sigh*

[It's also strange that I've had a number of dreams about the transmission going out in this same car while I was driving it, even with the same sounds. I've never been in a vehicle when the transmission went out of it, so I had no idea what it sounded like. But meh. I'm used to wierd stuff like that.]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-04-08, 4:52 PM #2
Vaccuums suck more than stuff.

:|
D E A T H
2005-04-08, 4:52 PM #3
He has a point, but vacuums are the opposite of stuff
nope.
2005-04-08, 5:05 PM #4
Bleh. Things are worse than I thought. We're going to have to drop our internet connection and digital cable to make bills anymore.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-04-08, 5:08 PM #5
Quote:
Originally posted by DogSRoOL
Bleh. Things are worse than I thought. We're going to have to drop our internet connection and digital cable to make bills anymore.

:(
D E A T H
2005-04-08, 5:30 PM #6
Did you forget to check the tranny fluid for the past few years? Anyway, a tranny should be able to hold up to any acceleration the engine can put out (in stock form), so don't beat yourself up as if it was your fault.
2005-04-08, 5:51 PM #7
I know it's not my fault. That thing's been up to way higher rpms. But it's never really shifted smoothly under high accelerations, which I imagine wasn't good on it in the long haul.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-04-08, 6:13 PM #8
Hehe, tranny.
2005-04-08, 6:30 PM #9
/me gives Vinny a dirty look

That sucks about the...everything. Sorry man. Look into NetZero dialup at least.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2005-04-08, 8:52 PM #10
that definetely sucks. been in that kind of situation twice. the first time it was the transmission but i drove the car to death anyway, ended up going into debt getting another one, and that one decided to have a few bad sensors 2 months after i bought and payed it off. got it fixed though!
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2005-04-08, 10:06 PM #11
The transmison on my first car died like that. It didn't catch first gear on hills very well and I ahd to really step on the gas. Eventually, it jsut stopped grabbing the gears altogehter. Got it about a half mile from home before it kicked the bucket.
Pissed Off?
2005-04-08, 10:08 PM #12
At least my car is a stick.

Automatic is for lazy people. :p
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-04-09, 4:52 AM #13
Over here, I think the majority of cars are manual. And you'll most likely be learning a manual when you drive.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.

↑ Up to the top!