Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → the future... and stuff
the future... and stuff
2004-05-02, 3:00 PM #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3647437.stm

hmmm. it's actually worth a read, and a discussion. What applications etc. would you find in it, etc etc etc.

------------------
Saberopus: omfq musical genuis j00 >mozart
Thrawn42689: Mozart = n00b
2004-05-02, 3:14 PM #2
There's nothing quite like having lasers fired directly into your eye.

------------------
Genesis 22:2-5 - And God said unto Abraham "You must kill your son, Isaac." And Abraham said "What? I can't hear you! You'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said "Check, check, check, check. Jerry, can you pull the high end out. I'm getting some hiss up here."
Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness

Catalog of Electronic Components - Complete IC data sheets
National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-05-02, 3:15 PM #3
sounds kinda dangerous having lasers shot at your eye. very interesting though.

------------------
Truth is in the eye of the beholder.
Forum Rules
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2004-05-02, 3:19 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Within five years, such systems could be incorporated into mobile phones or hand-held computers and appear to the brain as a brightly lit widescreen TV version of what is on the device.</font>
Ugh. That's all we need: People watching stuff with their mobile phones while driving.

------------------
Genesis 22:2-5 - And God said unto Abraham "You must kill your son, Isaac." And Abraham said "What? I can't hear you! You'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said "Check, check, check, check. Jerry, can you pull the high end out. I'm getting some hiss up here."

National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Online - Legal requirements for wiring projects.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-05-02, 3:23 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Crimson:
sounds kinda dangerous having lasers shot at your eye. very interesting though.</font>

Its been done for years. Also, these are *very* low power lasers...VERY low power.

------------------
I used to believe that we must fight the future, lest change come without our consent. I was wrong. The truth is that we must embrace the future, for only with change can we remain the same.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-05-02, 3:25 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
Ugh. That's all we need: People watching stuff with their mobile phones while driving.</font>

Yeah, but by then, the cars will be doing all the driving for you. It'd be just like Minority Report..

------------------
«»The Scratchware Manifesto
thoughts from beyond observance

[This message has been edited by Jin (edited May 02, 2004).]
2004-05-02, 3:30 PM #7
Man, did they name that article badly. Lasers are high-powered light beams. That is not what is going to be fired into people's eyes. They would be extreamly low powered light beams, even lower then a TV probably, since the source is so much closer to your eye. But, yah. whatever. No one cares.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
Scions of Light[/i]
The Never Ending Story Squared[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-05-02, 3:36 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Noble Outlaw:
Lasers are high-powered light beams.</font>
Not necessarily. Laser light is a type of light that results from the wavelengths of the light all being the same, or very nearly the same.

------------------

Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-05-02, 3:59 PM #9
Darn people knowing more then me about light.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Scions of Light[/i]
The Never Ending Story Squared[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-05-02, 4:05 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Noble Outlaw:
Darn people knowing more then me about light.</font>

Its ok, you cant win them all.... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
I used to believe that we must fight the future, lest change come without our consent. I was wrong. The truth is that we must embrace the future, for only with change can we remain the same.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-05-02, 8:44 PM #11
This application will be incredible. I have worked with all kinds of different lasers for the past 10 years or so and I know it will be awesome to experience this. Full peripheral video games are just one of the amazing things that will come out of this. Not VR full peripheral. REAL full peripheral vision.
I saw this mentioned about 4 years ago in Photonics Spectra Magazine

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
HTP
babble, babble, b!tch, b!tch, rebel, rebel, party, party.

[This message has been edited by Darth Evad (edited May 02, 2004).]

↑ Up to the top!